fear of future and end times

Trishcuit

Inactive
fear of future and end times

My husband gets stricken with fear to the point of taking to his bed and just laying here, thinking. He is afraid of the unknown future. Not of what we will eat and wear and where we will live, God has proven himself faithful in that countless times.
Let me just start by saying my husband has a mental illness. He is doing VERY well, thanks be to God, and is able to work and provide for his family.
However when something comes up that triggers thoughts about the end times he gets anxious. There are so many metaphors and mysteries in Revelations and that we are still trying to interpret and some may not even become clear until they are actually happening. We don't know what kind of tribulations we will have to witness or endure because of our faith. He is worried that he won't be able to stand. Also, needing medication to keep him on this side of reality is another worry of his. What if things get messy while we are still here and he can't get his meds? He had a breakdown a few years ago and the delusions and paranoia were truly heartbreaking.
God HAS lifted his burden before but it creeps back again. The uncertainty of the new President Obama (NOT saying he is the antichrist here, just not knowing what kind of changes he will bring and if he is in any way instrumental in end time matters) has brought on the latest attack of uncertainty. He is able to function at work still but comes home very quiet and preoccupied by his thoughts and worries. I am getting battle weary from having to pray for him and offer comfort etc.
Can anyone point me in the direction of fresh perspective or scripture I can pray over him or show him? He searches the Word all the time, and is much more the Biblical scholar than I. (I am very busy 'parenting' and running the household to be able to lock myself away and read scripture for hours at a time. He, on the other hand, has no problem sequestering himself for long periods and reading scriptures.) I suggest to him to get up and DO stuff and to take his mind off his own worries. No luck.

Before the end times start somethings ahve to happen first.

1. There is a confirmation of the peace treaty..look at Daniel chapter 9

2. Then those who are dead in Christ rise first and then we who are living will be caught up with him in the air.

3 Then the trib starts.

We wont be here.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zhZCKIiHQ3c&feature=related

As your hubbie has an illness that makes him get upset about these things and you obviosly worried too...then stopping reading about the endtimes would be about the best thing you can do if it takes your hubbie to the state where he takes to his bed.:groupray:

well I am resilient by nature and can 'handle' it. He can't. But it isn't so much even reading about it, the world events are all around us and if you know about end times it is pretty hard to ignore.
Besides, he, like many other husbands, don't listen to their wife's common sense. It takes a fellow guy buddy to say the same thing to him and then BLING on comes the light.

I have heard conflicting interpretations as to wether we are going to be here for tribulation and end times or not. The number, nobody can buy or sell with out it, and so forth.

Trish , at this point are you getting support from your church family and from Christian friends ? It seems that is what is needed and if you can join a cell group where there are others praying and supporting each other that would be a good place to go .

I feel deeply for you as you have the task of running the household as well as trying to help a sick husband.

If you could have a prayer group come to your home . That could help.

Also , if your husband has this good friend . Can you talk to him if your husband listens to him and maybe he can interest your husband in getting out of the house and go to a movie of bowling or even go to the gym. The male bonding might be good for him if this best friend is a Christian.

Lifting you up in prayer sister .

Trish , at this point are you getting support from your church family and from Christian friends ? It seems that is what is needed and if you can join a cell group where there are others praying and supporting each other that would be a good place to go .

I feel deeply for you as you have the task of running the household as well as trying to help a sick husband.

If you could have a prayer group come to your home . That could help.

Also , if your husband has this good friend . Can you talk to him if your husband listens to him and maybe he can interest your husband in getting out of the house and go to a movie of bowling or even go to the gym. The male bonding might be good for him if this best friend is a Christian.

Lifting you up in prayer sister .

That is great advise Mom!
Another thing- if Revelations is so fearful to your hubby in his current state then start to focus on something else. Learn who you are in Christ, go deeper into your relationship with God . Study His Word and see how faithful He is to His children. Then leave the future in His hands.
I will be praying for God's peace to be on your home.

