Exodus 16:29 - Fooling God

Exodus 16:29 (KJV)
See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.​

I saw this article (http://www.businessinsider.com/jewi...-manhattan-religious-carrying-sabbath-2015-10) and thought, what foolishness. Jesus pointed this out to them when He said:

Mark 2:27 (KJV)
And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:​

So I opened this thread not to pick on the Jews, they just did it first, but because all men (and women) do the same thing.

Romans 1:21-22 (KJV)
Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,​

1 Timothy 4:16 (KJV)
Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.​

So what activities are you doing under the guise of religion and not from a heart to please God?

Proverbs 21:2 (KJV)
Every way of a man [is] right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts.​

The Jews made a wire so they can say to their conscience "I'm in my place" and leave their homes. Why did they do this? Because it's not sustainable in daily lives 100% of the time. Rather than believe in God's mercies to understand a loving God. God knew this and so God gave them the law because they were arrogant to say they could keep it rather than saying in humility they'd rather stay under God's grace, and the first thing that happened, 3000 died. David killed a man and paid a price for it, but not the price as the law demands - death. So when you go to church, pray, read the bible, are you doing it out of a deep desire of the heart to honor, learn, be with Christ, to love Him? Or is it out of religious duty and dread? Are you fooling God?

(it's a rhetorical question - no answer required except to yourself like I did this morning.)

So when you go to church, pray, read the bible, are you doing it out of a deep desire of the heart to honor, learn, be with Christ, to love Him? Or is it out of religious duty and dread? Are you fooling God?

Sometimes the Lord is working in our lives in ways we cannot comprehend and we are in a king of spiritual insensitivity while this is done. As an analogy, when I was very ill, and needed surgery to be made well, the doctor had me put to sleep while he cut out the problem and repaired my plumbing. Upon my awakening, I still had to endure the pain of recovery, but I probably could not have survived the surgery without the sleep

Spiritually, I have gone through several periods of just going through the motions, or not ‘feeling’ it. I find that after these periods have past, that He has been ‘fertilizing’ in preparation for growth later. It is through remaining consistent through the dry periods that some aspects of faith are perfected.

Sometimes I find that meditating (a special kind of prayer) helps, other times it takes leaving the my thoughts behind and immersing myself in fellowship and/or service.

Recovery can still be painful, but the result can be greatly beneficial.

Sometimes the Lord is working in our lives in ways we cannot comprehend and we are in a king of spiritual insensitivity while this is done. As an analogy, when I was very ill, and needed surgery to be made well, the doctor had me put to sleep while he cut out the problem and repaired my plumbing. Upon my awakening, I still had to endure the pain of recovery, but I probably could not have survived the surgery without the sleep

Spiritually, I have gone through several periods of just going through the motions, or not ‘feeling’ it. I find that after these periods have past, that He has been ‘fertilizing’ in preparation for growth later. It is through remaining consistent through the dry periods that some aspects of faith are perfected.

Sometimes I find that meditating (a special kind of prayer) helps, other times it takes leaving the my thoughts behind and immersing myself in fellowship and/or service.

Recovery can still be painful, but the result can be greatly beneficial.
Thanks for the response. My goal wasn't to suggest that we're asleep, but actively doing things that are foolish because we don't want to believe they're foolish. Ask the rabbi in the video if he thinks what he's doing is foolish, he'll say no. But what would God say to what he's doing? There are 189 verses that contain the word fool and its variations, yet many Christians never consider their actions as foolish. The greatest concentration is found in Proverbs. Here's an example:

Proverbs 10:14 (KJV)
Wise [men] lay up knowledge: but the mouth of the foolish [is] near destruction.
A wise person takes in knowledge, but knowledge isn't the key, wisdom is - how to apply that knowledge. The foolish speak to their ruin. That is, they confess death instead of life. They speak to their destruction.

Proverbs 10:21 (KJV)
The lips of the righteous feed many: but fools die for want of wisdom.​

Proverbs 12:15 (KJV)
The way of a fool [is] right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel [is] wise.​

Here's an example: credit cards, Rom 13:8. The wise understand they are not to spend more than they earn, but the fool says "I'll pay tomorrow." What are the results? The wise are debt free, the fool lives paycheck to paycheck until they lose their health, and because they can't work, die in poverty.

Hi @Abdicate,

It's sad, isn't it?

Mat. 15:3
'Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God
by your tradition?'

Mat. 15:6
' ... Thus have ye made
the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.'

Mar.7:8
' ... For laying aside the commandment of God,
ye hold the tradition of men, ... '

Mar. 7:9
'And He said unto them,
"Full well ye reject the commandment of God,
that ye may keep your own tradition."'

Mar. 7:13
'Making the word of God of none effect
through your tradition, which ye have delivered:
and many such like things do ye.'

* There, but for the grace of God go you and I.

'Beware lest any man spoil you
through philosophy and vain deceit,
after the tradition of men,
after the rudiments of the world,
and not after Christ. '

(Col. 2:8)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hi @Abdicate,

It's sad, isn't it?

Mat. 15:3
'Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God
by your tradition?'

Mat. 15:6
' ... Thus have ye made
the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.'

Mar.7:8
' ... For laying aside the commandment of God,
ye hold the tradition of men, ... '

Mar. 7:9
'And He said unto them,
"Full well ye reject the commandment of God,
that ye may keep your own tradition."'

Mar. 7:13
'Making the word of God of none effect
through your tradition, which ye have delivered:
and many such like things do ye.'

* There, but for the grace of God go you and I.

'Beware lest any man spoil you
through philosophy and vain deceit,
after the tradition of men,
after the rudiments of the world,
and not after Christ. '

(Col. 2:8)

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Yep and in many ways we follow the ways of the Pharisees because we all do what's right in our own eyes, which leads to destruction.

Hello again, @Abdicate,

Yes, unfortunately, that is true. Which makes me think of the Scripture which speaks of vessels unto honour or dishonour. How much we need to present our bodies to God, as living sacrifices. Submitting ourselves unto Him, and in all our ways acknowledging Him, so that He can direct our paths.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Back