Experiences

Thsts right Job prayed for his friends even when they mocked him and gave him no comfort. And he had to give up his pride. God restored everything to Job after he did this.

I had a situation yesterday at a job appraisal, but to me it was more like a denouncal because my manager just nitpicked everything I did. He was trying to tell me I didnt know anything about gardening and didnt meet the standard the company wanted after 12 months I should know this blah blah, but thing is, he doesnt know anything about gardening himself as he doesnt actually do it. He only knows stuff about mowing lawns. So I cant take personally anything he says. And nobody can meet those arbitrary standards anyway. GOd already knows the effort I put on and He knows more about gardening than anyone on this green earth because He was the first gardener and the creator of all the plants we have. So He knows that nothing ever will be perfect until He pronounced it so. I am sure, in the midst of creating, satan was trying to nitpick the details.

Its like someone who comes in the middle of what you are doing and says you missed a spot. And they dont lift a finger to help either. Its very easy for someone to judge on appearances something they dont do themselves. A work in progress is a work in progress. Lord knows that is what it is with gardens. So I dont take notice of what he says because hes not there at the end of the day. And my manager is not God. God is.

So stuff like that, I dont get angry about, as peoples opinions are just that, peoples opinions. Forgive people for having silly opinions. I just agree and say ok. When you in a work environment, someone actually gets paid to nitpick and critique, as they have nothing better to do. I just informed him well if Im twelves months in the job snd ahould know this and that its your job to train me. Telling someone to do something is not the same as actually training them.

I had a situation yesterday at a job appraisal, but to me it was more like a denouncal because my manager just nitpicked everything I did. He was trying to tell me I didnt know anything about gardening and didnt meet the standard the company wanted after 12 months I should know this blah blah, but thing is, he doesnt know anything about gardening himself as he doesnt actually do it. He only knows stuff about mowing lawns. So I cant take personally anything he says. And nobody can meet those arbitrary standards anyway. GOd already knows the effort I put on and He knows more about gardening than anyone on this green earth because He was the first gardener and the creator of all the plants we have. So He knows that nothing ever will be perfect until He pronounced it so. I am sure, in the midst of creating, satan was trying to nitpick the details.

Hmmmm. I'm wondering if this is the manager who hired the guy who mowed over the plants?

My wife and I had been praying for her manager at her job over an incident (everyone is overloaded with work.) Then they recently had a meeting. The manager apologized to my wife for not keeping her in the loop with the overload but still had to get the managerial upper hand on her. Politics and long story made it hard to forgive the manager but my wife did.

In America a large percentage of managers are not as effective in these times because they are overworked and understaffed, mostly because of the company's bottom line. Because of this managers are trying to protect and stay on top of their jobs, so taking the time to train their employees suffers. Then the managers are leaned on by their upper managers for lack of productivity so the manager has to scold the employee. Its not a good work practice for the manager to confess this to their employees. A difficult area that needs much prayer.

I know there are employees with poor work habits but I'm speaking about the employees who are good, conscientious workers.

God bless you all and your families.

Lol no that was a different situation but it wouldnt be far off. He really didnt know anything about gardening and he told me so at my interview because he had only been a manager for 3 months when I started.

As for being understaffed, yes, although now the situation seems to have eased a bit, but we are never given enough time its always rush rush rush. A rush job is not a good job.

Anyway a poor work habit compounds over time but if clear instructions arent given in the first instance than how are workers meant to know. We are not robots and we dont have six arms. When we get told we need to be accountable and responsible, yes thats a good thing, but for workers its a catch 22 because we arent paid or in the role of being accountable and responsible, its the team leaders who have that, and if they are withholding from us information and just telling us what to do then how can we be accountable, we are just doing what is asked. We get in trouble if we dont do what we are told.

I do agree with most organisations and companies it comes down to the bottom line. Something that really needs prayer, as my workmates are feeling like they are not valued and often talk about leaving. I dont want to leave, but some are coming close to it because theyve been treated poorly by management.

On topic of pride, in these job sppraisals we get asked what achievements we are proud of. So silly becsuse it means we are asked to boast about what we've done instead of just having other people commend us.

I really felt uncomfortable rating myself.

Hmmmm. I'm wondering if this is the manager who hired the guy who mowed over the plants?

My wife and I had been praying for her manager at her job over an incident (everyone is overloaded with work.) Then they recently had a meeting. The manager apologized to my wife for not keeping her in the loop with the overload but still had to get the managerial upper hand on her. Politics and long story made it hard to forgive the manager but my wife did.

