Doing it twice

rtm3039

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Greetings brothers – and sister

I posted this in another location, but I am not sure how many people saw it and I wanted some additional comments (maybe guidance. I did get a couple of really wise remarks, to thanks.

I have decided that I want to be re-baptized. I was baptized as an infant, in the Catholic church. I feel it important to be baptized as described in the Bible. I’ve looked, but do not see clear guidance of how to be baptized. I have read; however, that the Greek word for baptism (baptizo) means to “dip into” or “immerse,” so maybe this is all the guidance we have?

I’ve heard that baptism is a public display of a personal decision and I am good with that. For the moment, at least for me, I feel it will provide a clear turning point in my regained faith.

Anyway, comments are always welcomed from those clearly wiser than I.

rtm3039

From my perspective, I don't think there is much advice to give here! :) You are right on track!
As you said, baptism is public confession of your faith. It is similar to circumcision, but is not a NT replacement of OT circumcision. The purpose of baptism is different. It is one of the sacraments ordained by Lord. For this reason, I believe infant baptism is not biblical. I have argued (friendly) on this topic with my reformed friends! I don't think it should be a dividing issue though. For that reason, I don't see your infant baptism as a true Bible defined baptism. It absolutely makes sense for you to go ahead with water baptism. Water baptism does not add anything to your faith or salvation. Rather it is an act of obedience. Just like obeying any of the other commands in the Bible. Through this you profess your faith to everyone. That is the main difference. There is only way of Baptism we see in Bible. Which is complete immersion. Because that is the equivalent spiritual experience. We were dead and buried, and we are brought back to life through regeneration. You would not see anything like sprinkling of water in Bible. I guess it came into practice because we cannot immerse little infants in water. You would be right to go ahead with complete immersion. Hope this helps!

Well Jesus was baptized in the Jordan river he didnt just stand in the shower, so gives you an idea of how much water is involved. He was also baptised by someone else (in this case, cousin John) he didnt just do it himself. And when he was, God did speak, the heavens opened and the holy spirit appeared descending on him as a dove and remained on him.

Have an understanding of what repent and remission of sins means. God wants to forgive you, but how can He if you dont confess your sins to Him?
Have a look in Acts the apsotles were baptising people right and left. Acts 2:38-41

Thats great news about your obedience in baptism and God has promised you His gift.

Well Jesus was baptized in the Jordan river he didnt just stand in the shower, so gives you an idea of how much water is involved. He was also baptised by someone else (in this case, cousin John) he didnt just do it himself. And when he was, God did speak, the heavens opened and the holy spirit appeared descending on him as a dove and remained on him.

Have an understanding of what repent and remission of sins means. God wants to forgive you, but how can He if you dont confess your sins to Him?
Have a look in Acts the apsotles were baptising people right and left. Acts 2:38-41

Thats great news about your obedience in baptism and God has promised you His gift.

Thanks Lanolin,both informative and funny.

"Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." (Acts 2:28)

From my perspective, I don't think there is much advice to give here! :) You are right on track!
As you said, baptism is public confession of your faith. It is similar to circumcision, but is not a NT replacement of OT circumcision. The purpose of baptism is different. It is one of the sacraments ordained by Lord. For this reason, I believe infant baptism is not biblical. I have argued (friendly) on this topic with my reformed friends! I don't think it should be a dividing issue though. For that reason, I don't see your infant baptism as a true Bible defined baptism. It absolutely makes sense for you to go ahead with water baptism. Water baptism does not add anything to your faith or salvation. Rather it is an act of obedience. Just like obeying any of the other commands in the Bible. Through this you profess your faith to everyone. That is the main difference. There is only way of Baptism we see in Bible. Which is complete immersion. Because that is the equivalent spiritual experience. We were dead and buried, and we are brought back to life through regeneration. You would not see anything like sprinkling of water in Bible. I guess it came into practice because we cannot immerse little infants in water. You would be right to go ahead with complete immersion. Hope this helps!

Revindran, I found your blog posting (What to learn from Fiery Furnace?) very interesting.
rtm3039

Agreed.

Greetings brothers – and sister

I posted this in another location, but I am not sure how many people saw it and I wanted some additional comments (maybe guidance. I did get a couple of really wise remarks, to thanks.

I have decided that I want to be re-baptized. I was baptized as an infant, in the Catholic church. I feel it important to be baptized as described in the Bible. I’ve looked, but do not see clear guidance of how to be baptized. I have read; however, that the Greek word for baptism (baptizo) means to “dip into” or “immerse,” so maybe this is all the guidance we have?

I’ve heard that baptism is a public display of a personal decision and I am good with that. For the moment, at least for me, I feel it will provide a clear turning point in my regained faith.

Anyway, comments are always welcomed from those clearly wiser than I.

rtm3039

You said...………..
"I have decided that I want to be re-baptized. I was baptized as an infant, in the Catholic church."

Now then, have YOU decided or has God made that clear to you?

Many of us fail to hear God speaking to us and I think that is exactly what has happened to you my brother.

If so...…..DO IT!

The baptism you experienced as an infant actualy meant nothing at all. You were a baby and had not concept of sin or salvation. You only knew two things as an infant...…..
1) I am hungry, somebody feed me.
2). My dipper is dirty, somebody change me.

Salvation requires a decision, a thought process, a choice.

Romans 10:9-10
"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the LORD Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Now remember, water baptism does not save you. It as just as you said, a public display of a personal choice.

You said...………..
"I have decided that I want to be re-baptized. I was baptized as an infant, in the Catholic church."

Now then, have YOU decided or has God made that clear to you?

Many of us fail to hear God speaking to us and I think that is exactly what has happened to you my brother.

If so...…..DO IT!

The baptism you experienced as an infant actualy meant nothing at all. You were a baby and had not concept of sin or salvation. You only knew two things as an infant...…..
1) I am hungry, somebody feed me.
2). My dipper is dirty, somebody change me.

Salvation requires a decision, a thought process, a choice.

Romans 10:9-10
"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the LORD Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Now remember, water baptism does not save you. It as just as you said, a public display of a personal choice.

Thank you, Sir

As you may, or may not, know, I am going through some difficult times right now. In comparison with the plight of so many, my difficulties as not as serious and I have way more reasons to be grateful. On several occasions, I have asked God to guide me through these turbulent times. When I pray, my mind tends to provide answers to my questions, but it is difficult to know if this is “just me” talking, or Divine guidance. I will admit that there has been several moments where I am sure it was God talking to me, through either other people’s comments or just random events.

So, to answer your question, I believe this is what God wants. My desire to do this did not come from any logical deductive reason, but from a genuine desire from my heart.

I am; however, still a work in progress. Little by little, I am getting better at accepting circumstances for what they are and not loosing hope. I find that when I accept that things will be what He wants them to be, the stress goes away. Granted, I later find reason to stress myself out again, but not sure how to go about changing that. It just seems that when things appear almost hopeless, something happens that raises my spirit.

Anyway, thank you for the insight.
rtm3039

Thank you, Sir

As you may, or may not, know, I am going through some difficult times right now. In comparison with the plight of so many, my difficulties as not as serious and I have way more reasons to be grateful. On several occasions, I have asked God to guide me through these turbulent times. When I pray, my mind tends to provide answers to my questions, but it is difficult to know if this is “just me” talking, or Divine guidance. I will admit that there has been several moments where I am sure it was God talking to me, through either other people’s comments or just random events.

So, to answer your question, I believe this is what God wants. My desire to do this did not come from any logical deductive reason, but from a genuine desire from my heart.

I am; however, still a work in progress. Little by little, I am getting better at accepting circumstances for what they are and not loosing hope. I find that when I accept that things will be what He wants them to be, the stress goes away. Granted, I later find reason to stress myself out again, but not sure how to go about changing that. It just seems that when things appear almost hopeless, something happens that raises my spirit.

Anyway, thank you for the insight.
rtm3039

My dear brother...…..WE ALL are works in progress!

We ALL have our own problems and situations in life. But God promised us that He would never forsake us or leave us and again...……...
since you feel like this is something you need to do then by all means DO IT!

Back