Does The Bible Teach That All Christians Must Evangelize?

Thanks for your responses. Yeah, I'm not sure that guilt and obligation are healthy motivators to share the good news. Certainly willing obedience to God is a good motivator and also love and concern for the lost are.

Does anyone know of any other Bible verses that are used to promote the universal evangelism doctrine?

It’s not only apostles that have the ministry of reconciliation and the role of Christ’s ambassadors—all believers do! Verses that reflect on this ministry of witness for all believers include:

Acts 1:8 (NLT)
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

2 Corinthians 5:18-20 (NLT)
And all of this is a gift from God, who brought us back to himself through Christ. And God has given us this task of reconciling people to him. 19 For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation. 20 So we are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, “Come back to God!”

Matthew 5:14-16 (NLT)
“You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. 15 No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.

1 Peter 3:15 (NLT)
Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it.

Philippians 2:14-16 (NLT)
Do everything without complaining and arguing, 15 so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people. 16 Hold firmly to the word of life; then, on the day of Christ’s return, I will be proud that I did not run the race in vain and that my work was not useless.

Colossians 4:5-6 (NLT)
Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity. 6 Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone.

1 Peter 2:9 (NLT)
But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light.

Thanks for your responses. Yeah, I'm not sure that guilt and obligation are healthy motivators to share the good news. Certainly willing obedience to God is a good motivator and also love and concern for the lost are.

Does anyone know of any other Bible verses that are used to promote the universal evangelism doctrine?

I have often heard Matthew 10:32-33 used to make such a case.
32 So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, 33 but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.
And also the various instances of the second great commandment : Love you neighbor as yourself. Drawing through inference that as a Christian you have prioritized salvation in taking care of yourself, is it possible to obey the command without doing the same for your neighbor?

But it seems some of the discussion posts are growing a bit circular since the terms are still a bit fuzzy. You mentioned that the the working definition of evangelism in the discussion with you friend did not include relationship evangelism. In your discussion, what does a perfectly obeyed "universal evangelism" mandate look like? Are you picturing every single Christian being prayerful about if/when/how to share within their circle of influence and being prepared (as we've mentioned from 1 Peter 3:15) should they be given that opportunity? Or does a "universal evangelism" mandate mean every Christian pushes beyond their circle, starting cold-conversations, passing tracts, making conversion attempts with every waitress, cab-driver, or other person they may bump into?

A friend recently urged me to adopt the basic position summarized below:
1. Evangelism is a universal command stated in Scripture.
2. Therefore, all Christians should evangelize.

Every Christian must be willing to present their testimony.... To give an explanation for the Hope and Faith in Christ that is within you....

But... This is NOT necessarily Evangelism....

Evangelism is a CALLING.. an Office... It literally means "Bringing the good news"....
Reference Ephesians 4...
There are MANY other offices listed..... We need every single one...

Evangelists are like the Obstetricians.... They "Birth" new Christians....

One thing you will encounter with Evangelists... They may be HIGHLY gifted at winning the Lost.... They can walk into a supermarket on Friday night and win 3 random people to Christ..... BUT... They may NOT have any talent at all for "Weaning babes off of Milk and onto Meat" - that is NOT their Calling... That's the job of Teachers... Etc.....

So.. Ignore those people.. They mean well... but that sort of thing just ends up causing trouble... Let the EVANGELIST go evangelize... That's what he is called to do.... but don't go trying to bang square pegs into round holes...

Thanks

Maybe this has been covered.. This is only my second time on the site and the first on this subject... What is meant by evangelize... The scripture does say that some are Called to Evangelize... but it also says in Matthew 28, vs 19 & 20

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost

Teaching them to Observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.

I personally believe that we are all called to Evangelize but not all are called to be Evangelists....

e·van·ge·list
iˈvanjəlist/
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who seeks to convert others to the Christian faith, especially by public preaching.
    synonyms:preacher, missionary, gospeler, proselytizer, crusader

Maybe this has been covered.. This is only my second time on the site and the first on this subject... What is meant by evangelize... The scripture does say that some are Called to Evangelize... but it also says in Matthew 28, vs 19 & 20

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost

Teaching them to Observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.

I personally believe that we are all called to Evangelize but not all are called to be Evangelists....

e·van·ge·list
iˈvanjəlist/
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who seeks to convert others to the Christian faith, especially by public preaching.
    synonyms:preacher, missionary, gospeler, proselytizer, crusader

Evangelism actually comes from the Latin Evangelium, which comes from the Greek Evangelion which means good news. To Evangelize means to spread the good news (Gospel).

Most "Evangelicals" do a very poor job of doing this. A saint once said something along the lines of "Go out and spread the Gospel, and use words if you must." Most of the people we bring to Christ follow our example not our words.

Jesus said go into all the world and preach the Gospel,
TO the 12 apostles who had been with him for the last 3 1/2 years.
So, they had direct contact with Jesus, were reliable, were trained, were then filled with the Holy Spirit.
You are a light set on a hill, you can't help but shine. Not everyone should be allowed to preach, If your carrying a baggage
of hurt and sins then you have other issues to deal with, preaching is not for you till you deal with those things.