In America a large percentage of managers are not as effective in these times because they are overworked and understaffed, mostly because of the company's bottom line. Because of this managers are trying to protect and stay on top of their jobs, so taking the time to train their employees suffers. Then the managers are leaned on by their upper managers for lack of productivity so the manager has to scold the employee. Its not a good work practice for the manager to confess this to their employees. A difficult area that needs much prayer.

I know there are employees with poor work habits but I'm speaking about the employees who are good, conscientious workers.

God bless you all and your families.

You do not realize how correct you are my friend. Having spent 30 years in retail sales management, I can tell you that there was a day when managers had enough people to train. Today, machines and methods have replaced people.

I have been able to live in the transition from people to machines to the internet. Today mangers must make sure that the machines work instead of teaching real people about customer service or poor work habits because "there are not any people to be trained".

You do not realize how correct you are my friend. Having spent 30 years in retail sales management, I can tell you that there was a day when managers had enough people to train. Today, machines and methods have replaced people. I have been able to live in the transition from people to machines to the internet. Today mangers must make sure that the machines work instead of teaching real people about customer service or poor work habits because "there are not any people to be trained".

Hello, Major;

Thank you. With your experience in retail sales management, did you feel it was part of ministry? I had a forgiving experience when I worked two jobs. One of them was Kmart.

A very nice customer came in and bought a patio furniture set but it was only partial on the floor. She still insisted she wanted it and would take a rain check until the back order of remaining pieces came in. I tagged her name and she walked away happy knowing her full patio furniture would be ready in two weeks.

Well, another customer came in wanting to buy a different patio set but didn't come with patio pillows (Kmart carried different sets). The family wanted pillows and we would charge them accordingly. So I swapped the first customer's pillows knowing her purchase would be ready in a couple of weeks.

Two weeks passed and the first customer came in and gave me her rain check. I was busted. I nervously told her the rest of the furniture had not come in yet, and had to order more pillows because I sold them. She was so upset with me and began to scold me in the store, in front of a large crowd of about 40 shoppers surrounding us along with my Kmart associates and store managers.

She continued to scold me while I stood there so humiliated. I didn't say a word. Then she calmly told me in front of everyone, "young whipper snapper, I forgive you but I want you to make this right. I expect you to call me as soon as my patio furniture comes in including my pillows."

I was still humiliated and said in a low voice, yes maam. Later my store manager and I talked in his office. He knew what I did and he wanted me to handle my mistake. But then he got me to smile by saying, "welcome to retail."

This time the tables were turned and it humbled me to be forgiven by a customer. I felt this was part of ministry, that God was with me to guard my tongue while owning up to my mistake.

God bless you, Pastor, and your family.

Hello, Major;

Thank you. With your experience in retail sales management, did you feel it was part of ministry? I had a forgiving experience when I worked two jobs. One of them was Kmart.

A very nice customer came in and bought a patio furniture set but it was only partial on the floor. She still insisted she wanted it and would take a rain check until the back order of remaining pieces came in. I tagged her name and she walked away happy knowing her full patio furniture would be ready in two weeks.

Well, another customer came in wanting to buy a different patio set but didn't come with patio pillows (Kmart carried different sets). The family wanted pillows and we would charge them accordingly. So I swapped the first customer's pillows knowing her purchase would be ready in a couple of weeks.

Two weeks passed and the first customer came in and gave me her rain check. I was busted. I nervously told her the rest of the furniture had not come in yet, and had to order more pillows because I sold them. She was so upset with me and began to scold me in the store, in front of a large crowd of about 40 shoppers surrounding us along with my Kmart associates and store managers.

She continued to scold me while I stood there so humiliated. I didn't say a word. Then she calmly told me in front of everyone, "young whipper snapper, I forgive you but I want you to make this right. I expect you to call me as soon as my patio furniture comes in including my pillows."

I was still humiliated and said in a low voice, yes maam. Later my store manager and I talked in his office. He knew what I did and he wanted me to handle my mistake. But then he got me to smile by saying, "welcome to retail."

This time the tables were turned and it humbled me to be forgiven by a customer. I felt this was part of ministry, that God was with me to guard my tongue while owning up to my mistake.

God bless you, Pastor, and your family.

Thank you for the question. As a matter of fact, I worked for the Eckerd Drug Co, which is now CVS. I was a deacon at the time and almost every day two or three people would come in and talk Scriptures for awhile or prayer needs. I had to at one point discourage them as I was working for a company and it did not look right to be teaching or praying on their time.

