Does Hebrews 6 mean that I can't be forgiven?

So apostasy can't be forgiven? I was baptized as a child, I went to church with my family, I professed to being Christian and I prayed sometimes. One time in particular, my dog nearly died after biting into a live electrical cord and I remember going on the front porch to pray and I asked God to save her. She lived and I genuinely believed she was saved because of my prayer to God. But after all was said and done, I never really followed the Bible. I didn't know what the Bible even said because I never bothered to read it. I don't even know if I was truly saved? In 2015-2018, I declared I wasn't a Christian and I said that I didn't believe. I would make fun of Christians on Facebook, I would mock them for praying and I said a lot of blasphemous things about God and Jesus. I remember saying that maybe Satan is actually the good one because he gives us free will and God condemns us to Hell so I definitely said they're no better than Satan. It wasn't until the last three years that I started to worry about what happens after we die and whether or not I'll go to Hell and it wasn't until very recently that I'm actually starting to believe and feel drawn to God. I actually feel touched over who God is and what Jesus Christ did for us. For example, I like to listen to John Piper recite Romans 8 on YouTube and it brings tears to my eyes listening to it and I have most of it rememberized now. I'm worried that I can't be forgiven though because of what Hebrews 6 says.

Hello NickH;

God bless you and thank you for sharing your in depth honesty. Now that is a testimony!

Apostasy is a total abandonment, every word, action and deed with God. Perhaps the person who received Jesus at one time was a fabricated pronouncement when they got saved. So as the person goes through the rest of their life without an acknowledgement of God will not be forgiven. Why? Because when we don't honor His Only Begotten Son, Jesus will go to the Father not knowing who that person is. I personally shudder at that thought - Jesus not knowing me.

Please read and meditate on 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12, 2 Now concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him, we ask you, brothers, 2 not to be quickly shaken in mind or alarmed, either by a spirit or a spoken word, or a letter seeming to be from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. 3 Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, 4 who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God. 5 Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? 6 And you know what is restraining him now so that he may be revealed in his time. 7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work. Only he who now restrains it will do so until he is out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will kill with the breath of his mouth and bring to nothing by the appearance of his coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, 10 and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, 12 in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness. - ESV

What I feel you are confessing is what we all encounter in our faith walk with Jesus. We waver! When I read what you wrote,

It wasn't until the last three years that I started to worry about what happens after we die and whether or not I'll go to Hell and it wasn't until very recently that I'm actually starting to believe and feel drawn to God. I actually feel touched over who God is and what Jesus Christ did for us. For example, I like to listen to John Piper recite Romans 8 on YouTube and it brings tears to my eyes listening to it and I have most of it rememberized now. I'm worried that I can't be forgiven though because of what Hebrews 6 says.

NickH,
from what I read I believe you are truly saved from your heart, and it was Jesus who reached out and embraced you when you began to see the Truth and how God drew you back to Him. That awakening now allows you to get back into the heart of worship with Jesus. Hopefully you can share your story with someone else who is struggling with their faith, or lack of.

You'll be blessed with other's posts soon, so be open and encouraged.

You have your whole life in front of
you, brother. Today is a brand new day. Keep the faith!

God bless you, NickH, and your whole family.

So apostasy can't be forgiven? I was baptized as a child, I went to church with my family, I professed to being Christian and I prayed sometimes. One time in particular, my dog nearly died after biting into a live electrical cord and I remember going on the front porch to pray and I asked God to save her. She lived and I genuinely believed she was saved because of my prayer to God. But after all was said and done, I never really followed the Bible. I didn't know what the Bible even said because I never bothered to read it. I don't even know if I was truly saved? In 2015-2018, I declared I wasn't a Christian and I said that I didn't believe. I would make fun of Christians on Facebook, I would mock them for praying and I said a lot of blasphemous things about God and Jesus. I remember saying that maybe Satan is actually the good one because he gives us free will and God condemns us to Hell so I definitely said they're no better than Satan. It wasn't until the last three years that I started to worry about what happens after we die and whether or not I'll go to Hell and it wasn't until very recently that I'm actually starting to believe and feel drawn to God. I actually feel touched over who God is and what Jesus Christ did for us. For example, I like to listen to John Piper recite Romans 8 on YouTube and it brings tears to my eyes listening to it and I have most of it rememberized now. I'm worried that I can't be forgiven though because of what Hebrews 6 says.
you can be forgiven to commit apostasy as stated you 100 % DENY Jesus Christ ..IF you knew my former ways i sued God name in vain did many things i am forgiven .the unpardonable sin is to die with Out Christ. if you have concerns follow 1john 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. what does that tell you ? might i ad i love this promise

