From Common To Uncommon

When the light first breaks in on the soul, it is sweet to it, to the new life and nature. It is the work of the Spirit; but in order to promote it, and to enjoy what the light confers, I must practically prefer it to everything else. If I do not give it first place and absolute attention, it remains inactive, like a light in a dark lantern; hence it is said, “we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard” (Heb 2:1).

If you have had a glimpse of the unsearchable riches of Christ, have you been diverted by it from other things which claimed your attention and interest or have you gone on as usual? Can you sit and talk as usual, dress as usual, read the books you used to read? In a word, though you have tasted something great, has it no peculiar effect on you? Has it produced no marked alteration in your feelings about things? If not, it really does not control you, and this is the secret of why you do not advance.

If it (the knowledge of the Lord Jesus) controlled you, in spite of yourself and without perceiving it, you would retire daily more and more form usual things, because more and more engrossed with Him. You would not make any arrangements to break away from this or that thing, but in seeking to know more of Christ, like a bird ascending to the sky, you would leave earthly things behind. The sky and air would be more beautiful to you as you ascended, and the things you had separated from would not be accounted of.

What is the good of things if they are not used? As you use them, you must distance yourself from the lower associations. If you will not break from the common, you will never enjoy the uncommon. It is here where so many are detained. They wish for wings—they admire flying but the moment they find that flying will distance them from the old haunts and old tastes, they are content to hop, and not fly; they are sluggards, they “desire and have nothing” (Pro 13:4).

The fact is, the more we grow up in the knowledge of the Lord Jesus, the more we must separate from that which is contrary to Him. The babe in Christ can mix with those, and can do things with impunity, which would make the mature in Christ miserable. Spiritual sensitivity increases with growth. The babe can endure an atmosphere which would be insupportable to a young man in Christ. It is the contrary way between the new creation and the old. In the latter, the young require the most attention and care and delicate nursing; but in the new, it is as there is growth that one must be increasingly watchful of every incongruity, because the organization is so high and holy that the more it is developed, the more it is necessary to ward off everything that would grieve and hinder it.

When fruit trees are in blossom, that is the most precarious time and the moment they are nearest having fruit is the one in which they must be best sheltered from ungenial weather, far more so than at any other period of their existence. You have thought you could enjoy the uncommon and yet retain the usual, but you cannot. In proportion as you hold to the one, you weaken the other.

- J B Stoney

Hello netchaplain;

Thank you for posting From Common to Uncommon I always enjoy reading your teachings, Bob.

After reading your thread these thoughts came to me.

After I pray first thing in the morning, I go about my day structured. That's just the way I am. It works and I'm comfortable. I also find times when I'm spontaneous. Whether my life is structured or spontaneous it has to be Christ Centered.

But when idleness diverts my attention, do I think of something to do? For example, instead of deciding to go out, watch a dvd movie, go shopping or turn on the TV, I will take out my Bible and do my daily reading instead of waiting until my structured schedule of study in the later evening.

I judge myself for appearing self righteous, but in truth, I am constantly having to go into prayer to God because I have my own share of issues. I don't feel I have to announce this, but it's true.

I have all the free will to make worldly decisions contrary to Christ, but instead choose to meet the challenge of conforming to Him. I choose to meet the challenge because I am conscious of God's only Begotten Son, and this is a good thing.

I love Jesus so much and am not ashamed to suffer for Him, as He suffered for all of us. But I have to remind myself, this is easier said than done. Am I really following Him more and more daily?

God bless you, Bob, and your family.

When the light first breaks in on the soul, it is sweet to it, to the new life and nature. It is the work of the Spirit; but in order to promote it, and to enjoy what the light confers, I must practically prefer it to everything else. If I do not give it first place and absolute attention, it remains inactive, like a light in a dark lantern; hence it is said, “we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard” (Heb 2:1).

If you have had a glimpse of the unsearchable riches of Christ, have you been diverted by it from other things which claimed your attention and interest or have you gone on as usual? Can you sit and talk as usual, dress as usual, read the books you used to read? In a word, though you have tasted something great, has it no peculiar effect on you? Has it produced no marked alteration in your feelings about things? If not, it really does not control you, and this is the secret of why you do not advance.

