FORGIVENESS

godbe4me

Unavailable
Staff Member on LOA
In Running on Empty, Jill Briscoe writes:

A woman I met at a conference told me how she was sexually abused as a small child by her father. She grew up, overcame the emotional damage that had been done, and eventually married a missionary. Years later, after her children were fully grown, she received a letter from her father telling her he had become a Christian and had asked God for forgiveness and received it. He had, moreover, realized he had sinned dreadfully against her, and was writing to ask for her pardon.
Feelings she didn't know were suddenly surfaced. It wasn't fair! He should pay for what he had done, she thought bitterly. It was all too easy. And now he was going to be part of the family! She was sure her home church was busy killing the fattened calf for him and that she would be invited to the party! She was angry, resentful....
Then she had a dream. She saw her father standing on an empty stage. Above him appeared the hands of God holding a white robe of righteousness. She recognized it at once, for she was wearing one just like it! As the robe began to descend toward her father, she woke up crying out, "No! It isn't fair! What about me?"
The only way she could finally rejoice, as her heavenly Father pleaded with her to do, was to realize that her earthly father was now wearing the same robe that she was. They were the same in God's sight. It had cost his Son's life to provide both those robes. As she began to see her father clothed with the garments of grace, she was able to begin to rejoice.

Bitterness, Family, Grace, Mercy, Righteousness, Sexual Abuse
Matt. 18:21-35; Luke 15:11-32

Dear Godbe4me;

Thank you for sharing Forgiveness - Running on empty by Jill Briscoe.

2018 has been a busy season for me. In my community, church and abroad many people have been dealing with unforgiveness and 9 times out of 10 its eating away at them. Whether a bruised ego / pride, anger, jealousy, whatever, unforgiveness (all principalities of darkness), is a battle and for many reasons they just cannot let it go, especially father - mother - son and daughter relationships.

It opened my eyes and began to wonder about those that I haven't forgiven in my life, but when I chose to forgive, it felt like a release of weight on my shoulders. I felt peace with lessons learned, then could move on to the next thing.

it's not easy and there is no cookie cutter process. But the Scriptures point to God knowing each one of us and our relationships, uniquely, and will make a way to bring forgiveness, covered with reconciliation and restoration to our relationships.

God bless you, Godbe4me, and your family.

In Running on Empty, Jill Briscoe writes:

A woman I met at a conference told me how she was sexually abused as a small child by her father. She grew up, overcame the emotional damage that had been done, and eventually married a missionary. Years later, after her children were fully grown, she received a letter from her father telling her he had become a Christian and had asked God for forgiveness and received it. He had, moreover, realized he had sinned dreadfully against her, and was writing to ask for her pardon.
Feelings she didn't know were suddenly surfaced. It wasn't fair! He should pay for what he had done, she thought bitterly. It was all too easy. And now he was going to be part of the family! She was sure her home church was busy killing the fattened calf for him and that she would be invited to the party! She was angry, resentful....
Then she had a dream. She saw her father standing on an empty stage. Above him appeared the hands of God holding a white robe of righteousness. She recognized it at once, for she was wearing one just like it! As the robe began to descend toward her father, she woke up crying out, "No! It isn't fair! What about me?"
The only way she could finally rejoice, as her heavenly Father pleaded with her to do, was to realize that her earthly father was now wearing the same robe that she was. They were the same in God's sight. It had cost his Son's life to provide both those robes. As she began to see her father clothed with the garments of grace, she was able to begin to rejoice.

Bitterness, Family, Grace, Mercy, Righteousness, Sexual Abuse
Matt. 18:21-35; Luke 15:11-32

As much as I have been learning/hearing about forgiveness... This really painted a picture for me that helps get in me deeper. And to further make more solid the fact that to The Father sin is sin. One sin is not bigger than another. And that no matter when you come to Jesus, everyone gets the same reward.

The thing that I also see... Is how people (believers) who have lived a pretty straight life with no "big" sins can view sins in differing degrees. Yet to know that the Father looks at them all the same.... Is something that we all should be renewing our minds to. It helps I think, also to help us realize in reality how much Jesus has done for us all. And hopefully will help someone who is being self-righteous, to realize that they need a Savior just as much as someone who has committed a sin that in their mind is viewed as worse than something they did. It helps to help us all be honest with our selves and The Father that none of us can do this on our own without Him :)

Thank you for sharing this wonderful example of The Father's Grace.

Back