Does the choice of denomination really matter?

I have been reading a book about how all the denominations started in an effort to learn more about what my own denomination believes. I am torn between keeping the sabbath/ not keeping the sabbath, wearing jewellery/ not wearing jewellery. But at the end of the day do you think these things matter? Are these things of paramount importance?

You should be able affirm and support with a good conscience the core beliefs (the denominations view of what being a Christian is).

Beyond that, I have found that being in a congregation where I have issues with a few of the peripheral viewpoints helps me crystallize my own views. You must judge what is peripheral. Often it's not a case of who is right and who is wrong. Looking in to why I was taught something different in a past church, and why my present church teaches something different, and comparing them both to the scriptures can be a real faith builder.

But you must remember that the church determines what its teaching is, and you must never work against it. Rather you must try at all times to be a blessing to that congregation. Voicing reservations can let the pastor and other members know how they may help you understand their views, but this must always be done with respect and never in public.

I have been reading a book about how all the denominations started in an effort to learn more about what my own denomination believes. I am torn between keeping the sabbath/ not keeping the sabbath, wearing jewellery/ not wearing jewellery. But at the end of the day do you think these things matter? Are these things of paramount importance?

A belief or belief system should never contradict the Word of God, which is the only reason why it matters....With that said... I don't believe that the denomination is important in the aspect of who's right and who is wrong.... For the Bible says that we are all one. We have all been born into the same spirit and have the same Head of the Church.. Jesus our Messiah.

Denominations have been formed because people have chosen to believe or not believe different parts of the Bible. Wearing jewelery or not is mans interpretation of something that was written, and has no bearing upon the gospel of Jesus Christ... which is the foundation of the Body of Christ... or at least it should be.

The Bible says that the Sabbath was made for man. Made for us to rest at the very least one day a week. And the Holy Spirit spoke through the apostle paul to say let no man judge you on a Sabbath day (colossians 2:16)..... And in today's world where some people have to work on the Sabbath... their day of rest is usually on a different day.

Ask God what's important and ask Him to lead you to the why Scriptures and then trust that He will not steer you wrong... if you will follow His lead.

Blessings

Try out different places and go where you most feel "at home"....

There is a huge broad ocean of Christianity that falls under the auspices of "Orthodox" as defined by the Council of Nicea back in the day.

And after attending church and making friends in many, many "orthodox" denominations - I can say for certain:
They all contain wonderful faithful Christians.
They all have their own problems.
There is no perfect place.

Denominations are a result of sinful ignorance. Each have their own issues, generating strife and living by vain philosophies. The vast majority are false religions with people trying to fill the God-sized hole in their hearts, no difference than all the other religions of the world, sciences and philosophers, instead of turning to God Himself for a step-by-step, day-by-day, Spirit-led personal relationship. The truth is this:

Galatians 5:18 (KJV)
But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

So there are no laws to those that learn to be led by the Holy Spirit. In fact, I don't like the word "spirit" because both in Hebrew and Greek, it's "breath," God's breath, life, movement, not seen but its effect visible. He is a person, our downpayment on our salvation, our Friend and Comforter.

Beside the work of the devil, denominations are a result of not heeding this warning:

Galatians 5:25-26 (KJV)
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Besides, denominations are just clubs. The dues to get in: formulated prayers, be hygienic, have no real need.

James 1:27 (KJV)
Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, [and] to keep himself unspotted from the world.

It's just how I see it.

it's "breath," God's breath, life, movement, not seen but its effect visible

How awesome to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the very life, movement and effects of His personality and power reside inside the born again believer, coupled with the authority and dominion that He has given us in this world... we all should be doing some pretty mighty things nust like Jesus said in John 14:12

Hallelujah!