If it (the knowledge of the Lord Jesus) controlled you, in spite of yourself and without perceiving it, you would retire daily more and more form usual things, because more and more engrossed with Him. You would not make any arrangements to break away from this or that thing, but in seeking to know more of Christ, like a bird ascending to the sky, you would leave earthly things behind. The sky and air would be more beautiful to you as you ascended, and the things you had separated from would not be accounted of.

What is the good of things if they are not used? As you use them, you must distance yourself from the lower associations. If you will not break from the common, you will never enjoy the uncommon. It is here where so many are detained. They wish for wings—they admire flying but the moment they find that flying will distance them from the old haunts and old tastes, they are content to hop, and not fly; they are sluggards, they “desire and have nothing” (Pro 13:4).

The fact is, the more we grow up in the knowledge of the Lord Jesus, the more we must separate from that which is contrary to Him. The babe in Christ can mix with those, and can do things with impunity, which would make the mature in Christ miserable. Spiritual sensitivity increases with growth. The babe can endure an atmosphere which would be insupportable to a young man in Christ. It is the contrary way between the new creation and the old. In the latter, the young require the most attention and care and delicate nursing; but in the new, it is as there is growth that one must be increasingly watchful of every incongruity, because the organization is so high and holy that the more it is developed, the more it is necessary to ward off everything that would grieve and hinder it.

When fruit trees are in blossom, that is the most precarious time and the moment they are nearest having fruit is the one in which they must be best sheltered from ungenial weather, far more so than at any other period of their existence. You have thought you could enjoy the uncommon and yet retain the usual, but you cannot. In proportion as you hold to the one, you weaken the other.

- J B Stoney

Netchaplain, this is a fantastic message and I certainly see how applicable it is to me. After over 40 years of claiming “agnosticism” as my religion, I am still amazed how unseen my re-birth was to me. Granted, it took place during a great period of personal tribulation, but where I am today is not where I thought I would be as early as last December.

In the beginning (no pun intended), I thought my purpose would be clear and God would instantaneously show me His plans. Since then, I have realized that I have a great deal to learn. I go to church, serve on the church’s security team, attend bible study, try to play a significant roll with the CF, and pray. For the moment, my prayers are mostly for calm seas and wisdom to understand where I am at and where He wants me to go.

Accepting Jesus has changed me, but mostly inward. None of the members of my family are in the same place I am right now, so I am still working on that. My new cloths are not causing any conflicts with my family, but I now see some of their conduct in a different light. I want more, but not sure how to get there from here. It will come, but I know I have some road to cover.

Like my brother bobinfaith, I try to be structured. I am still not “retired,” so I have a 9 to 5 (or a 7 to 3, in my case) work schedule that requires me to wake at 5 and hit the road by 5:45. As a result, my morning payers are a bit short in duration, but sincere in application. Aside from Tuesday, which is bible study night, I try to get in at least an hour of study time a night. This is sometimes easier said than done, as my youngest son, daughter-in-law, and two grand kids are now living with us and peace and quiet is not something I get much of. At one point, I was going through the bible like there was no tomorrow. Now, with the help of some needed guidance, I am taking my time and trying to extract as much meaning as possible from each word. At night is when I like to pray the most with more focus on what I need (guidance).

In the interim, I am confident that God is listening. It appears that at least once a week, He does something to let me know He is paying attention. The last time was about a week ago. I spend at least one-third of my day in my car (going from place to place). After having read a discussion post here (it was a discussion on non-secular music), I recall scanning all the stations in my area (FM and AM), but found none dedicated to faith-based content. Early last week, as I was making my way home, I recall thinking about this again. At the same time, there was a song on the radio and I recognized it as: “Who you say I am.” As it turns out, as I was turning left, I apparently hit the “scan” button on my steering wheel and it stopped at 90.9, which, as it turns out, is: “WLFE … a radio station broadcasting a Contemporary Christian format. Licensed to Cutler Bay, Florida, United States, the station serves Miami-Dade County and the upper Florida Keys. The station is operated by Calvary Chapel Kendall.”

Anyway, I enjoyed reading your message and will contemplate its meaning to me for a while: “Has it produced no marked alteration in your feelings about things? If not, it really does not control you, and this is the secret of why you do not advance.”

rtm3039

Hello netchaplain;

Thank you for posting From Common to Uncommon I always enjoy reading your teachings, Bob.

