From The Doctor's Diary- 6 - We Need Grace To Give

From The Doctor's Diary- 6 - We Need Grace To Give

We Need Grace To Give

I had a patient-She was a frail 84 yr.old spinster who walked with a waddling gait and a groan that could be heard at quite a distance. A body ravaged by Diabetes had made her movements very painful and her climb to my first floor consulting would leave her gasping for breath. But she came nevertheless for her monthly Diabetic checkup and also to give me something that she was so regular and particular about.

Amidst groans she would smile and tell me that it was her earnest prayer to God that she may not get bedridden before she died, because there would be no one to look after her if something like that happened.
This time as I gave her advice regarding her sickness, she opened her purse and gave me a 100 Rs.note (around 2$) (not my consulting charges, for I charged her nothing) and said†It’s 50Rs.less than usual, I didn’t get my pension this month, I had to borrow it.â€
You don’t have to; I said, feeling rather disturbed and tried to give it back to her.
“No! Keep it; she insisted, it’s for God’s workâ€
You don’t borrow to give for God’s work, especially when you don’t have money for yourself, I argued.
No amount of coaxing on my part would make her take back the money.
“It’s O.K. The pension will come soon, she smiled and walked away slowly with the prescription and the few medicine samples that I gave her.
I felt rather disturbed that day thinking about her gesture.

To be frank, I have seen quite a few well to do and rich people avoid me thinking I would ask them money for God’s work(though I have never ever asked),but here was a poor old woman giving willingly and out of her poverty.
I remembered the widow’s offering in Mark Ch.12
“Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury (I guess, He must be doing that when we too put the money into the offertory on Sundays) Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins worth only a fraction of a penny. Calling His disciples to Him, Jesus said,†I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth, but she out of her poverty, put in everything, all she had to live on.â€{v.41-44)

Now what would be the cause for an old, frail, sick woman to borrow money to give to God’s work? What’s your guess?

I think it is simple, pure love for Jesus, Don’t you?

Remember, the Apostle Paul writing to the Corinthians about the Macedonian Churches;
“And now brothers, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian Churches. Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege in sharing in this service to the saints. And they did not do so as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with God’s will.â€(2 Corinthians 8:1-5)
A few important points that we can note from this giving by the Macedonian Churches:
1. They did it during a time of severe trial
2. They did it with overflowing joy
3. They gave as much as they were able
4. They gave beyond their ability
5. They considered giving a privilege
6. They gave entirely on their own, not by force/coaxing/cajoling
7. They gave to the Lord and to his servants too.
Perhaps we can check our giving too (point by point.)
I guess I too may fall short regarding one or two points in the above.

The old lady in this story died a few months back. As she had asked of Jesus, she was not bedridden and had a peaceful death.
In my account books that I submit every year I guess no one would have ever noticed or recognized her name or the amount that she gave regularly and not many may have known about this sacrificial act of hers, but the books above are different. They are eternal and this big act of love of hers will never lose its reward from the Master.

Back