Durian the fruit you either love or hate

Durian.jpg

Here's what they look like.

haha I don't know if its a Chinese thing, more of a Malay as it grows in more subtropical areas.
I've tried it in Singapore but its not a fruit that often gets imported into nz!

haha I don't know if its a Chinese thing, more of a Malay as it grows in more subtropical areas.
I've tried it in Singapore but its not a fruit that often gets imported into nz!

My wife ate lots of them in Taiwan and we saw them in China as well. Not sure if they were native to China or brought there from elsewhere. Do you know if they are native to Malay?

cp

My wife ate lots of them in Taiwan and we saw them in China as well. Not sure if they were native to China or brought there from elsewhere. Do you know if they are native to Malay?

cp

I just showed my wife the fruit here, and she has had it before and said it has an unusual smell and you can buy durian as a cake.

I just showed my wife the fruit here, and she has had it before and said it has an unusual smell and you can buy durian as a cake.

The small two bite sized cakes of durian are good. My wife and I though prefer the pineapple cakes of similar dimensions. These are very traditional in Taiwan and I believe China though I don't remember seeing them there. In Taiwan you see them everywhere.

cp

The small two bite sized cakes of durian are good. My wife and I though prefer the pineapple cakes of similar dimensions. These are very traditional in Taiwan and I believe China though I don't remember seeing them there. In Taiwan you see them everywhere.

cp

I'm sorry, Chuck, but nothing, and I mean nothing, beats good ol' thick, moist chocolate cake! 😎 Mmmmmmmm!1611084696451.png

Chocolate cake is good. I happen to love chocolate mousse as well. Well maybe almost anything made from chocolate. I won't bolt the door when I see you coming with chocolate in any form. :) 🤗:D

cp

According to Wikipedia the tree is native to Borneo and Sumatra, but the most named varieties are from Thailand and Malaysia.

It's got a custardy texture which is quite nice, though people are initially put off by the smell.

I prefer mangoes!

I love variety. My wife has exposed me to many Chinese and Taiwanese foods. When we travel we always like to try traditional foods of the area.

I've always been one to try other foods, but there are limits. I've had shark fin soup, bird nest soup, 100 year egg, and many other dishes. One I wouldn't touch though was stinky tofu, I absolutely couldn't get past the smell. One time I was convinced to taste a small bite and discovered it tasted worst than it smelled. Sorry no more for me.

cp

Chickens feet I'm not really a fan of. They don't smell bad, but they just a bit rubbery and bony!

I love chicken feet myself. Before covid we would occasionally go out for dim sum. One of our staples was chicken feet. Almost always we would get bean curd skin rolls, turnip cake, steamed shrimps dumplings, short ribs and on occasion steamed pork buns.

I have so many favorite dishes that it would be hard to list them all. Sticky rice though would be high on the list.

Another favorite is:

My wife calls Zhong not sure how it's spelled

cp

oh we call it 'joong' I could never get the zh spelling.

I have been out several times to yum cha lately with family.

It's funny that certain foods will be quite smelly and offputting for some people, yet others won't think anything of it.

I don't really like the smell of pork or bacon, but for others they will be salivating when they smell it.
Curry and shellfish are also quite strong smelling, I don't mind the smell, yet others think it's too strong. In self-catering motels there are signs banning the cooking of curries and shellfish!

If I walk round the neighbourhood around dinner time I can sometimes smell a meaty fragrance thats I imagine is mince or something.

Roast lamb is another. KFC and freshly roasted coffee are also foods that you smell from far away.

Durian is probably the strongest smelling fruit I have come across.

Back