I think it's interesting that the majority of Christians feel we are going to get raptured out of here and suffer not the tribulation. Doesn't the beast make war with God's people, and what about the souls under the altar in Rev 6:9-13? Wasn't the pre-trib rapture considered heresy, and revived was made popular by the 'Left Behind' series? I don't know enough about the end-times, but I think there's scripture that points to God's people having to endure until the end, at least the end of the persecution. We may not be here when final destruction comes, but remember Paul in Acts 9:16

"I kept looking, and that horn was waging war with the saints and overpowering them until the Ancient of Days came and judgment was passed in favor of the saints of the Highest One, and the time arrived when the saints took possession of the kingdom." Daniel 7:21

"The beast was given a mouth to utter proud words and blasphemies and to exercise his authority for forty-two months. He opened his mouth to blaspheme God, and to slander his name and his dwelling place and those who live in heaven. He was given power to make war against the saints and to conquer them. And he was given authority over every tribe, people, language and nation. All inhabitants of the earth will worship the beast—all whose names have not been written in the book of life belonging to the Lamb that was slain from the creation of the world.
He who has an ear, let him hear.
If anyone is to go into captivity,
into captivity he will go.
If anyone is to be killed with the sword,
with the sword he will be killed. This calls for patient endurance and faithfulness on the part of the saints." Revelations 13:5-10

"But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved." Matthew 24:13

"Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28

"For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will mislead many. You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes. But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs. Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name. At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another. Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many. Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold. But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved. This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come. Therefore when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains. Whoever is on the housetop must not go down to get the things out that are in his house. Whoever is in the field must not turn back to get his cloak. But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! But pray that your flight will not be in the winter, or on a Sabbath. For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will. Unless those days had been cut short, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short. Then if anyone says to you, 'Behold, here is the Christ,' or 'There He is,' do not believe him. For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect. Behold, I have told you in advance. So if they say to you, 'Behold, He is in the wilderness,' do not go out, or, 'Behold, He is in the inner rooms,' do not believe them. For just as the lightning comes from the east and flashes even to the west, so will the coming of the Son of Man be. Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather. But immediately after the tribulation of those days THE SUN WILL BE DARKENED, AND THE MOON WILL NOT GIVE ITS LIGHT, AND THE STARS WILL FALL from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the SON OF MAN COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF THE SKY with power and great glory. And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other. Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door. Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away. But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone. For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and they did not understand until the flood came and took them all away; so will the coming of the Son of Man be. Then there will be two men in the field; one will be taken and one will be left. Two women will be grinding at the mill; one will be taken and one will be left. Therefore be on the alert, for you do not know which day your Lord is coming. But be sure of this, that if the head of the house had known at what time of the night the thief was coming, he would have been on the alert and would not have allowed his house to be broken into. For this reason you also must be ready; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will. Who then is the faithful and sensible slave whom his master put in charge of his household to give them their food at the proper time? Blessed is that slave whom his master finds so doing when he comes. Truly I say to you that he will put him in charge of all his possessions. But if that evil slave says in his heart, 'My master is not coming for a long time,' and begins to beat his fellow slaves and eat and drink with drunkards; the master of that slave will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour which he does not know, and will cut him in pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Then the kingdom of heaven will be comparable to ten virgins, who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish, and five were prudent. For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them, but the prudent took oil in flasks along with their lamps. Now while the bridegroom was delaying, they all got drowsy and began to sleep. But at midnight there was a shout, 'Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.' Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps. The foolish said to the prudent, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.' But the prudent answered, 'No, there will not be enough for us and you too; go instead to the dealers and buy some for yourselves.' And while they were going away to make the purchase, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding feast; and the door was shut. Later the other virgins also came, saying, 'Lord, lord, open up for us.' But he answered, 'Truly I say to you, I do not know you.' Be on the alert then, for you do not know the day nor the hour. For it is just like a man about to go on a journey, who called his own slaves and entrusted his possessions to them. To one he gave five talents, to another, two, and to another, one, each according to his own ability; and he went on his journey. Immediately the one who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and gained five more talents. In the same manner the one who had received the two talents gained two more. But he who received the one talent went away, and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money. Now after a long time the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them. The one who had received the five talents came up and brought five more talents, saying, 'Master, you entrusted five talents to me. See, I have gained five more talents.' His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.' Also the one who had received the two talents came up and said, 'Master, you entrusted two talents to me. See, I have gained two more talents.' His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.' And the one also who had received the one talent came up and said, 'Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you scattered no seed. 'And I was afraid, and went away and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.' But his master answered and said to him, 'You wicked, lazy slave, you knew that I reap where I did not sow and gather where I scattered no seed. Then you ought to have put my money in the bank, and on my arrival I would have received my money back with interest. 'Therefore take away the talent from him, and give it to the one who has the ten talents.' For to everyone who has, more shall be given, and he will have an abundance; but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away. Throw out the worthless slave into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.' Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? 'And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 'When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' "The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.' Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.' Then they themselves also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?' Then He will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." Matthew 24-25

A New Heaven and Earth

"But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.

Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness,
looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat! But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells. 2 Peter 3:10-13

"There will be signs in sun and moon and stars, and on the earth dismay among nations, in perplexity at the roaring of the sea and the waves,

men fainting from fear and the expectation of the things which are coming upon the world; for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
"Then they will see THE SON OF MAN COMING IN A CLOUD with power and great glory. "But when these things begin to take place, straighten up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near." Luke 25-28

"And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father; and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ." Ephesians 5:18-21

"For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline. Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord or of me His prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity," 2 Timothy 1:7-9

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love." 1 John 4:18 I highly reccomend Mathew Henry's commentary on this passage: http://biblecommenter.com/1_john/4-18.htm

I expect to be here till the end but this is not really a rapture thread. It is more an issue of fear that needs to be dealt with. God is love and perfect love casts out all fear. The answer to this (and every other) dilema is to be found by delving deeper into His presence.

"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions, and give the money to the poor. Make yourselves wallets that don't wear out-a dependable treasure in heaven, where no thief can get close and no moth can destroy anything. Because where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. You must keep your belts fastened and your lamps burning. Be like people who are waiting for their master to return from a wedding. As soon as he arrives and knocks, they will open the door for him." Luke 12:32-36

Least is right, we will be here (if we're still alive) when many of the things written in Revelation will happen.

to the OP. I too get very scared sometimes of what is to come, that is when my soul realizes what is going to happen and my spirit grieves. I get scared yet excited =)
it is going to be very scary and horrible times when the horrible things start.
you can't lie to your husband about the end times so you need to find a way to comfort him and let him know that he is saved (that is if you truly know that he is, ask God) but then you can't do anything but support him, the rest is up to your husband, on the day that he will realize that he is saved, and that his eyes will open to what being saved means, he won't fear it anymore.

you cannot change anyone but only God changes.
why not take your husband to a Church ? or a Christian gathering place where you can all talk privately and help one another with positive thoughts?
what is your husband afraid of ? what will happen to unbelievers ? or what God is going to do to them ? is he fearing God and being scared of Him or having compassion on the people? you need to find out.

Boanerges said that he must delve deeper into His presence in prayer and that is true, that's how your husband will find peace and comfort.
no human can give someone comfort for more than a few minutes or hours.
God gives everlasting peace.

that peace is knowing that we are saved and forgiven.

Woody Allen has a saying I particularly like, although I am not a fan of the man himself:
I am not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens.

Praying for him for peace and protection and coverage is kind of like doing the dishes. It's an ongoing thing. It would be so much easier to only a have to pray about it once and that is it. I feel terrible for saying it but it is true: sometimes it feels like a chore. Sometimes I just don't feel I have it in me to give the time and spiritual energy and attention required.

He is most definitely saved. Thank the Lord because he would be in a real pickle if he were not. In fact he introduced me to the church that we have belonged to as a couple for nearly nine years, and himself for over ten.
One thing our church 'specializes' in is relationship and fellowship. Our home groups are a vital part of that. Getting out to our home group is tricky however because the other members all home school or their children are old enough to be self sufficient. We are the only ones that have to get our children up in time to catch a school bus. By the time things really get rolling we need to be getting the girls to bed or good luck getting them going in the morning. I hope this doesn't sound like I am making excuses, just stating the challenges we face.
His fears about end time tribulations reflect mine when I take time to think about them, something I avoid. It is because we have children. Just not knowing what we will have to endure or see each other endure and suffer through before the end. It is a product of the parenting instinct that God gave us.
My husband is doing extremely well. Too many with the 'Big S' go for years trying to find the medication that works for them or else they slip between the cracks. God truly has His hands upon us in this and we are very blessed. He works and is a fully functioning husband and father. But he is hypersensitive to worry and stress. Being the 'strong one' (myself) gets tiring sometimes. Yep, I think that about sums it up. Good night dear folks. I'm headed to bed.

