Fantasy and Faith

(I'm still new to this forum so i apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section)

I'm a bit of a nerd/geek. I love Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter and Star Wars and so on. I know there's a bit of a disagreement on things like LotR and Harry Potter and it is something i prayed about awhile ago for a time but i do not feel a conviction when watching or reading these things. I know that Christ warns us about sorcery and the occult not to practice it but i understand that these films are fictional and to me i feel no guilt in watching them.

Now i have been working on a fantasy story for a long time and eventually wish for it to be published. I do however feel in this context that i should put some sort of foreword in the beginning of the book stating that as a believer in Christ i want to emphasize that i am not trying to promote the occult or entice readers into practicing it. I would also add that this book is merely fictional and is in no way supposed to be taken as anything other than entertainment.

My fantasy story does involve magic and the such but it is also not used as an allegory or metaphor like the lion the witch and the wardrobe was by Mr. Lewis.

What are your thoughts on this? Like i said i don't feel any moral conviction about it but i want to put that word of warning at the beginning.

I'm a pretty big fan of lotr and star wars myself, so my answer will be biased.

So long as you do not put it in front of God, or make your fantasy a mockery of God, I believe there is no reason for you not to write it. Remember 1st Corinthians 10:31, do it for the glory of God.

On a side note, Tolkien was a roman catholic. Not that it means if he is saved or not, however, many of his personal writings make a pretty good case that he was a saved man.

And see that's the thing my stories are very influenced by tolkien. The world and mythos i created is in a completely different world than our own. And i know i am saved i just think of the verse where it talks about brothers of weaker faith. That's why i want to put that note in the beginning saying i am not condoning the real practice with the occult, that this book is for entertainment only.

A warning in the forward of your book would not be needed. I'm assuming that it would be obvious by the title and content that it is a work of fiction?
The type of person who reads fantasy fiction and then confuses it with reality has issues that won't be resolved with any kind of disclaimer.
I've known people involved in the occult and without exception, each was involved due to the lust for power, not for wanting to live out their favorite fantasy world.
I'm a huge Tolkien fan myself, have been for decades. Best of luck with your book.

You dabble with fire you will eventually get burned. You say you know God tells us to stay away from things but then you say you have no conviction about it. That right there should speak loudly to you.

A little yeast levens the batch of dough - dont be fooled- If God says stay away from such stuff - then stay away and dont try to find things that say it is ok.
God Bless
Jim

In these end times, it is my opinion that we ought to be straight with people, and works of fiction that deal in the occult or magic are a distraction and a waste of time for people to read...and write, for that matter. There is nothing godly in a mixture! Mixtures are nothing more than compromise, and that is something we as Christians need to step far away from---mainly because they love God and should have a conviction about it. If there is no conviction, then I would have to ask---why?

In these end times, it is my opinion that we ought to be straight with people, and works of fiction that deal in the occult or magic are a distraction and a waste of time for people to read...and write, for that matter. There is nothing godly in a mixture! Mixtures are nothing more than compromise, and that is something we as Christians need to step far away from---mainly because they love God and should have a conviction about it. If there is no conviction, then I would have to ask---why?

so C.S lewis should not have written the narnia series based on the fact that it has magic?

Yes, but one who struggled with intellectualism, an enemy of faith for many.

True, but where many stumble, he did a commendable job at being a humble man despite his intellectual nature. He used his intellectualism to glorify God to a crowd that would have otherwise scoffed.

True, but where many stumble, he did a commendable job at being a humble man despite his intellectual nature. He used his intellectualism to glorify God to a crowd that would have otherwise scoffed.

He did have some gaping holes in his theology.

He did have some gaping holes in his theology.

As does anybody depending on what side of the fence you're on. Lutherans say that Baptists have gaping holes in their theology, Methodists say that assemblies of God churches have gaping holes in their theology, and vise versa. But on the Gospel, we all agree that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior and it is our Christian duty to spread the Gospel

Now, I agree with Lewis more often than not, his writings show evidence that he was a very grounded man who studied the word of God. Whether or not you agree with everything he says, he did spread the gospel with the means he was gifted with i.e writing. He conveyed the gospel through the narnia series as Jesus conveyed the Gospel in a parable.
Can some people take the narnia series and turn them into something they are not? Yes, as with any other fantasy.
Can some people take the bible and turn it into something it is not? Yes, look at Mormonism and Jehovah's witness, they both use the same bible as us, and are not preaching the same gospel that is the true gospel.

As does anybody depending on what side of the fence you're on. Lutherans say that Baptists have gaping holes in their theology, Methodists say that assemblies of God churches have gaping holes in their theology, and vise versa. But on the Gospel, we all agree that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior and it is our Christian duty to spread the Gospel

Now, I agree with Lewis more often than not, his writings show evidence that he was a very grounded man who studied the word of God. Whether or not you agree with everything he says, he did spread the gospel with the means he was gifted with i.e writing. He conveyed the gospel through the narnia series as Jesus conveyed the Gospel in a parable.
Can some people take the narnia series and turn them into something they are not? Yes, as with any other fantasy.
Can some people take the bible and turn it into something it is not? Yes, look at Mormonism and Jehovah's witness, they both use the same bible as us, and are not preaching the same gospel that is the true gospel.

