Formed, made, created

Isaiah 43:7 King James Version (KJV)
7 Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

Those three words, formed, made, created, do not mean the same thing. If they did, the verse would have said "I created him, I created him, I created him."

"Create" means to bring into existence something that never existed before. A thing can only be created once: after that you are merely making another one. "Formed" means pushed into shape, a much simpler action than creating or making.

We gain understanding in God's word by examining the meanings of words. Let us examine what God says about the words He uses.

Psalm 12:6-7 King James Version (KJV)
6 The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

7 Thou shalt keep them, O Lord, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

The first thing we notice here is that there is no such thing as a "furnace of earth". That is your signal that we have either a mistranslation or a figure of speech. It is a figure of speech. An ellipsis is where a word is used twice but omitted in one place. The original language makes this a lot clearer because "of earth" is plural to agree with "words", not singular to agree with "furnace". The verse should have been rendered "The words of the Lord are pure words as silver tried in a furnace: [words] of earth, purified seven times."

We should always remember that God uses words more perfectly than we do; He purifies the meanings. That is why we look up the first usage of a word in the bible to see what God's definition is. And because we sometimes assign a new meaning to a word, so does God. For that reason you check every use of a word to see if it is redefined at some point. For example, the word "rod" has three different meanings in the bible: it is first a weapon capable of causing death, then in Psalm 23 it is the thing with a hook that a shepherd uses to guide the sheep, and in Proverbs it becomes a more philosophical "rod of correction" to be applied to children and fools.

So don't try to tell me that the bible says to beat your children, because it says the same treatment for a fool. Don't be that fool!

Isaiah 43:7 King James Version (KJV)
7 Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

Those three words, formed, made, created, do not mean the same thing. If they did, the verse would have said "I created him, I created him, I created him."

"Create" means to bring into existence something that never existed before. A thing can only be created once: after that you are merely making another one. "Formed" means pushed into shape, a much simpler action than creating or making.

We gain understanding in God's word by examining the meanings of words. Let us examine what God says about the words He uses.

Psalm 12:6-7 King James Version (KJV)
6 The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

7 Thou shalt keep them, O Lord, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

The first thing we notice here is that there is no such thing as a "furnace of earth". That is your signal that we have either a mistranslation or a figure of speech. It is a figure of speech. An ellipsis is where a word is used twice but omitted in one place. The original language makes this a lot clearer because "of earth" is plural to agree with "words", not singular to agree with "furnace". The verse should have been rendered "The words of the Lord are pure words as silver tried in a furnace: [words] of earth, purified seven times."

We should always remember that God uses words more perfectly than we do; He purifies the meanings. That is why we look up the first usage of a word in the bible to see what God's definition is. And because we sometimes assign a new meaning to a word, so does God. For that reason you check every use of a word to see if it is redefined at some point. For example, the word "rod" has three different meanings in the bible: it is first a weapon capable of causing death, then in Psalm 23 it is the thing with a hook that a shepherd uses to guide the sheep, and in Proverbs it becomes a more philosophical "rod of correction" to be applied to children and fools.

So don't try to tell me that the bible says to beat your children, because it says the same treatment for a fool. Don't be that fool!

I agree with your thought! I would also say the Context goes a long way to understand a meaning.

English Standard Version
"The words of the LORD are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times."

Berean Study Bible
"The words of the LORD are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace, like gold purified sevenfold."

New American Standard Bible
The words of the LORD are pure words; As silver tried in a furnace on the earth, refined seven times.

EXEGETICAL (ORIGINAL LANGUAGES)
From the Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges
"in a furnace of earth" = The precise meaning is Either...…..
(1) in a furnace on the earth (R.V.), i.e. a furnace built on the ground.
(2) silver refined in a furnace (flowing down) to the earth may be meant to picture the bright stream of pure metal flowing from the furnace, shewing that the process of refining has done its work.

I would also say that there is no record in the Bible of child abuse. But talking about child abuse and the Bible is difficult because people have a tendency to fall into extremes. Some consider thoughtful, conservative spankings to be horribly violent acts. Others abuse their children, erroneously justifying their own violent tendencies by misinterpreting the Bible.