After reading your thread these thoughts came to me.

After I pray first thing in the morning, I go about my day structured. That's just the way I am. It works and I'm comfortable. I also find times when I'm spontaneous. Whether my life is structured or spontaneous it has to be Christ Centered.

But when idleness diverts my attention, do I think of something to do? For example, instead of deciding to go out, watch a dvd movie, go shopping or turn on the TV, I will take out my Bible and do my daily reading instead of waiting until my structured schedule of study in the later evening.

I judge myself for appearing self righteous, but in truth, I am constantly having to go into prayer to God because I have my own share of issues. I don't feel I have to announce this, but it's true.

I have all the free will to make worldly decisions contrary to Christ, but instead choose to meet the challenge of conforming to Him. I choose to meet the challenge because I am conscious of God's only Begotten Son, and this is a good thing.

I love Jesus so much and am not ashamed to suffer for Him, as He suffered for all of us. But I have to remind myself, this is easier said than done. Am I really following Him more and more daily?

God bless you, Bob, and your family.
Thanks for the input, and God's blessings to you too my Brother!

Netchaplain, this is a fantastic message and I certainly see how applicable it is to me. After over 40 years of claiming “agnosticism” as my religion, I am still amazed how unseen my re-birth was to me. Granted, it took place during a great period of personal tribulation, but where I am today is not where I thought I would be as early as last December.

In the beginning (no pun intended), I thought my purpose would be clear and God would instantaneously show me His plans. Since then, I have realized that I have a great deal to learn. I go to church, serve on the church’s security team, attend bible study, try to play a significant roll with the CF, and pray. For the moment, my prayers are mostly for calm seas and wisdom to understand where I am at and where He wants me to go.

Accepting Jesus has changed me, but mostly inward. None of the members of my family are in the same place I am right now, so I am still working on that. My new cloths are not causing any conflicts with my family, but I now see some of their conduct in a different light. I want more, but not sure how to get there from here. It will come, but I know I have some road to cover.

Like my brother bobinfaith, I try to be structured. I am still not “retired,” so I have a 9 to 5 (or a 7 to 3, in my case) work schedule that requires me to wake at 5 and hit the road by 5:45. As a result, my morning payers are a bit short in duration, but sincere in application. Aside from Tuesday, which is bible study night, I try to get in at least an hour of study time a night. This is sometimes easier said than done, as my youngest son, daughter-in-law, and two grand kids are now living with us and peace and quiet is not something I get much of. At one point, I was going through the bible like there was no tomorrow. Now, with the help of some needed guidance, I am taking my time and trying to extract as much meaning as possible from each word. At night is when I like to pray the most with more focus on what I need (guidance).

In the interim, I am confident that God is listening. It appears that at least once a week, He does something to let me know He is paying attention. The last time was about a week ago. I spend at least one-third of my day in my car (going from place to place). After having read a discussion post here (it was a discussion on non-secular music), I recall scanning all the stations in my area (FM and AM), but found none dedicated to faith-based content. Early last week, as I was making my way home, I recall thinking about this again. At the same time, there was a song on the radio and I recognized it as: “Who you say I am.” As it turns out, as I was turning left, I apparently hit the “scan” button on my steering wheel and it stopped at 90.9, which, as it turns out, is: “WLFE … a radio station broadcasting a Contemporary Christian format. Licensed to Cutler Bay, Florida, United States, the station serves Miami-Dade County and the upper Florida Keys. The station is operated by Calvary Chapel Kendall.”

Anyway, I enjoyed reading your message and will contemplate its meaning to me for a while: “Has it produced no marked alteration in your feelings about things? If not, it really does not control you, and this is the secret of why you do not advance.”

rtm3039
Hi, and thanks for your reply and comments! Looks like your continuing to experience breakthroughs in your Christian walk, and I believe the first and most repetitious lesson God maintains in His training is "patience," because it's where we learn most what it is to trust (believe) Him at His Word. This always takes time, which is the primary means of strengthening our faith in Him--knowing all we encounter is used by Him for building the consistency of our faith!

God's blessings to your Families!

Back