Fasting

Have you ever wanted something from the Lord? What could you do to express your sincerity?
That type of fasting, which is common in most faiths, is most effective on personal levels which may move you into a condition to receive something from the Lord, assuming you are keeping the Word, for God said He doesn't delight in simple sacrifice.
The real fasting is something that God puts on you, to the point where you are totally consumed and nothing else has room.
I sure you know these things but it is good food.

It's to get closer to God, and also helps you repent.

Some times it's described as like a mourning period. Jesus fasted 40 days and 40 nights in the wilderness. It was a testing time for him. But when you get through it you are so much stronger and able to resist temptation in times of plenty.

It's not really done for the purpose of wanting something from the Lord. It's to get closer to Him. All that time while you fast, you are praying and in communion or communication with Him.

Some times it's described as like a mourning period. Jesus fasted 40 days and 40 nights in the wilderness. It was a testing time for him. But when you get through it you are so much stronger and able to resist temptation in times of plenty.

It's not really done for the purpose of wanting something from the Lord. It's to get closer to Him. All that time while you fast, you are praying and in communion or communication with Him.
OK Lanolin isn't getting closer to God a desire or want - or do you only 'want' things?

The apostles fasted in prayer for difficult situations. I know I have when I wish to pray for something pressing on my heart and mind. It helps me get closer to God. Camping in a remote location alone helps me with this process. The Greek Orthodox church I was raised in fasts regularly before the taking of communion, and during certain times of the year. During Easter for example, it is common to fast for 40 days from products which are or contain dairy, eggs, meat, or oil. It amazed me as a child the diversity of cooking with nuts, rice, beans, vegetables, grains, fish, fruit, and unleavened breads. We had desserts made with fruit, nuts, and honey. Pocket pies with a variety of fillings in a crust like dough were a fun food.
It was quite a spiritual time in our household. We were not allowed to make a lot of noise, watch TV, or listen to the radio. It would drive my clean freak mom batty that she couldnt use the vacuum cleaner like she needed. She would anyway, and it would make my grandma give her a lecture that she was setting a bad example. We should be allowed to play loud music and watch TV. I would secretly laugh with my sister, lol...

Thank you for getting to the core and describing your personal fasting. I enjoyed reading both your posts.

🙏 😎 🙏

OK Lanolin isn't getting closer to God a desire or want - or do you only 'want' things?
hmm not really I don't see it that way it's just making time for Him.
You are already close to God as He's IN you already I suppose but when we go about our lives we don't focus on Him we get distracted by everything and everyone going on around us.

Also psalm 23 says The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

I suppose if you go from being an unbeliever who doesn't understand the Lord being your shepherd then you would possibly DESIRE getting closer to God. Then you'd say I WANT to be close to God.

Romans 10:6-8 gives some food for thought.

thanks everyone.yes...
I was thinking, that maybe, omitting food or only taking small amounts now and then frees up the body and mind and soul to commit to a more intense prayer life.
monks do this I believe, when they only take one meal a day, they are in contemplation and the energy used to digest food goes into communion with God.

Isaiah 58, tells us the types of fasts God hates and good reasons to fast.

Isa 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? (KJV)

Loosing the bands of wickedness, in other words when we find we are sorely tempted to do what we know is not right is a good time to fast.
When we suffer under heavy burdens is another good time to fast and to remember that God can lighten our burdens.
To let the oppressed (in any way) go free another good reason. Oppression takes many forms, it can be those locked in bad relationships, work situations, it can be those overwhelmed or under the control of drugs, etc.

Common theme here is refocusing on God and remembering that God is all powerful and more than able to help us in our trials and afflictions.

Isa 58:7 is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh? (KJV)

To deal bread to the hungry another good reason. In fasting we can come to see the need to help, discern when to help and draw close to God so we know how to better help.
That you bring the poor home is another good reason. The poor are not just financially poor or needy, but also those who are in poor health, poor in spirit (humble) or lowly in other ways.
To cloth the naked is another good reason. There are many who need help to get by. It is easy to get caught up in our own troubles and not see the troubles of others.

Common theme here is having our eyes opened to ways to love others around us.

The whole chapter of Isaiah 58 is a good study on fasting.

Isaiah 58, tells us the types of fasts God hates and good reasons to fast.
Isa 58:6
Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? (KJV)
Loosing the bands of wickedness, in other words when we find we are sorely tempted to do what we know is not right is a good time to fast.
When we suffer under heavy burdens is another good time to fast and to remember that God can lighten our burdens.
To let the oppressed (in any way) go free another good reason. Oppression takes many forms, it can be those locked in bad relationships, work situations, it can be those overwhelmed or under the control of drugs, etc.
Common theme here is refocusing on God and remembering that God is all powerful and more than able to help us in our trials and afflictions.
Isa 58:7 is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh? (KJV)
To deal bread to the hungry another good reason. In fasting we can come to see the need to help, discern when to help and draw close to God so we know how to better help.
That you bring the poor home is another good reason. The poor are not just financially poor or needy, but also those who are in poor health, poor in spirit (humble) or lowly in other ways.
To cloth the naked is another good reason. There are many who need help to get by. It is easy to get caught up in our own troubles and not see the troubles of others.
Common theme here is having our eyes opened to ways to love others around us.
The whole chapter of Isaiah 58 is a good study on fasting.
Hello Chuck;

Thank you for sharing Isaiah 58. It answers my previous thoughts. The reasons you state is about being indelt, intimately and personal with God. We can experience how God reveals the needs of others and how He can release the things within us that is not good.

God bless you, brother and your family.

Yanno I just wanted to add something. There is no wrong or right way to fast. We are all made different and worship/pray differently. When I am fasting these days its from solid food. I do drink water, and a powdered protein. Complete fasting is a very difficult thing to do for days on end. I usually can fast this way for a week.

Hello thenami;

You're absolutely correct! When I fast I abstain from eating but cannot for a long period of time. But I still drink sips of water to stay hydrated because of my type 2 diabetes.

God knows and understands me better than myself. He sees my heart and glorifies His Name during my time of fasting.

God bless you, sister, and your family.

You get closer to God, when you fast and pray
Its like everyday concerns fall away and you start to see things from God's point of view is what I found, rather than our own limited, fleshly positions.

Maybe you have a burden or something that is really bothering you, well God might give you His perspective on it. And you will also see that, we can only do what we can do and God does the rest. Plus, He has lots of other people around the world who have the same concerns and are fasting and praying as well so it's not like you feel alone or it's all on you to solve.

Sometimes we just got to stop what we are doing, because whatever we had been doing actually may have contributed to the problem. Plus you get to enjoy His company without interruption.

Back