From the Doctor’s Diary-2-A little more sleep......

From the Doctor’s Diary-2-A little more sleep......

A little more sleep; a little more slumber……

The nights were very cold that December. It was natural, my flesh thought, to snuggle under those covers and snore away 6-7 hours.

"Hello! It’s time to prayâ€, the Holy Spirit would gently nudge me in the middle of the night.

Literally, I would drag myself out of bed and pray the classic 45 seconds prayer. The first 15 seconds kneeling on the ground, the next 15 seconds semi reclining and the final 15 seconds would be spent in the ongoing process of dragging me back to bed and onto delightful slumber.

This went on, I guess, for quite a few days and then the Holy Spirit thought it wise to instruct me a bit more firmly than the usual nudge at night.

I woke up one morning seeing an unusual dream. In the dream, I saw myself hugging a dog and holding my face against one side of its velvety body. I seemed to be enjoying this when suddenly; the other side of the dog came into vision. This side was rotten, covered with wounds and stinking.Instantly; I backed off, pushing the dog away.

I realized the Holy Spirit was speaking to me regarding my fondness for sleep. He seemed to be saying,†One side of sleep is good. It gives rest to your tired body and mind. But sleep has another stinking, rotten side which must be kept away from by the believer. It takes away valuable time of prayer and fellowship with the Lord and the results can be disastrous.

Moral
The great preacher Solomon says,†A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man."(Proverbs 6:10, 11)

And how true. Many invaluable blessings maybe lost in that extra nap that we often tend to take.

Back