Faith Vs. Hope

I am confused about faith and hope, and I'm 'hoping' someone can help me out.

I put my faith in God. When I pray and ask for something, I no longer worry about it. I have faith that God will handle the situation, even if the outcome differs from what I imagined. The bible mentions 'hope' quite often. Paul says it several times in Romans. 1 Corinthians 13:13 says we have faith, hope, and love. It just seems to me that hope is what you have when there is a lack of faith. For example, my first sentence. I do not have faith that my question will be answered here, so I hope it does.

My thought process here is obviously wrong. The bible says over and over we have hope, and I believe the written word. I just don't understand it and looking for some feedback.

I'll be travelling today and may be away from my computer for a while, so I'm sorry if I do not reply in a timely fashion.

TB

I put my faith in God. When I pray and ask for something, I no longer worry about it. I have faith that God will handle the situation, even if the outcome differs from what I imagined. The bible mentions 'hope' quite often. Paul says it several times in Romans. 1 Corinthians 13:13 says we have faith, hope, and love. It just seems to me that hope is what you have when there is a lack of faith. For example, my first sentence. I do not have faith that my question will be answered here, so I hope it does.

My thought process here is obviously wrong. The bible says over and over we have hope, and I believe the written word. I just don't understand it and looking for some feedback.

I'll be travelling today and may be away from my computer for a while, so I'm sorry if I do not reply in a timely fashion.

TB

The word hope used by Paul in 1Co 13:13 is elpis. Which means the expectation of good.

Or the modern version a positive attitude.

So he is saying that we have trust in God, a good attitude and Love, which is charity.

But greatest is Love.

It is a favourite at weddings.

TB
Great question.. I need some more time to think through and look at all Bible verses pertaining to this.. But this verse struck me.. Probably it explains everything as well..

Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Hear clearly faith and ope are different! Faith is the assurance of things hoped for.. Because of what Christ did on cross, I can hope that I would reach heaven one day.. It is faith that gives me the assurance I will certainly reach heaven.. I think we can draw many parallels with this explanation.. I hope this helps as well..

We cannot enter in to that hope we have in Christ without faith.

1 Peter 1:3-5

A Heavenly Inheritance
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

TB
I like Pauls' definition of faith in Heb11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

We have valid hope because we have faith of substance. Christian faith is an absolute trust in an unseen God / Creator of all.

Hope in an enduring meaning and purpose in life or afterlife is a commonality in the human condition. Hope provides direction and motivation for movement. It is also, however, a weak point for the enemy to attack.
"Hope deferred makes the heart sick" (from Proverbs 13:12) Lost or deferred hope leads to pain and self-centered despair.

As mentioned already from Hebrews, faith is the evidence that makes us sure of our hope. I hope my brother will be honest, but I also have faith he will be honest based on my experience with him. We have been offered hope of heaven. The covenants of God, the sacrifice of Christ, and the experience of the Holy Spirit in my life are some of the things that give me faith that my hope of heaven is not a shallow one. We know from Eph 6 that faith is a shield. With it Satan's attempts to seed despair in my life when my divine hopes feel distant are stymied.

Faith reassures us and protects from discouragement, Hope provides direction and motivation, Love (John 15:10-11) produces the joy that fuels life and movement along the way.

Back