Faith and faithing....

Faith and faithing, most of us have never heard the word faithing before.

In the original Greek texts we have the word "Pistis" , where we get our English word"Faith". Pistis is used 245 times in the NT.

Pistis, has a corresponding verb, "pisteuo." Pisteuo is used 248 times in the NT.

The problem occures when the translators need a corresponding verb to our English word Faith like the Greek does for Pistis. The English language doesn't have a corresponding verb to the noun Faith like the Greek does.

So, the translators forced to choose a word to translate pisteuo didn't have the words they needed to correctly communicate pisteuo. Those words that should have been available to the translators are the words faithe, faither, and faithing.

Nor because those words are not in the English language, and the English language doesn't have a corresponding verb to the noun Faith like the Greek does, they had to choose words that would come close. They chose the words believe, believer, and believing.

The problem with choosing those words are that pisteuo, or NT saving Faith is an act, "based upon a belief," sustained by confidence. Believing is a part of NT saving Faith, but taken on it's own is error.

The Vines Greek dictionary gives us the definition, " pisteuo is a personal surrender to Him and a life inspired by such surrender."

The Strong's gives the disclaimer," pisteuo means NOT just to believe."

The words believe, believer, and believing, are not corresponding verbs to the noun Faith like in the Greek, they are corresponding verbs to the noun"belief" which is different than what the Greek texts are communicating to us.

Lots more about this, any questions?

Interesting I think being faithful means being loyal.
Having faith also means to trust someone.

The english equivalent might be to follow, be a follower or have a following. From where we get fellowship.

Often 'belief' will just mean 'mental assent' in English. But as we know to have faith means a bit more than just believing. There is also the gift of Faith. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Another illustration of faith I have heard of is its like Potatoes. You cant see them as thy are in the ground but you know they are in there, multiplying, cos you can see the leaves. Harvest time is when you are vinidicated for your faith.

The english equivalent might be to follow, be a follower or have a following. From where we get fellowship.

Often 'belief' will just mean 'mental assent' in English. But as we know to have faith means a bit more than just believing. There is also the gift of Faith. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Another illustration of faith I have heard of is its like Potatoes. You cant see them as thy are in the ground but you know they are in there, multiplying, cos you can see the leaves. Harvest time is when you are vinidicated for your faith.

Thanks for the reply. I have alot to discuss about this topic, and would love to get this message to New Zealanders.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be down for a day or two. We got a nasty bug going around, I think its Norovirus. It hit me last night, I feel like I've been runover by all 36 cars at a Nascar race and twice by the pace car.

So give me a day or two and we'll have a good discussion.

Thanks for the reply. I have alot to discuss about this topic, and would love to get this message to New Zealanders.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be down for a day or two. We got a nasty bug going around, I think its Norovirus. It hit me last night, I feel like I've been runover by all 36 cars at a Nascar race and twice by the pace car.

So give me a day or two and we'll have a good discussion.

FYI...…..40 cars start a NASCAR race.;)

In the original Greek texts we have the word "Pistis" , where we get our English word"Faith". Pistis is used 245 times in the NT.

Pistis, has a corresponding verb, "pisteuo." Pisteuo is used 248 times in the NT.

The problem occures when the translators need a corresponding verb to our English word Faith like the Greek does for Pistis. The English language doesn't have a corresponding verb to the noun Faith like the Greek does.

So, the translators forced to choose a word to translate pisteuo didn't have the words they needed to correctly communicate pisteuo. Those words that should have been available to the translators are the words faithe, faither, and faithing.

Nor because those words are not in the English language, and the English language doesn't have a corresponding verb to the noun Faith like the Greek does, they had to choose words that would come close. They chose the words believe, believer, and believing.

The problem with choosing those words are that pisteuo, or NT saving Faith is an act, "based upon a belief," sustained by confidence. Believing is a part of NT saving Faith, but taken on it's own is error.

The Vines Greek dictionary gives us the definition, " pisteuo is a personal surrender to Him and a life inspired by such surrender."