CS Lewis is of a specific caliber, and taking up the cause for writing fantasy fiction is not equal to that.

CS Lewis is of a specific caliber, and taking up the cause for writing fantasy fiction is not equal to that.

Please elaborate, I do not know of very major theological issues that go against scripture that Lewis had.

If a christian wants to write fiction, he can do so and honor God. Just like a Christian can play a secular football game and honor God.

(I'm still new to this forum so i apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section)

I'm a bit of a nerd/geek. I love Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter and Star Wars and so on. I know there's a bit of a disagreement on things like LotR and Harry Potter and it is something i prayed about awhile ago for a time but i do not feel a conviction when watching or reading these things. I know that Christ warns us about sorcery and the occult not to practice it but i understand that these films are fictional and to me i feel no guilt in watching them.

Now i have been working on a fantasy story for a long time and eventually wish for it to be published. I do however feel in this context that i should put some sort of foreword in the beginning of the book stating that as a believer in Christ i want to emphasize that i am not trying to promote the occult or entice readers into practicing it. I would also add that this book is merely fictional and is in no way supposed to be taken as anything other than entertainment.

My fantasy story does involve magic and the such but it is also not used as an allegory or metaphor like the lion the witch and the wardrobe was by Mr. Lewis.

What are your thoughts on this? Like i said i don't feel any moral conviction about it but i want to put that word of warning at the beginning.
Sorcerers in the OT received the harshest punishment (burnt at the stake). This is because God is a jealous God. Sorcerers would lead people astray / cause 100% jealousy in God. God wants His people to pray to Him not a ouija board or demon. This is why it angered God.

Fantasy and magic are on all our minds. God doesn't mind us thinking of the unknown or what could be. He gave us our amazing minds. As long as we use it for Him or are neutral and not against Him, it is fine. Lord of the rings is neutral / slightly for Him. Harry Potter does push the envelope 'a little' by suggesting words to recite and rituals to perform.

Sorcerers in the OT received the harshest punishment (burnt at the stake). This is because God is a jealous God. Sorcerers would lead people astray / cause 100% jealousy in God. God wants His people to pray to Him not a ouija board or demon. This is why it angered God.

Fantasy and magic are on all our minds. God doesn't mind us thinking of the unknown or what could be. He gave us our amazing minds. As long as we use it for Him or are neutral and not against Him, it is fine. Lord of the rings is neutral / slightly for Him. Harry Potter does push the envelope 'a little' by suggesting words to recite and rituals to perform.

Actually it is not true to say we all have fantasy or magic on our minds.
It is also un wise to say God does not mind us thinking of these things, for
Philippians 4:8
Finally Brethren, Whatsoever things are TRUE, whatsoever things are HONEST, whatsoever things are JUST, whatsoever things are PURE, whatsoever things are LOVELY, whatsoever things are of GOOD REPORT: If there be any VIRTUE and if there be any PRAISE - THINK ON THESE THINGS.

So we clearly see that He does mind
God Bless
Jim

Actually that is not truly known. He wrote things but was not serving God or walking in His ways - so to claim christian writer is not so wise.

One of many truths about cf lewis
http://mikeduran.com/2007/08/how-“christian”-was-cs-lewis-and-why-is-he-an-evangelical-hero/

While I have to say that before i was a christian I was encouraged to some extent by the writings of Cs Lewis .
But not after .
For he mixes human philosophy and biblical thinking together . His perhaps most famous work " The Screwtape letters" clinched it.
For as i was reading it .I suddenly realised that the whole focus was what the devil and his minions were doing and there was nothing of the Word of God in it . So I rejected it and all completely from my mind .
I would not nor have since recommend any CS Lewis book be it ever so popular to any christian as a viable book of instruction.
and while God does use books and other means to draw a man to Himself .Once he knows the truth . The purest and most profound book of all is the Holy Bible.

in Christ
gerald

Actually it is not true to say we all have fantasy or magic on our minds. It is also un wise to say God does not mind us thinking of these things, for
Philippians 4:8
Finally Brethren, Whatsoever things are TRUE, whatsoever things are HONEST, whatsoever things are JUST, whatsoever things are PURE, whatsoever things are LOVELY, whatsoever things are of GOOD REPORT: If there be any VIRTUE and if there be any PRAISE - THINK ON THESE THINGS.

So we clearly see that He does mind
God Bless
Jim
I take it that you did not teach your kids about Santa Claus and the tooth fairy?

I don't completely disagree with you Jim. We must watch our thoughts. But I believe you are straining a gnat.

God has us thinking on angels, an unknown universe awaiting and miracles that defy the laws of physics. I think if anything, the bible is to blame for instilling fantasy and magic into society.

Back