My husband gets stricken with fear to the point of taking to his bed and just laying here, thinking. He is afraid of the unknown future. Not of what we will eat and wear and where we will live, God has proven himself faithful in that countless times.
Let me just start by saying my husband has a mental illness. He is doing VERY well, thanks be to God, and is able to work and provide for his family.
However when something comes up that triggers thoughts about the end times he gets anxious. There are so many metaphors and mysteries in Revelations and that we are still trying to interpret and some may not even become clear until they are actually happening. We don't know what kind of tribulations we will have to witness or endure because of our faith. He is worried that he won't be able to stand.

To stand as in continuing to believe Jesus?

When the tribulations revealed through the book of Revelations and the Gospels come will not that be a fulfilled prophecy and does not a prophecy fulfilled lead to a believers faith being strenghthened in their resolve.

As for facing death because of ones faith. What is the value of living in a world heading for a kind of hell on earth. To be executed for ones faith is both a great hounor and a mercyfull release from a world heading for even greater suffering.

The book of Revelation says about those who will be the persecutors of Christians in those later times.

Revelation 9
6 In those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will desire to die, and death will flee from them.

So what is better do die for ones faith in Jesus or to to survive till you wish you where dead but cannot die?

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I expect to be here till the end but this is not really a rapture thread. It is more an issue of fear that needs to be dealt with. God is love and perfect love casts out all fear. The answer to this (and every other) dilema is to be found by delving deeper into His presence.

Thanks Brother Bo; you did it again...:D;):shepherd:
To remain in His presence and fellowship doesn't mean we won't have hard times but it will mean that He will go through the hard times WITH us!

Trishcuit; Praise God that your husband is saved; he then has the Holy Spirit who is able to teach and guide him in all wisdom. Our flesh can still be engaged and depending upon his disability; the thought life can be overpowering. I would suggest (and will pray :pray:) that the Holy Word of God will be planted in him to strengthen his faith and encourage him to trust the Lord in greater measure. Read and print and post these and many more positive and encouraging and empowering scriptures where he will be reminded of God's goodness and love to him...

1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
Romans 8:37
Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
John 16:33
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
1 John 2:13
I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father.
1 John 2:14
I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.
1 John 4:4
Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
Revelation 17:14
These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

HALLELUJAH!!!!

Thanks folks! I will definitely print and post those verses everywhere.

He will retain his belief in Christ to the end I am sure.

I am sure the chronic recurring fear is the enemy capitalizing on his illness.

His fears about end time tribulations reflect mine when I take time to think about them, something I avoid. It is because we have children. Just not knowing what we will have to endure or see each other endure and suffer through before the end. It is a product of the parenting instinct that God gave us.
My husband is doing extremely well. Too many with the 'Big S' go for years trying to find the medication that works for them or else they slip between the cracks. God truly has His hands upon us in this and we are very blessed. He works and is a fully functioning husband and father. But he is hypersensitive to worry and stress. Being the 'strong one' (myself) gets tiring sometimes. Yep, I think that about sums it up. Good night dear folks. I'm headed to bed.

Tish , then maybe because you have the same fears , that might be his feeling of insecurity as well . You might be passing those fears on to him

I know you are a strong woman for doing all that you do in the household but you need to give that fear over to the Lord . He will look after you and He told us not to have a spirit of fear but a sound mind .

Ask the Lord for strenth and He will sustain you . It is not easy and I fully understand that.

We do not as Christians have to worry about the future for the future is in God's will so we just have to rest in His will knowing that He is taking care of everything . It is all a matter of trust.

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight

Proverbs 3:5-6.

Take this verse and put it in to your spirit and memorize it Trish .

Instead of copying all this thoughts and putting them up a better suggestion is going to the Bible and getting verses of trust and hope and faith and pin them up around your house.

You cannot change your husbands way of thinking but praise God .... God can, so pray in that way.and believe . God Bless.

Trish .... Here are some verses to copy and put on your fridge or where ever.

I would say to you that the spirit of fear that you and your husband have does not come from God . It comes from satan who wants to keep you bound .

Psalm 34:4
I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.

Psalm 34:7
The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.

Psalm 46:2
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,

Psalm 91:5
You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,

Psalm 112:7
He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD.

Proverbs 29:25
Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe.

Isaiah 35:4
say to those with fearful hearts, "Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you."

Isaiah 41:13
For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

Romans 8:15
For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."

Also the scriptures that worshipper has put there .... copy them as well and read them as often as you can

Back