Does God Forbid Meditation?

I hear that meditation and deep relaxation induces a significant healing effect on the body and can cure all sorts of diseases. However, I read on another website that God forbids/doesn't like people going into deep trances that are a result of serious meditation (or so that's what they said). The Bible says to meditate on God's Word, but other meditation says to clear your mind and not think of anything. So, is it honestly a sin to meditate unless you meditate on God's Word? And if deep trances and mind clearing allow the body to heal itself, then why is it a sin/forbidden? Personally myself, I like to listen to Buddhist music and meditate because it helps me gain control over my anger (I tend to become angry and frustrated easily, but I wouldn't say I have anger issues). So, would it be a sin? And no, I don't intend to convert to Buddhism I just like their music. Sorry to ask such a strange question but I'm curious. I want to be good Christian and make God happy, but I do believe in the healing effects of meditation.

I understand why your asking the question but can only add a little to hopefully help :)

The Word of God does say to meditate on His Word day and night, and I think in Kings or Samuel it also talks about trances, but your right we have to be discerning and recognise when we are exposing access points/gates to ungodly spirits. It's a little like Yoga as I heard that this is a no, no for Christian again because you are expected to open your gates and is linked to Hinduism and Buddhism thus leaving one vulnerable to other spirits and we only want the Holy Spirit to dwell within us.

I hope another member can assist you more but that was my 2p addition :)
God Bless you.

We should only meditate on God's word. Clearing our minds of everything and meditation is a way to avoid the overall responsibilities that we as Christians have. Look at the roots of meditation, it comes from idolatry, false religions and cults. Do you really want to associate with something like that? Scripture tells us to avoid pagan practices, and I would have to list meditation as one of them.

Also this may be off topic, but the purple text on the bottom that says "If you can’t love yourself, you can’t love another; and if you can’t love another then you can’t love God!" is backwards according to the scripture. In fact loving ourselves isn't even a part of scripture. remember, Christ tells us to die to ourselves. We should have a proper self image of ourselves and who we are in Christ, but never are we told to love ourselves.

I hear that meditation and deep relaxation induces a significant healing effect on the body and can cure all sorts of diseases. However, I read on another website that God forbids/doesn't like people going into deep trances that are a result of serious meditation (or so that's what they said). The Bible says to meditate on God's Word, but other meditation says to clear your mind and not think of anything. So, is it honestly a sin to meditate unless you meditate on God's Word? And if deep trances and mind clearing allow the body to heal itself, then why is it a sin/forbidden? Personally myself, I like to listen to Buddhist music and meditate because it helps me gain control over my anger (I tend to become angry and frustrated easily, but I wouldn't say I have anger issues). So, would it be a sin? And no, I don't intend to convert to Buddhism I just like their music. Sorry to ask such a strange question but I'm curious. I want to be good Christian and make God happy, but I do believe in the healing effects of meditation.
I don't have much information on this subject, but it came to mind I want to study it. Here are some verses on the subject:

Balaam:
Numbers 24:3-5 (KJV)

And he took up his parable, and said, Balaam the son of Beor hath said, and the man whose eyes are open hath said: He hath said, which heard the words of God, which saw the vision of the Almighty, falling [into a trance], but having his eyes open: How goodly are thy tents, O Jacob, [and] thy tabernacles, O Israel!​

Peter:
Acts 10:9-10 (KJV)

On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour: And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,​

Paul:
Acts 22:17 (KJV)

And it came to pass, that, when I was come again to Jerusalem, even while I prayed in the temple, I was in a trance;​

These are only the verses that use "trance" but the same Greek word is used in Mark 5:42, Mark 16:8 and Luke 5:26 as "astonishment". I believe we can agree that also Daniel, Ezekiel, Isaiah and John the Revelator were also in such a state just by their testimony. There are 14 verses that use the word meditate and have different Greek or Hebrew words. Then there's the "be in the Spirit" which no one really locks down into a tangible state because it's not something anyone can explain but must be experienced. Women who've given birth can describe it, but until one experiences it, it's merely a shadow of reality. So... to answer your question, God's meditation or man's meditation. You know the devil would duplicate a false version of something important. The words in Greek and Hebrew lend the idea that you are to "roll around in your thinking" or "revolve in the mind" the word of God. I wrote up something that may help. Check it out here: Meditation: Key for Fruitful Christians

Meditation is absolutely necessary if you have any hope of knowing God, and following after the Spirit of God. Meditation is very very important, but it is not just the meditation part, but what you are meditating on. (the subject part) Meditation is NOT something you do for a few minutes a day, it is something you do all day long, every day!!

Jos 1:8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

Php 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Isa 26:3 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.

Col 3:1 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
Col 3:2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.

Rom 8:5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.

Thank you so much, guys, for your help! I do understand a bit more, but I still don't understand why meditation is a sin even though it has healing properties. I mean, surely it cannot be like a Pagan ritual or something that uses evil spirits to heal or what not. Is it?

@Blessed4JC Thankyou for your help, I do like your opinion alot! When you say "leaving one vulnerable to other spirits and we only want the Holy Spirit to dwell within us." are you implying that there are other spirits associated with other religions, so like the Holy Spirit is part of Christianity, and another spirit dwells with people of Buddhism, etc? What do you mean by 'other spirits'? Malicious ones? I read on other websites that meditating brings forth evil spirits, demonic ones. But surely demons cannot heal people right? Evil spirits make people sick and worsen them, they cannot heal can they? I know when Jesus healed people in the street, the synagogues accused Jesus of using demonic powers to heal. So does this prove that of course the Holy Spirit heals, but demons can too? Is this why meditation heals illnesses?