I totally understand your predicament. It happens all the time. Before I retired, I was the person in central Fl. who trained store managers on customer service. I told them that no matter what it was, the old fashioned motto of ,,,,,,"The customer is always right" never fails.

When a mistake is made either by omission or commission...#1. Apologize-------#2. Ask the customer to forgive you.--------#3. Make it right.

Then when you have taken care of the situation, give the customer a FREE gallon of milk and a package of Oreo cookies along with your business card.
On the back of my cards I had my church address and times of service printed so I was able to satisfy the Eckerd situation and do outreach at the same time.

You can not imagine what good is done by giving away a little milk and cookies and how many friends and customers you will make and I do not know how many people that act encouraged to attend the church I was at.

On topic of pride, in these job sppraisals we get asked what achievements we are proud of. So silly becsuse it means we are asked to boast about what we've done instead of just having other people commend us.

I really felt uncomfortable rating myself.

But......the person doing your appraisal probably does not know all of the things you did. By telling them, you are not boasting but instead informing them which then they can use to help you in the future.

Confidence in yourself is not boasting but IMO is a gift.

Thsts right Job prayed for his friends even when they mocked him and gave him no comfort. And he had to give up his pride. God restored everything to Job after he did this.

Its like someone who comes in the middle of what you are doing and says you missed a spot. And they dont lift a finger to help either. Its very easy for someone to judge on appearances something they dont do themselves. A work in progress is a work in progress. Lord knows that is what it is with gardens. So I dont take notice of what he says because hes not there at the end of the day. And my manager is not God. God is.

So stuff like that, I dont get angry about, as peoples opinions are just that, peoples opinions. Forgive people for having silly opinions. I just agree and say ok. When you in a work environment, someone actually gets paid to nitpick and critique, as they have nothing better to do. I just informed him well if Im twelves months in the job snd ahould know this and that its your job to train me. Telling someone to do something is not the same as actually training them.

There are actually two kinds of managers.

1. They talk to you. They tell you what they expect and then show you how to get the results that they want from you with the bottom line always being "profit" by keeping you with them. Without "profit" neither you or them will have a job very long.

2. They expect you to step up and catch on to the job and do it to their satisfaction hoping and depending all the time on luck to take over and when it doesn't, they will blame their employees to cover their inability to teach, and manage. Ultimately they will turn over their employees all the while hoping that the next person will be better. "luck".

You have two choices if you are involved in #2.

1. If you really love the job, then do the study. Find out what it is that needs to be done to make a profit and then go and tell your manger how you have increased sales or productivity. Instead of depending on luck to determine the outcome, you are the one making a difference.
Now the negative of this is that your manager may take the credit for your ideas. But if you love the job and are well paid, you should not really care, but if that is a problem then there is your 2nd choice………...

2. Leave and find another job that will make you happy. Life is too short and hard to live to stay in a position that causes frustration and anger and lowers self esteem.

There are actually two kinds of managers.

1. They talk to you. They tell you what they expect and then show you how to get the results that they want from you with the bottom line always being "profit" by keeping you with them. Without "profit" neither you or them will have a job very long.

2. They expect you to step up and catch on to the job and do it to their satisfaction hoping and depending all the time on luck to take over and when it doesn't, they will blame their employees to cover their inability to teach, and manage. Ultimately they will turn over their employees all the while hoping that the next person will be better. "luck".

You have two choices if you are involved in #2.

1. If you really love the job, then do the study. Find out what it is that needs to be done to make a profit and then go and tell your manger how you have increased sales or productivity. Instead of depending on luck to determine the outcome, you are the one making a difference.
Now the negative of this is that your manager may take the credit for your ideas. But if you love the job and are well paid, you should not really care, but if that is a problem then there is your 2nd choice………...

2. Leave and find another job that will make you happy. Life is too short and hard to live to stay in a position that causes frustration and anger and lowers self esteem.
1. I love the job, but, its actually not that well paid. Currently its only slightly above the living wage. Now a new fuel tax has been announced but only for us living in the city, and the govt plans to lift the minimum wage to above what I am earning right now. Even though apparently the company is a million dollar business, it, like most every other organsiation, only pays its workers the bare minimum it can get away with.
2. Its hard to find another job in this economy and wondering if all workplaces are the same. Even staying at home to work from home isnt an option because that just frustrates mum, causes her to be angry and lowers my self esteem.