In reality, the Bible is protective of children but realistic about what measures are necessary to develop their character.

I can say without hesitation that if my parents had not spanked me as a child I would not be sitting here writing these words.

Last edited:
Sacrificing babies to Molech, wouldnt that be child abuse.
Also Jesus said suffer the little children and forbid them not, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

The slaughter of the innocents, and all the babies that were drowned in Moses time, yea..I would say that was child abuse. Cos children died.. !

Child abuse is something that people who perpetuate it say they doing for the childs good. But you know if a child is hungry and you beat them for crying they are hungry..its on you for failing to feed them.

I am only sitting here writing these words because of Jesus Christ my Lord and saviour.

No matter what my parents may have done or not done to me. If my mother and father forsake me the Lord will take me up.

I agree with your thought! I would also say the Context goes a long way to understand a meaning.

English Standard Version
"The words of the LORD are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times."

Berean Study Bible
"The words of the LORD are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace, like gold purified sevenfold."

New American Standard Bible
The words of the LORD are pure words; As silver tried in a furnace on the earth, refined seven times.

EXEGETICAL (ORIGINAL LANGUAGES)
From the Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges
"in a furnace of earth" = The precise meaning is Either...…..
(1) in a furnace on the earth (R.V.), i.e. a furnace built on the ground.
(2) silver refined in a furnace (flowing down) to the earth may be meant to picture the bright stream of pure metal flowing from the furnace, shewing that the process of refining has done its work.

I would also say that there is no record in the Bible of child abuse. But talking about child abuse and the Bible is difficult because people have a tendency to fall into extremes. Some consider thoughtful, conservative spankings to be horribly violent acts. Others abuse their children, erroneously justifying their own violent tendencies by misinterpreting the Bible.

In reality, the Bible is protective of children but realistic about what measures are necessary to develop their character.

I can say without hesitation that if my parents had not spanked me as a child I would not be sitting here writing these words.

OMG! Somebody agrees with me! I won't know how to act!

Re spanking: The final argument is always something to the effect "It's the only way I know." My parents spanked me as a child, and I swore I would never treat my kids that way. If you love a kid it doesn't make much difference if you beat him or not. If you don't love a kid it doesn't make much difference if you beat him or not.

"I would also say that there is no record in the Bible of child abuse. "
2 Samuel 7:14 calls it "stripes of children".

Last edited:
OMG! Somebody agrees with me! I won't know how to act!

Re spanking: The final argument is always something to the effect "It's the only way I know." My parents spanked me as a child, and I swore I would never treat my kids that way. If you love a kid it doesn't make much difference if you beat him or not. If you don't love a kid it doesn't make much difference if you beat him or not.

"I would also say that there is no record in the Bible of child abuse. "
2 Samuel 7:14 calls it "stripes of children".

However, as has been stated...….the actual words, "Child Abuse" is not in the Bible and neither is there any suggestion of it.

"I will chasten him with the rod of men," i.e., Gently and favourably, as parents do their children; thereby to break their stomachs, but not their bones.
I will not lay the weight of my mighty hand upon him, to crush him to pieces, or grind him to powder; I will not scourge him with scorpions, but chasten him with the rods of men, of old, or weak, sickly men - as the Hebrew word signifieth (a) - who cannot strike".
https://www.studylight.org/commentary/2-samuel/7-14.html

Loving correction is what the Scriptures teach and not child abuse.

Well of course those words 'child abuse' arent actually in the Bible like a lot of words arent that you have pointed out in Previous posts Major like 'trinity' is inferred. I recall you were having an intense argument with saul over what words were and werent actually in the Bible!

This isnt to say the Bible endorses it at all its just to say that child abuse DID happen becuase of neglectful and wicked elders. Jesus said that if one person causes his little ones who believe in Him to fall or stumble it would be better for that person if a millstone was tied around his neck and he was cast into the sea! JEsus was really serious about people treating his lambs with kindness.

Matthew 18:6

A rod isnt used to beat people with its used to guide and correct. The shepherds crook (rod and staff) was never used to beat up the sheep. It was actually used to pull them back if they went astray.

Back