Gal 6:6 An Attitude Supporting Spiritual Authorities

Jan 19, 2014
Attitude towards Authority
An Attitude of Support Spiritual Authorities

Gal 6:6
Anyone who receives instruction in the word must share all good things with his instructor.

What Paul might be alluding to here is the idea of providing instructors with some kind of financial compensation. A couple of times in scripture he invoked Deut 25:4 to support this principle, and also mentioned of the "Lord's command" with respect to this idea.

1Co 9:9-14 For it is written in the Law of Moses: "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain." (Deut 25:4) Is it about oxen that God is concerned? Surely he says this for us, doesn’t he? Yes, this was written for us, because when the plowman plows and the thresher threshes, they ought to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest. If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you? If others have this right of support from you, shouldn’t we have it all the more? But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ. Don’t you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

Though he taught this principle, Paul and Barnabus did not actually exercise their right for financial compensation as it may have hindered the gospel in doing so. He also mentions this principle in 1Tim with regards to church elders.

1Tim 5:17,18 The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching For the Scripture says, "Do not muzzle the ox while it is treading out the grain," and "The worker deserves his wages." (Deut 25:4)

The double honor being respect and financial compensation.

As for us at the Berean Christian Bible Study Resources, we follow Paul's example and do not exercise this right. And we encourage fellow teachers and preachers of the Word to follow Paul's example so that they can speak as Paul did to the elders in Acts 20 saying, "I have not coveted anyone’s silver or gold or clothing. You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions. In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’" Acts 20:33-35
The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources