Drink

crossnote

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
drink,

the best of pipes were sought and found,
each were laid perfectly along the ground.
fitted together with seam tight perfection,
up to the faucet was made the connection.
a beautiful array of copper, from the main to the sink,
all to no avail until the studied one would drink.

(Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. John 5:39-40)

Hello Crossnote
Did you say 'studied one' for a purpose?
&
The scripture you quoted is there an implied link?
Yes 2404, a little bit of autobiography in this poem. (as well as the previous 'Dracula is Dead' poem).
Here, at one point I was finding myself getting so much into doctrinal exactness (studied one)/ (the laying of pipes), yet neglecting to drink (communing with our Lord), sort of Like the Church of Ephesus leaving it's First Love in Rev 2:4.
A common problem for many (not just me).
The quoted Scripture is a loose link, not quite a direct link, as the ones Jesus was addressing, had never gotten to 1st base although they were studied in their Traditions.

Yes 2404, a little bit of autobiography in this poem. (as well as the previous 'Dracula is Dead' poem).
Here, at one point I was finding myself getting so much into doctrinal exactness (studied one)/ (the laying of pipes), yet neglecting to drink (communing with our Lord), sort of Like the Church of Ephesus leaving it's First Love in Rev 2:4.
A common problem for many (not just me).
The quoted Scripture is a loose link, not quite a direct link, as the ones Jesus was addressing, had never gotten to 1st base although they were studied in their Traditions.
just starting to realise this the other week..
I think the verse that had me was psalm but I can't remember which one...
something along the lines of not aspiring to great things or things beyond my ability.

just starting to realise this the other week..
I think the verse that had me was psalm but I can't remember which one...
something along the lines of not aspiring to great things or things beyond my ability.
Via, is it this one or Ps 131:1?

Psalm 139:6 (KJV) Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

In your beginnings? ...a quick learner, it took me about 36 years to dismount from my 'perfect doctrine high horse'.

ooo, it was perseverance that won in the end..( hopefully for me too!!)šŸ˜Š

James 1:12​

English Standard Version​

12 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.
https://images.app.goo.gl/wEKeTxFjE1cRw5Gu5

In your beginnings? ...a quick learner, it took me about 36 years to dismount from my 'perfect doctrine high horse'.

Perhaps I misunderstand.

For me I spent a lot of time in study especially in two separate beginnings for me. I built knowledge slowly, but it was head knowledge especially in the beginning. It took time for that head knowledge to become understanding that it could be applied. Application of what we learn takes many years.

I had two beginnings in my Christian life sadly. One followed about 30 years later. In the last 10 years, God has shown me how to apply what I've learned more and more. One example, I struggled with what was taught about faith, what God said about faith in his word and how to apply it to my Christian walk. Faith is a grace that God gives, it is also something that grows and must be exercised like a muscle. This understanding didn't come all at once. God made it plain through trials and tests and the necessary use of this God given faith in my life.

Perhaps I misunderstand.

For me I spent a lot of time in study especially in two separate beginnings for me. I built knowledge slowly, but it was head knowledge especially in the beginning. It took time for that head knowledge to become understanding that it could be applied. Application of what we learn takes many years.

I had two beginnings in my Christian life sadly. One followed about 30 years later. In the last 10 years, God has shown me how to apply what I've learned more and more. One example, I struggled with what was taught about faith, what God said about faith in his word and how to apply it to my Christian walk. Faith is a grace that God gives, it is also something that grows and must be exercised like a muscle. This understanding didn't come all at once. God made it plain through trials and tests and the necessary use of this God given faith in my life.
I guess we had different trajectories. There was a long period in my Christian walk I guess you could call "A Quest for the Perfect Body of Truth" which sent me through Charismatic---> Non Denominational--->Reformed Baptist--->Lutheran<--->Calvinistic Reformed--->Anglican---> back to Non Denominational.
If anything it taught me the importance of God's Word over such writings as the '1689 London Confession of Faith/Book of Concord/Westminster/Belgic or the 1923 Book of Common Prayer. Although these are somewhat helpful, they should in nowise be a substitute for Scripture or prayer and/or devotion to our Lord.

Sounds like it. I grew up in a church that I thought was the true church, trusted that the Bible was inspired where as the writings of men might have truth. It was many years later that I questioned the church I attended. I was lost for a time and God brought me back, shook my entire world.

In this ne beginning I didn't know which church was teaching God's way. So I sought to understand God's word going to him and praying for the hunger and thirst. I had time on my hands to study many hours every day to seek understanding.

Later I sought out church's wherein I could fellowship asking that God show me the way. It was only at this time that I started to look into the various denominations and can only say that I am non-denominational at this time.

I'm thankful though that God gave me a time in life that I could prove many things in his word. God is truly a great teacher and shows us how to apply his word as well.

Back