1 John 5:13​

“These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.” by faith we accept what his promises say in the Bible

Last edited:
Perhaps your prayer for your dog was an event that God would begin showing His reality to you. Apparently you were correct in 2015-2018 in saying you weren't a Christian. But now it appears God is truly drawing you to Him and Heb 6 does not apply, otherwise Apostle Paul would have never been saved who wreaked havoc on the Churches hauling many to prison and putting some to death.
Hebrews 6 has more to do with those Jewish believers who had experienced the wonders and freedom in Christ to revert back to their old sacrificial system where Hebrews explain was a faing system with an outdated priesthood now replaced by the new risen High Priest Jesus Christ.

No......The ONLY thing that can not be forgiven is the rejection of Jesus Christ.

Many, if not most Christians today went through a time in their lives when they lived in sin and did things that that should not have done.
I would say that the majority of Christians relate to the Prodigal Son because they were one.

My brother......it is God who give us "free will"....not Satan. Satan had free will and he made the wrong choice.

Now....Hebrews 6:4-6 does not teach that Christians can lose their salvation!!!!!!!!

Correct CONTEXTUAL exegesis of that Scripture is what YOU need my brother.

Hebrews 6"6......
"If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame."

There are many interpretations to the Scripture and I am not a scholar.

1st of all, notice the 1st word in the verse....."IF". That one little word makes this a "Hypothetical case". There is no statement that it will or can happen in other words.

Then others say that this is focused on "make-believers". They profess to be born again but in fact are not.

Matthew 7:22-23 Jesus speaks to this same thing when He said.................
"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

In other words.....they were never saved to begin with.

Then others say that the writer of Hebrews is speaking directly to the "Diaspora". Jewish believers who said Jesus died for their sins but they still had to obey the Law and Jewish holidays to be saved.

Now in the library of the Dallas Theological Seminary there was a publication named "Bibliotheca Sacra". In it is an exegesis of Hebrews by Dr. John B. Rowell.

In it he says.....which makes complete sense to me by the way that the writer of Hebrews is writing to saved people. They have been enlightened!
The context and actual words lead to us understanding that the writer is not talking about salvation but the REWARDS which are the results of salvation.

Verse 6 says.........."IF they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance"......Not salvation but to repentance!

Then actually...in the original Greek, the phrase "And then fell away".......FELL AWAY is the word "parapito" and it means to fall down or stumble.

Remember David "fell away".............but he was not lost.
Peter "fell away".....................................but he was not lost.
Jonah "fell away"....................................but he was not lost.

You stumbledyou did not lose your salvation. No Christiancan lose something that they did nothing to get. Salvation is a GIFT from God which comes with a NO refund clause!

NickH This is the approach I like to take.

If you are born again, then you are His Son/child.
Remembering that as His Son/child, He will chastise (punish/correct) those whom He loves. Heb 12:6-11.
Couple that with the fact that God is not willing that any should perish. 2 Pet 3:9.

It would follow that if a born again Son/child of God fell so much away that God would first chastise that child and if it produced little to no results, and matters grew worse, God would take that Child Home before he/she reached the point of no return.

God is a far greater father in his love and concern for his children than any physical father could be. We can be absolutely certain of God's love. Knowing the depth of this love we can be certain that God will never truly leave us. We may wonder from him for awhile, but he is always near observing to be sure we are okay or will be okay in the end.

God is a far greater father in his love and concern for his children than any physical father could be. We can be absolutely certain of God's love. Knowing the depth of this love we can be certain that God will never truly leave us. We may wonder from him for awhile, but he is always near observing to be sure we are okay or will be okay in the end.
That reminds me of a statement at a Conference I attended in '87, that stuck with me since...
"Our walk is mainly dependent on Him holding our hand, rather than on us holding His."-Rod Rosenbladt

Or He dumps a skip loader of mud in our path to slow us down. :rolleyes:

For me it has never been mud in my path. No, I've often provided my own excrement to wallow through sometimes God though was there at the end to cheer me on and clean me up at the end of a stretch. God has though put hills and mountains in the path to reveal my need for his help to pass through various parts of my journey, it is at these times I've required supernatural intervention to pass and it was necessary to believe God could do it.

God is greatly patient with us. In his great love he forgives our sins. Those who are truly lost to God have chosen to be lost to God.

Back