@Klub Thankyou too for your help. I understand that the 'normal meditation' came from Taoist and Buddhist religions in India and China, and yes they are pagan religions. I also read in the Bible that Jesus meditated in the Garden as well, or is 'meditation' just a translation thing. So, what meditation did Jesus do? Is it just a word to describe another form of praying? I don't think meditation allows you to avoid responsibilities, I think it's to take time out to calm down from our busy lifestyle. I know we all have a role in life to carry out, but is setting aside some time to just be wrong? Thank you for your help again. Actually my old Home Economics teacher used to be Buddhist but then he became a Christian. :) And sorry about my little message signature thing... I'll change it right away.

@Abdicate I saw your website and it's great! Thank you so much for your help as well. So I guess real meditation is thinking about the Word of God, and the Devil would try to get people thinking otherwise. And in reference to the previous message, Jesus did meditate in the Garden, but the Bible was created after Jesus, so what did Jesus meditate on? Or, as before, is meditation being taken too literally?

Oh and terribly sorry for not mentioning this before, but what I mean by meditation is not the chanting and spirit opening and visualising and other stuff like that, but I mean to just sit down, relax and not think of anything. I didn't intend to mean the religious spirit opening to the world, I do know that's kinda dangerous. I apologise, my version of meditation is to not think of anything, say nothing and do not move. :(

Jesus did meditate in the Garden
For 40 days before He started His ministry He fasted prayed and meditated. This is what meditate means in Greek:

1. to care for, attend to carefully, practise
2. to meditate i.e. to devise, contrive
a. used of the Greeks of the meditative pondering and the practice of orators and rhetoricians​

Meditation isn't sitting with an empty mind and humming. So let's take the word in Hebrew for meditate - hagah.

1. to murmur (in pleasure or anger).
(by implication) to ponder.

KJV other translations: imagine, meditate, mourn, mutter, roar, X sore, speak, study, talk, utter.

Notice God told Joshua to speak it out!

Joshua 1:8 (KJV)
This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.​

Why?? Because faith comes by hearing the word of God and it's more powerful if YOU are the one that confesses the word of God! That will do you more good than thinking of nothing. After all, to renew our minds:

Romans 12:2 (KJV)
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.​

After all, what is to renew? To make new, to renovate. How can you do that without something NEW to think on? :D

This is why the word of God says:

Philippians 4:8 (KJV)
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.​

Ok, so I'm not ready to reveal it all, but I've been studying the power of feelings, thoughts, and words. There are 1870 verses with something about lips, mouths, words, thoughts, confess.

That's 6% of the word of God. This 6% guides us to overcoming once we accept Jesus! Feelings generate thoughts; thoughts generate words; words contain life and death and whatever we speak makes life or death and we eat the fruit from it. How so? One can believe something in their head, but it's the heart where it's more important.

Jeremiah 17:9 (KJV)
The heart [is] deceitful above all [things], and desperately wicked: who can know it?​

If you look up deceitful, it's literally tracked, full of footprints. Even today messy relationship, one may say, "they just walked all over me" and what's the cause? Brokenhearted. That's why Jesus came!

Isaiah 61:1 (KJV)
The Spirit of the Lord GOD [is] upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to [them that are] bound;​

Luke 4:18 (KJV)
The Spirit of the Lord [is] upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,​

The events we experience in our lives, messes with us because of the sins of others and our own sins, which is why our heart is "desperately wicked" (a terrible translation), it's literally desperate, incurable, sick and woeful. The word "wicked" isn't even in the word of God. So let's read it from the Hebrew:

Jeremiah 17:9
The heart entirely foot-printed, melancholy, feeble and sick: who can comprehend?​

What a huge difference! Isn't this the very definition of brokenhearted. So reading, meditating, muttering, the word of God tells our hearts, with our own words, the promises of God to renew our thinking (aka change our minds, to repent). I hope this helps.

Ohhh ok! So repeatedly telling yourself the Word of God changes the way you think. You ultimately change who you are by affecting your heart with the Word of God. This does help me a lot! Thank you so much for your time and effort! God Bless.

Thank you so much, guys, for your help! I do understand a bit more, but I still don't understand why meditation is a sin even though it has healing properties. I mean, surely it cannot be like a Pagan ritual or something that uses evil spirits to heal or what not. Is it?

@Blessed4JC Thankyou for your help, I do like your opinion alot! When you say "leaving one vulnerable to other spirits and we only want the Holy Spirit to dwell within us." are you implying that there are other spirits associated with other religions, so like the Holy Spirit is part of Christianity, and another spirit dwells with people of Buddhism, etc? What do you mean by 'other spirits'? Malicious ones? I read on other websites that meditating brings forth evil spirits, demonic ones. But surely demons cannot heal people right? Evil spirits make people sick and worsen them, they cannot heal can they? I know when Jesus healed people in the street, the synagogues accused Jesus of using demonic powers to heal. So does this prove that of course the Holy Spirit heals, but demons can too? Is this why meditation heals illnesses?

Hi Izabella, yes your additional post regarding what you actually meant by meditating did give more clarity! :)
Yes when I said other spirits I do mean demonic spirits/ungody spirits yes. I do not believe ungodly spirits heal no I don't; the spirits are demonic so their aim is not to heal....;)

I glad other members have given more advice for you on this subject.

Stay blessed:)

Back