Forty Days to Ascension (i.e. Acts 1:3)

Acts 1:3 has the following tidbit.

He presented himself alive to them after his suffering by many proofs, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God. (ESV)

I am wondering what Jesus may have taught during these forty days that was not recorded elsewhere. Are there any canonical or non-canonical explanations of this period?

I am wondering what Jesus may have taught during these forty days that was not recorded elsewhere. Are there any canonical or non-canonical explanations of this period?
Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any non-canonical. The most likely non-canonical candidate would be Gnostic. And there is little doubt these would be esoteric, mystical, and secret teachings for which they are famous. That is, if they exist.

Last edited:

If you send me your ‘love gift’ I can send you my, “Secrets and Speculations’ of Jesus’ Post Resurrection Appearances” complete with photos, pictures and charts. LOL

There is NO information canonical or non about those 40 days. All we know is that he showed Himself and spoke of the Kingdom.

A really good question might be, why 40 days?

It symbolizes a period of testing, trial or probation. It can also mean or symbolize a generation of man.

God flooded the earth by having it rain for forty days and nights

Moses' 1st 49 years of life shows him from growing up in Pharaoh's household and living in Egypt.
The 2nd 40 years of his life is spent as a shepherd in the wilderness until God calls him at 80.
The third 40 years of his life he leads the Israelites out of Egypt and wanders the wilderness until he dies at age 120.

Moses was also on Mount Sinai, on two separate occasions, for 40 days and nights (Exodus 24:18, 34:1)
He also sent spies, for forty days, to investigate the land God promised the Israelites as an inheritance.
He wandered 40 years in the desert.

The book of Exodus, in the King James translation, is the only book that has 40 chapters.

The Judges who served 40 years include Othniel, Deborah and Barak, Eli and Gideon.

The first three human kings over the children of Israel, Saul, David and Solomon, each ruled for forty years.

Abraham pleaded to save Sodom & Gomoarh if only 40 righteous people were found.

Both Isaac and Esau were forty years old when they were first married.

Elijah went 40 days without food or water at Mount Horeb.

Jesus was tempted by the devil many times during the 40 complete days.

The prophet Jonah powerfully warned ancient Nineveh, for forty days.

Ezekiel was told to lay on his right side for 40 days for the Kingdom of Judah.

Forty years after his crucifixion the Romans destroyed the city and burned its beloved temple.

The Bible was written by 40 different men.

Thats privileged information and is only given out when a love offering is provided.
For some reason I find the phrase "love offering" highly offensive. I need to remind myself every time that it's supposed to be funny.

I would say that He stayed here for 40 days to prove that He was actually risen from the dead.
That right there is the bottom line of salvation isnt it!!!
I was thinking perhaps Jesus taught his disciples lessons for their eyes only and possibly charged them to tell no one. Why else would nothing of those days be written down?

For some reason I find the phrase "love offering" highly offensive. I need to remind myself every time that it's supposed to be funny.

I was thinking perhaps Jesus taught his disciples lessons for their eyes only and possibly charged them to tell no one. Why else would nothing of those days be written down?
I find the phrase "love offering" funny. I am sorry that you don't.

I find the phrase "love offering" funny. I am sorry that you don't.
I don't want to derail this thread but I owe you an explanation.

When you ask for a 'love offering' you are in effect asking me to subordinate myself to you by offering an expected gift. I don't appreciate being asked to give a token of my subordination.

I know you were being humorous and I try hard to remind myself that this was never your intention, but nonetheless that is the effect.

🙏🙏

I was thinking perhaps Jesus taught his disciples lessons for their eyes only and possibly charged them to tell no one.
I mean no offense, but I must point out that type of thinking has lead to all kinds of false doctrines. Please understand I know you are not implying or suggesting anything that might be perceived as unorthodox in nature.

The Gnostics took that idea and ran as far and as fast as far they could with it. It led to all kinds of strange and weird ideas. If you are interested I could provide some examples. Gnosticism was not "one size fits all." It came in many different varieties, however at its core was the idea of secret knowledge, something that no was else knew but them. The outsider needed access to that so-called secret teachings in order to gain salvation.

The Catholic Church also follows a similar line of thought especially when it comes to doctrines concerning Mary. For example the immaculate conception, the assumption of Mary, and the perpetual virginity of Mary come to mind. None of these are taught in the Scriptures, but the Catholic Church says these are Apostolic teachings that have been handed down to the church by the apostles.

Why else would nothing of those days be written down?
It is tempting to speculate but in reality no human being knows the answer to that question. The following are just a few examples of people trying to fill in the gaps of our knowledge concerning Jesus.

Protoevangelium of James
The Infancy Gospel of Thomas
The Gospel of Mary
The Gospel of Thomas
The Gospel of Truth
The Gospel of Judas
The Gospel of Peter
The Gospel of Mary
The Gospel of Philip
The Gospel of the Egyptians
Sophia of Jesus Christ
Pistis Sophia
Apocalypse of Peter
Apocryphon of John
Second Treatise of the Great Seth
Hypostasis of the Archons

Last edited:
I don't want to derail this thread but I owe you an explanation.

When you ask for a 'love offering' you are in effect asking me to subordinate myself to you by offering an expected gift. I don't appreciate being asked to give a token of my subordination.

I know you were being humorous and I try hard to remind myself that this was never your intention, but nonetheless that is the effect.

🙏🙏
This is just a little confusing. You just said........."I know you were being humorous".

But then you had to suggest you to be subordinated and no one expected you to give a gift.

It was a......."I know you were being humorous".

Bless your heart!

The Gnostics took that idea and ran as far and as fast as far they could with it. It led to all kinds of strange and weird ideas. If you are interested I could provide some examples. Gnosticism was not "one size fits all." It came in many different varieties, however at its core was the idea of secret knowledge, something that no was else knew but them.
You bring up a good point.
I wasn't thinking of Gnostic teaching per-se but we do have precedent within the Bible of Jesus telling his disciples to not repeat what they witnessed. For example, 'And as they were coming down the mountain, Jesus commanded them, “Tell no one the vision, until the Son of Man is raised from the dead.”' (Mathew 17:9)

In this case, Jesus placed a qualification on their silence but perhaps his teaching during the 40 days had no such limit? I'm just speculating here and was hoping that maybe there were some early church teachings outside of Gnostics that shed some light on this.

Thanks

Back