The words believe, believer, and believing, are not corresponding verbs to the noun Faith like in the Greek, they are corresponding verbs to the noun"belief" which is different than what the Greek texts are communicating to us.

It seems to me that they all mean the same thing...."an act of Faith".

FYI...…..40 cars start a NASCAR race.;)

There was 36 up until 1996. That was about the time I took my young family to a pocano race. I waited 4 hours to get into the race only to find it was nothing but a drunk fest. I lost interest after that.

There was 36 up until 1996. That was about the time I took my young family to a pocano race. I waited 4 hours to get into the race only to find it was nothing but a drunk fest. I lost interest after that.

It has nothing to do with the thread but.....
I think that if you look at it you will see that the Truck series allows 36 trucks and the Xfinity series has 38 and the Monster Series has 40.

There are 36 "Charter" owners and then 4 places left for at large which started I think in 2016 but I am not sure of that date.

The Nascar Monster series had 42 until 1989 based on pit accommodations on pit row at the tracks.

Originally, NASCAR used to have up to 60 cars trying to make the field and if you could get in then you could make money.

Then 1989, the King Richard Petty, failed to qualify for a Race, So 3 time Champion Darrell Waltrip, told a national audience that it was a shame someone with the Kings status should miss a race. So Darrell proposed a "Past Champions" provisional that would allow any previous champion to be placed in the 43rd starting spot. Well in 1998, It was then that, NASCAR decided to make the 43rd spot perminate. So if a past champions provisional was not used then the 43rd spot would be fielded by the next highest qualifier.

I used to part owner of a car back in the middle 80's and I live about 20 miles from the Daytona track. We have not missed a race there since 1966 and yes you are correct.....lots and lots of beer drinkers but you know what, in all the years we have attended there, we have never seen a fight or a confrontation of any kind between people.

Faithful, is another completely different Greek word.

Trust, like believing, is "a part" of what pisteuo is, but taken on its own is error.

Because the English language couldn't communicate pisteuo into its vocabulary, we have lost or were never given the correct understanding of what the application of Faith really means.

True pisteuo or verb form of Faith is an act, based upon a Belief, sustained by confidence. We fulfill hundreds of specific acts of pisteuo each and every day. Each with specific acts, based upon specific beliefs, sustained by a specific kind of confidence.

NT pisteuo in relationship with the living God is a specific act ( a Continually surrendered life), based upon a specific belief ( that God will accept the surrendered life), sustained by a specific kind of confidence ( making all of the many daily decisions that support the fact that our lives are not ours anymore, but God's now), this is how Saving Faith begins, is maintained, tested, perfected, and completed here on Earth.

Faithful, is another completely different Greek word.

Trust, like believing, is "a part" of what pisteuo is, but taken on its own is error.

Because the English language couldn't communicate pisteuo into its vocabulary, we have lost or were never given the correct understanding of what the application of Faith really means.

True pisteuo or verb form of Faith is an act, based upon a Belief, sustained by confidence. We fulfill hundreds of specific acts of pisteuo each and every day. Each with specific acts, based upon specific beliefs, sustained by a specific kind of confidence.

NT pisteuo in relationship with the living God is a specific act ( a Continually surrendered life), based upon a specific belief ( that God will accept the surrendered life), sustained by a specific kind of confidence ( making all of the many daily decisions that support the fact that our lives are not ours anymore, but God's now), this is how Saving Faith begins, is maintained, tested, perfected, and completed here on Earth.

To be faithful is to be reliable, steadfast and unwavering, and the Bible speaks of this type of faithfulness in four ways:
1. as an attribute of God;
2. as a positive characteristic of some men;
3. as a characteristic that many men lack;
4. and as a gift of the Holy Spirit.

Faithful as used in the Bible is also used in the sense of “believing,” as in the case of the Christians in Ephesus and Colossae.

It has nothing to do with the thread but.....
I think that if you look at it you will see that the Truck series allows 36 trucks and the Xfinity series has 38 and the Monster Series has 40.