Hi all

I'm aware that a good number of eminent evangelical leaders hold the position that evangelism is a duty for all Christians.

I'm wondering if anyone can post what the exact verses are in Scripture that clearly teach this?

Many thanks
ThinkingChristian

While there is a specific minister given to the church of an evangelist . That does not mean that Christians should not evangelise or go out into all the world and preach the gospel.
There are given to the church also teachers . (Eph) but Paul says of some ye should be teachers but still need to be taught . That is the milk of the Word. Every true BORN child of God should come to a point where they can articulate the hope that now lies within them and be able to lead others to Christ even as they were so led .
When Jesus said Go out into all the world starting at Jerusalem and then on outwards . What Happened? They all stopped in Jerusalem and perhaps Judeah . So God sent persecution to the church which scattered them out into the world where they then started preaching in all the world!
God said to Noah go out into all the world etc .What did they do? They found a pleasant valley and said let us stop here and make a name for ourselves and build a tower(steeple?) etc . But God came and scattered them also .
Proof texts are not encouraged by scripture that I am aware of . For while one scripture may clinch it for you .To another it may not .
For no man cometh to the truth or arrives at the truth ort comes to a knowledge of the truth .Either all at once or indeed by one verse. But is led step by step starting with the truth and with each step of truth arrives at the truth . Or to understanding .
but insofar as Jesus said after that the Holy Spirit shall come ye shall be my witnesses .
Much like the moon then that sits with the sun in heavenly places. and which in the darkest night when the moon still shines .Bares witness that the sun still shines and that there is coming a perfect day .
is not the moon or the lesser light to rule the night? and to whom does she not shine on?
But also Pauls admonition to be ALWAYS ready to give a good account of the hope that lieth with in you.
and what man who findeth water in the desert would not go and tell his neighbour of it? Unless it be to his shame he does not.
and what man waking up in a morgue would not seek to wake also his neighbour?
You can give and not love . But you cannot love and not give .
God so loved the world ..........who then is excluded? That he gave .
If then the Son was made conformable to the Father .Are we not made conformable to the Son? and "as the Father sent Him so Jesus said so Send I you"
How was he sent?
and where was he sent?
He to the lost sheep of the house of Isreal . We into all the world .
When God put Adam into the garden to tend it . He blessed him and said go into all the world and...
So that what he saw the father do in the garden of Eden .He was to do in the rest of the world.
What did Jesus say?"What I see the father doing that do I ."
Then I submit that what we see the Lord doing that we should do also .

in Christ
gerald

Well, why would you not spread the message of Jesus Christ?

Matthew 9:37-38, Matthew 28:19, Romans 1:16, Romans 10:10-17, 2 Timothy 4:5. etc., show how important evangelism is.

The simple answer is yes. We are commanded to preach the gospel by no other than our Lord and God himself, Jesus.
"Go ye [you in the plural] therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, unto the end of the world." Matthew 28: 19-20
"And he [Jesus] said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature [or all creation]. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved... " Mark 16: 15-16
To evangelize or to preach the gospel does not require one to have their own TV or radio program. And those who are called to be evangelists in the church are foremost in this gift as distinct from the other gifts required in the church for its functioning and growth.
Every true christian is an ambassador to Christ and the gospel: and one needs first of all to uphold and safeguard their own testimony of righteous living. Then one can speak to other people on a one-to-one basis at work, or at school, or at a bus stop, or where ever.
Evangelizing starts with simply telling other people what my Saviour has done for me, and then moving onto what Jesus can do for the person I am talking to.
Salvation can be a difficult subject for the "unlearned" to grasp initially; but there is usually opportunity for the offer to pray for a miracle or a healing to demonstrate faith and the truth. Practice, practice makes perfect. :)

Hi all

I'm aware that a good number of eminent evangelical leaders hold the position that evangelism is a duty for all Christians.

I'm wondering if anyone can post what the exact verses are in Scripture that clearly teach this?

Many thanks
ThinkingChristian

Here is a better way and you do not need a verse to teach you anything......
Simply fill your self to over flowing of the written word of God. The Word will do what it is created to do and you will NOT be able to stop it from FLOWING OUT OF YOU.

I was having a tought time feeling like I had missed some prime opertunities to share the Gospel of Christ. It began to eat at me and I cried out to our Heavenly Father....
First thing He did was to let me know it was alright and to relax. He then assured me that if He had needed me to minister right then and there, well I would not have had to wonder for I would have known that I known.

Then He told me to not be all conserned with this and simply keep renewing my mind with His written word. He said if I will be diligent to fill myself up with His word that it would do what it does and flow out. He said I would not have to be concerned for it will simply come forth and spill out. So to me this said,,,,,,,PROBLEM SOLVED...

Hope this helps
Have a gread day
Jim

Back