Flow, peak performance, and Occultism

Hey guys, what's up?

I'm doing a little research on flow, peak performance, and its relation with the occultism. Basically flow and peak performance are the altering of our state of consciousness so that when we're doing an activity we feel as though we are one with our body and the time and space continuum.

You can read about flow here:
http://www.pursuit-of-happiness.org/history-of-happiness/mihaly-csikszentmihalyi/

Perhaps I should add an example of my own... have u ever done an activity that requires a lot of effort or control normally, but when you were doing it, you feel as though it was effortless, and you feel as if your movements are controlled outside of your conciousness, and that you're one with the world (time and space)? That's what is called flow; people who play sports call it "getting in the zone".

My questions would be:
1. (For people who play sports and can relate with the getting in the zone experience), are u a born again Christian? can u give me a reason why u consider yourself to be born again? I honestly don't mean to flame, but this question is very crucial and I will not make it a debate topic.
2. (For people who are familiar with the concept of transcendence of God and men), would you say that this type of experience shows our ability to become one with the time and space of continuum (i.e. transcend).

Your help with my research would be of much much help, and I thank you much much much for the help!

My questions would be:
1. (For people who play sports and can relate with the getting in the zone experience), are u a born again Christian? Yes

can u give me a reason why u consider yourself to be born again? I was convicted by the Holy Spirit of how empty I was inside and the need I had for Jesus to be my Savior. I believe on His name and asked Him to come into my heart and lead me. I believe He died for me and covered my sin with His love by shedding His blood.
In sports, to be in the zone has much to do with the level of your opponent. If they have much greater skill level then your "zone" is nonexistent. To be "in the zone" with an equal opponent, has to do with training your reactions to be automatic, to take into account what could happen and apply your strengths without having to think about it. Similar to musicians, they train the body to react in increasingly less time with increasingly less cognitive thought which gives you a natural "feel" for what you are doing. Sometimes called second nature.

Hey guys, what's up?

I'm doing a little research on flow, peak performance, and its relation with the occultism. Basically flow and peak performance are the altering of our state of consciousness so that when we're doing an activity we feel as though we are one with our body and the time and space continuum.

http://www.pursuit-of-happiness.org/history-of-happiness/mihaly-csikszentmihalyi/

Perhaps I should add an example of my own... have u ever done an activity that requires a lot of effort or control normally, but when you were doing it, you feel as though it was effortless, and you feel as if your movements are controlled outside of your conciousness, and that you're one with the world (time and space)? That's what is called flow; people who play sports call it "getting in the zone".

My questions would be:
1. (For people who play sports and can relate with the getting in the zone experience), are u a born again Christian? can u give me a reason why u consider yourself to be born again? I honestly don't mean to flame, but this question is very crucial and I will not make it a debate topic.
2. (For people who are familiar with the concept of transcendence of God and men), would you say that this type of experience shows our ability to become one with the time and space of continuum (i.e. transcend).

Your help with my research would be of much much help, and I thank you much much much for the help!

The idea of "being in the flow" might be as simple as adrenaline kicking in.

1.) Yes I am born again!
I do not feel that I am, I KNOW that I am according to the Word of God. Being born again is not a feeling but rather an accepted truth.

Romans 10:9
"That if thou shalt confess with thou mouth the Lord Jesus and shall believe in thine heart that God raised Him from the dead, THOU SHALT BE SAVED".

1 John 5:1.....
"Whosever believes that Jesus is the Christ IS BORN OF GOD.........."

2.) I am going to defer on this one as I am not qualified to speak to your thought.

I will say that when we become born again believers we are new creatures IN Christ Jesus and Jesus as God has no conflict with time. He is beyond time and existence in that He as the Creator made all things and time itself could not have begun until He as the Creator created the sun.

I do not know if that is what you are looking for and it is only my thinking and nothing more.

Hey guys, what's up?

My questions would be:

I'm not certain what this Flow concept is. I did quickly look over the article you posted.

What it brings to my mind is the power of thought and words. Example: If a person is always talking and thinking negative; I believe that takes them in whatever direction their speech and thoughts are.

As far as the 'born again' question, I respectfully decline to answer.

Now the 'sports' aspect of your post - I, myself, don't believe in competition with others. I feel it breeds animosity, jealousy, and envy.
I only believe in competition with oneself. My reasoning for that - I don't believe in the coming Kingdom of God, there will be competition between others because of the ill feelings it may bring.

I'm not certain what this Flow concept is. I did quickly look over the article you posted.

What it brings to my mind is the power of thought and words. Example: If a person is always talking and thinking negative; I believe that takes them in whatever direction their speech and thoughts are.

As far as the 'born again' question, I respectfully decline to answer.

Now the 'sports' aspect of your post - I, myself, don't believe in competition with others. I feel it breeds animosity, jealousy, and envy.
I only believe in competition with oneself. My reasoning for that - I don't believe in the coming Kingdom of God, there will be competition between others because of the ill feelings it may bring.
Thanks for putting the issue of the power of thoughts and words in front, dumpster!

It's ok if u don't want to share bro..

heheh and I agree with you, competition doesn't have any benefits, how much better for the world if there weren't any..

edit: if anyone want to share their 2 cents about the topic or anything you feel related to it, feel free!

The idea of "being in the flow" might be as simple as adrenaline kicking in.