There are 36 "Charter" owners and then 4 places left for at large which started I think in 2016 but I am not sure of that date.

The Nascar Monster series had 42 until 1989 based on pit accommodations on pit row at the tracks.

Originally, NASCAR used to have up to 60 cars trying to make the field and if you could get in then you could make money.

Then 1989, the King Richard Petty, failed to qualify for a Race, So 3 time Champion Darrell Waltrip, told a national audience that it was a shame someone with the Kings status should miss a race. So Darrell proposed a "Past Champions" provisional that would allow any previous champion to be placed in the 43rd starting spot. Well in 1998, It was then that, NASCAR decided to make the 43rd spot perminate. So if a past champions provisional was not used then the 43rd spot would be fielded by the next highest qualifier.

I used to part owner of a car back in the middle 80's and I live about 20 miles from the Daytona track. We have not missed a race there since 1966 and yes you are correct.....lots and lots of beer drinkers but you know what, in all the years we have attended there, we have never seen a fight or a confrontation of any kind between people.

I get it, my family and I never missed a race on TV. But when we went to the pocano race, that 4 hour wait to get into the gate I mentioned, what I didn't say was the people getting out of their trucks to urinate on the side of the road in front of my wife and kids.
When we finally got in, there was keg stand every 50 feet with only a couple of bathrooms. I'll never forget my wife and little girl waiting in the line for bathroom behind 80 other women, with beer dripping all over them from the bleachers above them.

Anyway, I'm feeling better and ready to discuss this topic. This has been my passion for the last 33 years.

To be faithful is to be reliable, steadfast and unwavering, and the Bible speaks of this type of faithfulness in four ways:
1. as an attribute of God;
2. as a positive characteristic of some men;
3. as a characteristic that many men lack;
4. and as a gift of the Holy Spirit.

Faithful as used in the Bible is also used in the sense of “believing,” as in the case of the Christians in Ephesus and Colossae.

"Faithful" comes from the Greek word " pistos ".
I realize that pistos can have one or more of the three characteristics of pisteuo, but communicates something different.

I'll repost the to get the thread back on track.

Bump

I get it, my family and I never missed a race on TV. But when we went to the pocano race, that 4 hour wait to get into the gate I mentioned, what I didn't say was the people getting out of their trucks to urinate on the side of the road in front of my wife and kids.
When we finally got in, there was keg stand every 50 feet with only a couple of bathrooms. I'll never forget my wife and little girl waiting in the line for bathroom behind 80 other women, with beer dripping all over them from the bleachers above them.

Anyway, I'm feeling better and ready to discuss this topic. This has been my passion for the last 33 years.

I am glad to hear that you are feeling better.

I am sorry to here also of your bad experience. I can tell you that all the race tracks have updated there facilities that I have been to and now there are 1st class places.

TV coverage over the last 25 years has drastically reduced attendance. Less people = less lines and less waiting.

Another word is trust.
I wouldnt get caught up in greek words unless you ARE greek and are fluent in the language.
Also half the Bible was originally written in Hebrew, so, if you were serious about exploring the origins of the word faith, start with the Hebrew.

Another word is trust.
I wouldnt get caught up in greek words unless you ARE greek and are fluent in the language.
Also half the Bible was originally written in Hebrew, so, if you were serious about exploring the origins of the word faith, start with the Hebrew.

Okay thanks.

"Faithful" comes from the Greek word " pistos ".
I realize that pistos can have one or more of the three characteristics of pisteuo, but communicates something different.

I'll repost the to get the thread back on track.

Would you say that the word "LOVE" would fall into that same understanding as the Greek has 3 levels of Love?

I would simply wish to remind my brothers and sisters in Christ to use classical Greek words in context, as they might have a very different meaning when not used correctly. I have witnessed this in services often. The duplicity between the modern and the ancient can also add quite a bit of humor in a subject which should be taken seriously.

Might we all remember to use a language we know and are comfortable with.

Back