I really dont have much choice in this life on earth. Basically, if you want to make a profit, I am thinking of telling my managers that the next step from gardening retirement villages is cemeteries. Since the churches have abdicated their responsibilities there of looking after the graveyard of those who are resting in peace, and families are no longer looking after them, its been basically contracted out. The council let go of all its grounds staff a few years ago, nurseries are closing, basically the only people that can afford to do it are now coming from overseas.

What this basically means and boils down to is if you want a decent job that can cover the cost of living, you pretty much have to leave the country, or just live in your car.
I dont know what luck has to do with anything, but, so far its fine as long as the cost of living does not skyrocket and our generation is priced out of our own land. Its happened before in my town which is why most people sold up and left, and now live in tiny leaky apartments that are also huge fire hazards waiting to happen.

1. I love the job, but, its actually not that well paid. Currently its only slightly above the living wage. Now a new fuel tax has been announced but only for us living in the city, and the govt plans to lift the minimum wage to above what I am earning right now. Even though apparently the company is a million dollar business, it, like most every other organsiation, only pays its workers the bare minimum it can get away with.
2. Its hard to find another job in this economy and wondering if all workplaces are the same. Even staying at home to work from home isnt an option because that just frustrates mum, causes her to be angry and lowers my self esteem.

I really dont have much choice in this life on earth. Basically, if you want to make a profit, I am thinking of telling my managers that the next step from gardening retirement villages is cemeteries. Since the churches have abdicated their responsibilities there of looking after the graveyard of those who are resting in peace, and families are no longer looking after them, its been basically contracted out. The council let go of all its grounds staff a few years ago, nurseries are closing, basically the only people that can afford to do it are now coming from overseas.

What this basically means and boils down to is if you want a decent job that can cover the cost of living, you pretty much have to leave the country, or just live in your car.
I dont know what luck has to do with anything, but, so far its fine as long as the cost of living does not skyrocket and our generation is priced out of our own land. Its happened before in my town which is why most people sold up and left, and now live in tiny leaky apartments that are also huge fire hazards waiting to happen.

Situations create opportunities. Have you thought about making a proposal to the places where the graveyards are located to do the mowing and cleaning of the graveyard????

Also, have you considered taking some online college courses that would increase your education and allow you to find a better job????

I dont want to mow a graveyard. Just get sheep to eat the grass, no way Im mowing it.
I have done online courses before and am now hopelessly over educated. Still doesnt land you a decent job because there will always be some controlling perfectionist above you who thinks they are better than you and will put you down thinking they are doing you a favour.

Its not the situation and its not the opportunities. If you want to spend all your life climbing the corporate ladder, fine, but its not for everyone. Most people dont appreciate being treated like dirt by their bosses, me included.

JEsus did not tell his followers that they had to strive to get the top fishing job and report to them how many souls they saved in x amount of time to reach a target. Yes they had to be effective in their ministry, but he didnt run them down at the same time.

Its about treating people with kindness, thats all. Have a little respect.

I dont want to mow a graveyard. Just get sheep to eat the grass, no way Im mowing it.
I have done online courses before and am now hopelessly over educated. Still doesnt land you a decent job because there will always be some controlling perfectionist above you who thinks they are better than you and will put you down thinking they are doing you a favour.

It was only a suggestion that you might want to try and start your own business so that you would not be responsible to other peoples whims and evaluations.

Thanks for the suggestion but lets be realistic.

Starting you own business is easier said than done.
For a business to work its best if you have a business partner, otherwise you can run yourself ragged starting up on your own, plus you have to have capital and if you dont have that in the first place you need to have a loan, then sort out taxes, insurance, liability etc etc. Some people are natural entrepneurs but its not for everyone either. Plus many companies have a clause in their contract that means you cannot just leave, start your own business and poach their clients. Plus if you do start your own business, you still have to deal with the whims and evaulations of somebody, even if its just the bank manager. You might then start to become like them and only care about the bottom line and profits. Love of money is the root of all evil, right?

The point im trying to make is we dont overcome evil with evil but overcome evil with good. This goes for employers as well as employees. Being treated with kindness and given encouragement goes a long way. Being abused snd bullied or harassed in the workplace does not.

Its like telling Ruth who was destitute, to start her own business so she wont be harassed gleaning the fields. Just a suggestion. She could just think about starting her own business right? I mean, Boaz didnt have be kind to her, he could have just treated her as a cheap labourer like everyone else.

Back