Dumb Question

Jesus Freak

Previously DanaCovert68
I have possibly the dumbest question. Should I listen to people and have them persuade me to change my views? I ask this because of the now locked thread about homosexuals. People were telling me that I'm not to have an opinion, but let God be the one with my opinions. They were I think telling me also to condem homosexuals. I'm not going to do that, but just want at least one mods take on this question other than the famous,"what do you think?"

I've changed my mind based on what others have said, and other times I didn't.

You have a mind and are capable of choosing for yourself what to think and do. If you feel another person's argument makes sense, then you might consider changing your opinion.

God's is the most important voice to listen to, however, and one would be best off to follow His advice even if it seems to go against the flow.

BTW the thread was closed due to several reports and the general tone of the thread was headed south.

Oh okay. I will of course stick to my own opinions, because in the end they are what matter. Yes , we should consider the opinions of others, but , make up our own mind in the end.

Hello, possibly the simplest thought is to disagree the sin but love the sinner, we are all sinners saved by grace after all. I think it's not so much our opinion on subjects like this but our attitude toward it, hope this helps...

Hello, possibly the simplest thought is to disagree the sin but love the sinner, we are all sinners saved by grace after all. I think it's not so much our opinion on subjects like this but our attitude toward it, hope this helps...

You're saying this,"love the sinner, hate the sin." That's all you're saying. I don't really da that. Nutshell: I ended a friendship with someone because they acted like a child when we would talk. So, I'm not "loving the sinner , and hating the sin." How do I do that?

And what I mean is for the gay topic, people were saying it's wrong to love gays. Hate them is what I believe people were telling me to do. But I love them just like a normal person.

I think you're absolutely right to love them just as normal people as you put it. Loving as a Christian isn't optional, it's one of Christ's few commands, we love and we show grace by the power of his spirit because we have been shown his grace and his love. One of the first things we did when we came to Christ was to repent of works of the flesh, that we came to a place in our lives where we saw that we were sinners and needed God to forgive us. In that we were to repent of works of the flesh, disagree with the ways of the world and agree with the teachings of Jesus Christ, it's the foundation of who we are. You love the sinner by the power of the Holy Spirit within you according to God's idea of love, not our own.....hope this helps....

You're saying this,"love the sinner, hate the sin." That's all you're saying. I don't really da that. Nutshell: I ended a friendship with someone because they acted like a child when we would talk. So, I'm not "loving the sinner , and hating the sin." How do I do that?

And what I mean is for the gay topic, people were saying it's wrong to love gays. Hate them is what I believe people were telling me to do. But I love them just like a normal person.

Hello Dana.. To your first question, nothing wrong in applying logical reasoning.. Everyone should do that.. As long as the logical reasoning does not contradict the Word of God, it is okay.. When people selectively take scripture out of context, apply their reasoning and arrive at conclusions which contradict rest of the scripture, it is wrong!

Regarding love the sinner, hate the sin.. This is a difficult one.. I think the confusion comes from understanding what "love" means.. We have to go back to Bible! This is what Paul writes about love.. I think the 6th verse is very appropriate for the topic on homosexuals.. Love does not delight in evil.. I think it is about showing the burden we have for the other person in their wrongdoing.. When the love is true and genuine, it would be possible to do it without self boasting or pride..

1 Corinthians 13 - 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails

Back