Dust off the shot guns!

Aug 9, 2007
Kansas
Dust off the shot guns!

I can't believe it's getting to this time of year alwready.

This..GREAT!..news, just in.

-- The estimated mallard population (the most popular duck species) is 8.5 million birds, a 10 percent increase from 2008 and 13 percent above the long-term average.

-- Gadwall numbers were estimated at 3.1 million which was similar to last year but still 73 percent above the long-term average.

-- Blue-winged teal experienced the second-highest ever total of 7.4 million birds. Green-winged teal set a record of 3.4 million birds. Both species were well above the long term average at 60 percent and 79 percent, respectively.

-- Pintails once again improved numbering 3.2 million birds representing a 23 percent increase from 2008. However, they're still at 20 percent below their long-term average figures.

-- One million redheads were estimated which was similar to last year and 62 percent above the long-term average.

-- Canvasback numbers were 35 percent higher than last year totaling 662,000 and were similar to historic figures.

-- Northern shovelers numbered 4.4 million representing a 25 percent increase from last year and were a whopping 92 percent higher than the long-term average.

-- Lesser and Greater scaup were at 4.2 million which was a 12 percent increase from 2008 but down about 18 percent from the long-term average.

-- Population estimates for American black ducks, ring-necked ducks, American wigeon, bufflehead, goldeneyes and mergansers surveyed were similar to last year's figures as well as their long-term averages.
Duck hunters in the Low Plains Zone will get 74 days. This zone is divided into early and late.
The early youth-only season will be Oct. 3-4 while the regular season will run Oct 10-Dec. 6 and Dec. 19-Jan. 3.

The late youth-only season will be Oct. 24-25 with the regular season from Oct. 31-Jan. 3, and Jan. 23-31.

The High Plains Zone (west of U.S. Highway 283) will get 97 days of duck hunting. Their youth-only season will be Oct. 3-4 and the regular season will be Oct. 10-Jan. 5, and Jan. 23-31, 2010.

The daily bag limit on ducks will remain at five. However, no more than two redheads, two scaup or three wood ducks will be allowed within that limit.
The Canada goose season will be Oct. 31-Nov. 8 and Nov. 11-Feb. 14, with a daily bag limit of three birds.

The white-fronted goose season will be Oct. 31-Nov. 8, Nov. 11-Jan. 3, and Feb. 6-14, 2010.

The daily bag limit on white fronts is two birds. The light goose season is Oct. 31-Nov. 8 and Nov. 11-Feb. 14, with a daily bag limit of 20 birds.

The Light Goose Conservation Order season will be Feb. 15-April 30, 2010, with no bag or possession limits.
Here's a classic pic of my girls in our old house...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30301292&l=3495a03c65&id=1414791165

Dusty

Inactive
Jul 27, 2007
Awwwwwww all those poor widdle birdies :crying_anim::crying_anim::crying_anim:

Cute kids though .

Aug 9, 2007
Kansas
Nothing to fear...

I blanched it, (and one other that day)
Plucked it's little feathers...

As I recall, I baked it in a nice butter sauce with orange marmalade and made a nice, syrupy white wine sauce with long stemmed asparagus and wild rice.

Notice how much taller that 10 gauge is than my oldest girl! :cool:

To this day, she can out shoot me with open sights.

(Not with a pistol though. I can still out shoot her at close range.) :D

Mar 24, 2009
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Nothing to fear...

I blanched it, (and one other that day)
Plucked it's little feathers...

As I recall, I baked it in a nice butter sauce with orange marmalade and made a nice, syrupy white wine sauce with long stemmed asparagus and wild rice.

Notice how much taller that 10 gauge is than my oldest girl! :cool:

To this day, she can out shoot me with open sights.

(Not with a pistol though. I can still out shoot her at close range.) :D
That picture brought flashbacks from my childhood. Daddy hunted and fished. We practically never bought meat when I was coming up.

If it's something you grow up with and you know that it's to put food on the table, it's not scary at all. It's food...and with Daddy cooking it, yummy food too!

Beautiful girls!

