Give Up Smoking Yet?

Did you give up smoking?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Okay people, so quite a while ago I gave up smoking.

Anyone else managed to do this?

(See poll, also.)

BTW, I don't think this is particularly a 'theological' issue; simply it's a good idea to give up.

Blessings.

Why is proven self-destruction not a "theological" issue?

To state it like this is to say: I have my opinion and no one else's counts. (Even though the Bible doesn't actually mention smoking.)

Thanks for your vote and comment.

I've never smoked at all, mostly because I saw what my father went through when he quit. He didn't have the motivation to quit until he became a Christian, and he wanted to give it up as a symbol that he wouldn't be mastered by or enslaved to anything in this world.

I've never smoked at all, mostly because I saw what my father went through when he quit. He didn't have the motivation to quit until he became a Christian, and he wanted to give it up as a symbol that he wouldn't be mastered by or enslaved to anything in this world.

I'm sure there is a strong case not to start at all. (Whether I would regard it as some norm for 'correct' orthodoxy is debatable, but it's good when folk don't even start, I'm sure.)

Thanks a lot for your comment.

No it isn't! Please try not attacking with personal jabs like this.

I just asked how is NOT a theological issue...The Bible doesn't mention many itemized poisons, this one not even know about in the Bible era, as it was a New World drug.

But the Bible is clear about respecting your health: or is that just "my opinion"?

Well, again, you're strongly presenting things as being beyond your own opinion and binding on others. Mind you, chapter and verse from the Bible is good.

You know, my thing about Fundamentalists is that there is often a mindset whereby the only people who are actually tolerated are those who are like them culturally.

In fact I have lived in countries where many evangelical Christians routinely smoke. I don't necessarily like the idea, but there it is. But I don't believe in foisting Anglophone North American cultural assumptions upon the consciences of people who maybe have never even been to North America, and demanding that their orthodoxy be established according to other people's cultural customs.

This is what I meant about it not being a 'theological' issue in my humble view.

Blessings.

I smoked for 20 years; never used nicotine gum, patches or any such crutches in order to quit.

If one is serious about quitting get the facts: Ever wonder where the big Pharm company gets their nicotine? Right! From the tobacco companies! And the "quitting aids" don't work for many, cost as much or more then cigs, and ...well..the tobacco companies win one way or another....

Study this about the "successes" of patches, gum, etc vs. cold turkey:

http://whyquit.com/pr/110210.html

Glad you managed to quit, Rusty.

Actually: I didn't "manage" it. The Lord showed my how to do it and it worked.
It's about co-operating with the Lord, not will power, chemical crutches, or mind control.
It just takes faith in the fact that He who made us, can show us how to detox.

I'm glad it happened, by God's grace. Blessings.

Back