Gal 1:10 Pleasing Men

Jan 19, 2014
Pleasing Men

Gal 1:10 Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Some preachers are just too concerned about their popularity to say what needs to be said. But if you examine the rhetoric of Jesus and Paul, among others, you find that they didn't seem to care about issues of popularity. They weren't trying to please people. They didn't seem to care whether what they said would "turn people off" because they knew that those who appreciate the truth would listen.

If your objective is to please people; if your objective is to make people like you; then you're not being a servant of Christ.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

rtm3039

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Feb 5, 2019
Miami, FL
Pleasing Men

Gal 1:10 Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Some preachers are just too concerned about their popularity to say what needs to be said. But if you examine the rhetoric of Jesus and Paul, among others, you find that they didn't seem to care about issues of popularity. They weren't trying to please people. They didn't seem to care whether what they said would "turn people off" because they knew that those who appreciate the truth would listen.

If your objective is to please people; if your objective is to make people like you; then you're not being a servant of Christ.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources
Can it be argued that "The second [great commandment] is this, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these” Mark 12:31 (NRSV) means that pleasing people is, to some extent, also required? Yes, this would be secondary to loving the Lord, but ...

rtm3039

Jan 19, 2014
I would argue that to love others is not the same as to please them. Jesus loved others, and they crucified him for it. To love others on God's terms is not the same as to love others on their own terms.

Reactions: AtomicSnowflake

rtm3039

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Feb 5, 2019
Miami, FL
I would argue that to love others is not the same as to please them. Jesus loved others, and they crucified him for it. To love others on God's terms is not the same as to love others on their own terms.
I get it and understand that. So, let's re-state this. I love my children and this love pleases them. They love me, and that pleases me. My love for God comes first, but there is room in my heart for others. The fellowship of my bible study group also pleases me, because they are part of my church family.

rtm3039

Jan 19, 2014
But sometimes love involves telling people things that may get them upset, turned off, and even so angry that they end up crucifying you. Notice the context:

Gal 1:9,10 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned! Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Reactions: AtomicSnowflake

rtm3039

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Feb 5, 2019
Miami, FL
But sometimes love involves telling people things that may get them upset, turned off, and even so angry that they end up crucifying you. Notice the context:

Gal 1:9,10 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned! Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.
Yes, I totally agree with every word. Pleasing someone must always include the truth and the truth is not always taken well. "Sometimes" is a powerful word and the ultimate test.

Our pastor will often times say the words: "This will sound more like teaching than preaching." Usually, this is code to prepare you to hear something you might not want to hear.

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Yes, I totally agree with every word. Pleasing someone must always include the truth and the truth is not always taken well. "Sometimes" is a powerful word and the ultimate test. Our pastor will often times say the words: "This will sound more like teaching than preaching." Usually, this is code to prepare you to hear something you might not want to hear.
Well said, Ray, and agree with your Pastor's statement.

It is true that some preachers are too concerned about their popularity "rather than saying what needs to be said."

Sadly, these preachers have ulterior motives and surprisingly, 9 times out of 10 they do not have accountability with seasoned ministers.

In my fellowship with pastors we all agree its especially important that today's preachers, pastors and teachers constantly do a self check with God regarding their calling and should always have at least 2 or more accountability mentors, be it other pastors, former seminary professors and the like.

I'm very grateful to my ministry mentors who hold me accountable, weekly. They correct and encourage me, especially with the mistakes I made last week. Tough week with people relationships but I had to take responsibility.

This verb and context in Pleasing Men is aligned with the Scripture in Galatians 1:10

The love of God first, pleasing Him first, as we deliver His message is distinctive from our love and pleasing others, both are wonderful teachings yet two separate contexts in Scripture.

The other context is when we desire to please others as a blessing and serving others. Hebrews 6:10, 10 For God is not unjust so as to overlook your work and the love that you have shown for his name in serving the saints, as you still do.

God doesn't overlook when we serve and bless others, in His Name, is indeed pleasing.

When I spend quality time rubbing my wife's back, listening to her or taking her to the hospital lab pleases her. It pleases me to bless her, to serve her.

When our 99 year old member arrives at church with her daughter, we enjoy helping our elderly sister in her wheelchair and bringing her in the church. She expresses her pleasure from the help of others and the brother or sister who helps her that given Sunday gives glory to God.

Steve, thank you for sharing Pleasing Men.