Godparents

Are you a Godparent? Godmother (or Godfather?)
Do you look after children who aren't your own biologically but treat them as your own? Let's share our stories, tips, and encouraging scripture.

Matthew 12:46-50

King James Version

46 While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.
47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew 12&version=KJV

One lady who I consider one of my Godparents or Godmothers passed away. I heard yesterday. She was a Bible teacher in schools. She always prayed for me when I came to help the teachers with their classes. (Although I don't know if I helped THAT much, but I did sit in their lessons under the guise of helper, when really I was learning along with the children!)

She was one of my Bible mothers as my own mother never taught me Bible and women didn't preach or teach in churches, it was always men, (although that's changed now), so I could only really be 'mothered' there, although I did join some womens groups with older/elder ladies, with the younger women we mostly 'sistered' each other.

This is important I think for daughters to have a Godparent praying for them. Specially a first generation Christian. I know God answered her prayers when she interceded for me in a way that He couldn't answer my own faltering, and perhaps selfish prayers.

Christian that are third generation and second generation christians (parents and grandparents both christians and have never known when they weren't) are blessed.

Are you a Godparent? Godmother (or Godfather?)
Do you look after children who aren't your own biologically but treat them as your own? Let's share our stories, tips, and encouraging scripture.

Matthew 12:46-50​

King James Version​

46 While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.
47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew 12&version=KJV
I am a step-dad, I guess that counts.

Rtm

Hello Lanolin;

We are Godparents. I did a Christening for our niece when she was an infant. Per her parent's request, we were chosen along with others to be her Godparents. But days prior to the worship service I emphasized to everyone that we don't "play the title", water baptism to an infant and the code of Canon Law as is practiced in Catholicism.

Our commitment to the parents is to support them in the Christian rearing of their daughter. We treat her as our own, so to speak, by nurturing our niece's faith in the home, in Church, when we take turns picking her up from summer school, taking her to amusement parks, and every area of her life without undermining her parents.

Today she is 6 years old and only addresses us as Aunt and Uncle. Her parents are my wife's younger brother and his wife.

The Scripture that we live by as Godparents is in Deuteronomy 6:5-9, 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. - ESV

She is the youngest in our immediate family. She is a spoiled little brat and loves to argue with me. lol!

But praise God, she is an adorable little girl who carries the confidence from her parents in rearing her in Christian faith. When she talks with everyone she gives direct eye contact.

God bless you, Lanolin and thank you for sharing this topic.

Back