Catching up on some YouTube videos, I came across this one, which addresses the truth of denominations: "christians" vs. "jews" based on Jesus... it's not what you think. I love these guys!!

youtu.be/1QuikP3Eeko

At certain times in my life, I was a regular attender at a church, and felt a commitment to the ministry of that congregation in that community. But when I looked into formally joining, they gave me a copy of the local by-laws and the standards provided by the denomination hierarchy. I had been aware of a previous version but the denomination's national leadership had made some changes. I found that I could no longer affirm that I agreed with the thrust of the document. It had changed from a statement of the things the denomination believed and became an instrument to enforce the hierarchy's view of orthodoxy. Note that it wasn't the theology presented, it was the denomination's claim of authority over the hearts of the communicants, and the requirement that the prospective member affirm that authority.

I felt that they had every right to define their community in that way, but that I could no longer give them the statement of affirmation the denomination required.

So, while I remained an active participant, I declined actual membership, much to the dismay of both myself and to the local church leadership (Pastor and deacons). This meant that I could not vote at church business meetings, nor was it thought that I should be in a teaching position in Sunday-School, but I could help with most church ministries, including vacation Bible School, as long as I did not teach.

Many would have counseled me to give verbal assent to the requirements of the denomination, but I felt that doing so would be disrespectful to the denomination, and it was not my intent to disrespect them in any way.

I did continue at that congregation until I moved farther away. I was blessed by its ministry, and I pray that I was a blessing to them.

I think a lot of persons tend to make you feel a sense of guilt if you do not choose a particular denomination. I found a church just by coincidence and i felt at home, that is when I got saved,however, it was not the denomination my family was comfortable with. That guilt sometimes can prove to be numbing and stifling.

It's difficult to find somewhere where people just truly worship God. It seems like you are always breaking some rule and every church has different rules. It can get rather confusing.

I agree, I was never good at keeping rules that I never even knew about.
I know what God says though but rules are often just man made to keep people in line. And every church does have different rules, even forums seem to have rules, and I asked well what rule am I breaking thats not even in the Bible so how was I supposed to know, thats just one you've made up, that you didnt even tell me and then kept changing it?!

And it does seem there is rules for some people, then a different rule for others. Oy.

As for sabbath keeping and wearing jewellery.... well personally I am thankful for a day of rest so I would keep it. If others dont want to keep it its their loss. They can work if they want but I cant work 24/7!
Jewellery, well, I find it a hassle wearing jewellery so I dont but if others want to, I'm not going to judge them. I would not go flaunting how much jewellery like displaying all my wares, because God is going to give me an incorruptible crown. I cant afford jewellery anyway!

I think we need to ask God about these matters and what He says is important. I have found for everything God has a scripture in the Bible for is to hear about it.

I too would like to just go where people worship Him. He has led me to two churches in my area even though they are different denoms. I dont pledge to be a member because God can send me anywhere, I think some denoms want to be exclusive and thats not necssarily a good thing. They always saying well you dont follow that rule or do what that person says but sometimes you have to say well yes you have a rule but God didnt make that rule, and He wants me to obey Him first.

I believe the teaching is more important than a name tag.

The Sabbath, is a holy day, unto the Lord, given the Hebrews/Jews. A day to think of the Lord, read and hear HIs Word, give praise and glory to Him.

A saved and born again Christian, requires no special day, or time, to think of, fellowship with, read, study His Word or give praise and glory to Him.

Churches still maintain, a place for fellow worshippers to worship the Lord together, as well as a set place for others to come and hear His Word and learn about Him.

The World dictates what is acceptable To the World, too much makeup, too much jewelry, too risque' clothing. Church is not a fashion show, thus does not require one to come flaunting, but rather, come as you are; Humbled to be with fellows gathered together to worship the Lord....and for another, not yet in Christ; Come as you are; broken in spirit, seeking the one who can heal you, via His Power.

Just saying, think how the Lord would be happy to see you approaching Him. Some think, all decked out, others think humbled as the dust we are, with our insides beaming with His Light within us.

God Bless,
IJN

Back