Blessings, Cheri

godbe4me

Secretary
Secretary
Mar 5, 2009
Maryland
You know as a teenager in the country, I use to be able to use a shot gun. But now the way they make them, if I attempted to use one, I believe the power of those would throw me back into a wall.:D:D:D

I remember my grandmother sent us out to snap the neck off a chicken as we was having fried chicken that night. I ran behind my uncle because one of the chickens was my pet. I wanted him to get the rooster; that was a mean one. Well, of course it was my pet chicken sitting on my plate fried:sad01_anim::sad01_anim:. I just could not eat it. :sick:My grandmother kept telling me that "you'll eat it before it eats you." I sat and sat there. Then in the morning, guess what I had for breakfast? Yep, my pet chicken sitting on my plate. I cried and cried:crying_anim::crying_anim:. Once my grandmother found out that it was my pet chicken and my uncle killed it boy did he get a country whippin. Although I love chicken, it took me a very long time to start eating it again. But I do not do whole chickens; just the parts. I know it's strange:confused:

Pastor Gary

Senior Moderator and Staff Trainer
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Staff Trainer
Oct 29, 2006
Several US locations - seasonally
Hey, Chris -

In the autumn of the year at our Chapel venue in northern Wisconsin, we can hear the flocks of migrating geese and ducks from 15 miles away.

With a 30 degree F. chill in the air and some gently falling snowflakes, the only sounds that we hear are the winds whispering in the tops of the 120 foot White Pines, the occasional chain saw 25 miles away, the chattering sounds of the Red and Gray Squirrels, the wing drumming of the Ruffed Grouse, the splashing and grunting of the Moose as they forage along the shore, the yearling Black Bears playing in the river and catching Trout, and the White Tail Deer coming down to the lake to drink.

We have seen flocks of migrating waterfowl land on the lake to overnight during bad weather and the approximate counts are in the thousands. With Wisconsin being famous for Cheddar, Colby and Swiss - that gives us an opportunity to truly enjoy 'cheese and quackers'...;)

Mar 24, 2009
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Hey, Chris -

In the autumn of the year at our Chapel venue in northern Wisconsin, we can hear the flocks of migrating geese and ducks from 15 miles away.

With a 30 degree F. chill in the air and some gently falling snowflakes, the only sounds that we hear are the winds whispering in the tops of the 120 foot White Pines, the occasional chain saw 25 miles away, the chattering sounds of the Red and Gray Squirrels, the wing drumming of the Ruffed Grouse, the splashing and grunting of the Moose as they forage along the shore, the yearling Black Bears playing in the river and catching Trout, and the White Tail Deer coming down to the lake to drink.

We have seen flocks of migrating waterfowl land on the lake to overnight during bad weather and the approximate counts are in the thousands. With Wisconsin being famous for Cheddar, Colby and Swiss - that gives us an opportunity to truly enjoy 'cheese and quackers'...;)
That was beautifully described Pastor Gary, have you considered writing a book? I think you have a gift there. "Cheese and quackers"... lol :D

Pastor Gary

Senior Moderator and Staff Trainer
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Staff Trainer
Oct 29, 2006
Several US locations - seasonally
Thanks for the kind words, Cheri - But I was just painting a mental picture of the area... God had the creative talent in making that area as beautiful as it is. God's Gift to us is all around us - all we have to do is to slow down in our busy, earthly lives, make time for Him and LOOK at His works...

Mar 24, 2009
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Thanks for the kind words, Cheri - But I was just painting a mental picture of the area... God had the creative talent in making that area as beautiful as it is. God's Gift to us is all around us - all we have to do is to slow down in our busy, earthly lives, make time for Him and LOOK at His works...
Yes Pastor Gary, I think we all need to be reminded to do that.

Blessings, Cheri

Sep 19, 2007
Gridley Ca.
!!!
Those poor birdies!!! :(:(:(

Fight back wee birdie friends!!!

Let the revolution begin! :D

But really I hope you all have fun and shoot straight. Bag the big one! and all that jazz. :)

(murderers)

Jan 24, 2007
Oregon
!!!
Those poor birdies!!! :(:(:(

Fight back wee birdie friends!!!

Let the revolution begin! :D

But really I hope you all have fun and shoot straight. Bag the big one! and all that jazz. :)

(murderers)
I just call it payback for what they did to my car. LOL