1.) Yes I am born again!
I do not feel that I am, I KNOW that I am according to the Word of God. Being born again is not a feeling but rather an accepted truth.

Romans 10:9
"That if thou shalt confess with thou mouth the Lord Jesus and shall believe in thine heart that God raised Him from the dead, THOU SHALT BE SAVED".

1 John 5:1.....
"Whosever believes that Jesus is the Christ IS BORN OF GOD.........."

2.) I am going to defer on this one as I am not qualified to speak to your thought.

I will say that when we become born again believers we are new creatures IN Christ Jesus and Jesus as God has no conflict with time. He is beyond time and existence in that He as the Creator made all things and time itself could not have begun until He as the Creator created the sun.

I do not know if that is what you are looking for and it is only my thinking and nothing more.

No worries, every idea counts!

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
My questions would be:
1. (For people who play sports and can relate with the getting in the zone experience), are u a born again Christian?

I am Roman Catholic, we do not use that terminology.

can u give me a reason why u consider yourself to be born again? I honestly don't mean to flame, but this question is very crucial and I will not make it a debate topic.

As a Roman Catholic, I understand the meaning of the phrase "born again", and yes I have been converted, but we do not use that terminology.

I would say that the notion of "time space continuum" that you are using has no basis in reality.
Being "in the groove" is a purely physical/emotional phenomenon and has nothing to do with "transcendence".
With these sorts of notions a healthy use of Occam's Razor will usually slice off the nonsense.

I am Roman Catholic, we do not use that terminology.

As a Roman Catholic, I understand the meaning of the phrase "born again", and yes I have been converted, but we do not use that terminology.

I would say that the notion of "time space continuum" that you are using has no basis in reality.
Being "in the groove" is a purely physical/emotional phenomenon and has nothing to do with "transcendence".
With these sorts of notions a healthy use of Occam's Razor will usually slice off the nonsense.
Thanks for the reply and 2 cents! And sorry for not being sensitive about the terminology of Roman Catholics!

Thanks for the reply and 2 cents! And sorry for not being sensitive about the terminology of Roman Catholics!
There was no offense. The Catholic and Orthodox view is that salvation is a process that begins at conversion and ends at death. As opposed to the view held by many Protestants that you are saved when you agree that Christ is Lord and they call this being "born again".
I'm sure that this could be phrased better, but that's the Reader's Digest version.

Hey guys, what's up?

My questions would be:

I've never played a great deal in sports, but I offer my answer to #1: Yes, I am a born again Christian. I know this to be true because the Word of God tells me so, and my experiences of Jesus transforming my life from one of complete and utterly lost thinking (wandering around in the dark) to sane reasoning and enlightened thinking guided by His Word and the Holy Spirit. Studying His Word renews my mind to right thinking (Romans 12:2) and clears up confusion (1 Corinthians 14:33).

I would think "getting in the zone" could be likened to when I'm driving my car home and get lost in thinking about the Lord, and suddenly realize I'm pulling into my driveway, not even remembering how I got there. (Thank you, Jesus, for keeping me safe!)

And now I have some questions for you.

For what purpose are you doing research (college, personal quest)? And also, how are you going to relate your research to occultism?

The article you linked to mentions many famous people. Are you going to include them in the research? I don't think any of them confess Jesus Christ as their Lord.

Waiting to hear from you...

Competition is not always bad. I have play more than my share of sports; football, baseball, basketball, volleyball. I learned a lot about respect for others, in that, how to be a good sport when losing and winning; how to help others with a lower skill level; realize my own breaking points which cause me to sin, lose my cool, think too highly of myself and such. When you can compete in a respectful way, good can come from it. Paul was inspired to say, 1 Corinthians 9:24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

I've never played a great deal in sports, but I offer my answer to #1: Yes, I am a born again Christian. I know this to be true because the Word of God tells me so, and my experiences of Jesus transforming my life from one of complete and utterly lost thinking (wandering around in the dark) to sane reasoning and enlightened thinking guided by His Word and the Holy Spirit. Studying His Word renews my mind to right thinking (Romans 12:2) and clears up confusion (1 Corinthians 14:33).

I would think "getting in the zone" could be likened to when I'm driving my car home and get lost in thinking about the Lord, and suddenly realize I'm pulling into my driveway, not even remembering how I got there. (Thank you, Jesus, for keeping me safe!)

And now I have some questions for you.

For what purpose are you doing research (college, personal quest)? And also, how are you going to relate your research to occultism?

The article you linked to mentions many famous people. Are you going to include them in the research? I don't think any of them confess Jesus Christ as their Lord.

Waiting to hear from you...
Thanks for the reply!

The purpose of my research is personal. You can say that it's related to a personal struggle of mine.
My hypotheses is that when we do things that makes us feel like we're one with the world (or certain altered state of consciousness), flow in this matter, we are subjecting ourselves to satan's pace/work in this world.

And it is exactly because people who aren't Christians are mentioned that I ask whether or not you are born again.. The hypotheses is if u were [born again], u might not be able to submit yourself to such altered state of consciousness. Or if u could, u would be subjecting yourself to danger.

Perhaps I could've searched for books by more experienced people, but alas I don't know where to look, and the information about such things are scarce on the internet.

And because I've made the purpose of my research known, I'm going to close the thread.. Thanks to all who've participated in this little exploratory research of mine. God Bless

Back