God's most stubborn enemy!

God's most stubborn enemy

(Jonathan Edwards, "Spiritual Pride")

"I hate pride and arrogance!" Proverbs 8:13

"The Lord detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished." Proverbs 16:5

Pride is the first sin that ever entered into the universe, and the last sin that is rooted out.

Pride is the worst sin. It is the most secret of all sins. There is no other matter in which the heart is more deceitful and unsearchable. Alas, how much pride the best have in their hearts!

Pride is God's most stubborn enemy. There is no sin so much like the devil as pride. It is a secret and subtle sin, and appears in a great many shapes which are undetected and unsuspected.

As a follower of Christ, I will humbly confess, that this selfish, and self-deceptive area of Pride,
is my greatest battle to overcome at this moment in my life!

Some, however, of Zion's watchmen, and no one more than the writer of the work before us, have lifted up her veil, found out her real character, and, having first branded her on the forehead, "SPIRITUAL PRIDE," have labored hard, though hitherto ineffectually, to cast her out of the congregation of the saints.

Some are proud of their knowledge, others of their ignorance; some of their consistency, others of their freedom from all tight restraints; some of their gifts, others of their very graces; some of their ready speech, others of their prudent silence; some of their long profession, others of their deep experience; some of their Pharisaic righteousness.

"Before his downfall a man's heart is proud, but humility comes before honor." Proverbs 18:12

2. Those are proud, who have high opinions of themselves, and are fond of human applause. Even the wicked proclaim their own goodness; they tell us they mean well--that their hearts are good, as if the tree could be good, and the fruit bad; the fountain pure, and the streams denied. Then they boast of their liberality, etc., though we often find this combined with sensuality, and even made an excuse for it.

Pride characterized the Pharisees of old. They dearly loved human applause. If they fasted, they disfigured their faces, to convince men that they really fasted. When they prayed, they stood at the corner of the streets that they might be seen by people coming two ways. When they gave alms, they sounded a trumpet before them. They trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others. Just observe one of them, Luke 18:10-12.

In the days of Solomon, there was a whole generation of such characters, Proverbs 30:12, 13. The Apostle Paul himself was once one of them, Romans 7:9; and this spirit infested the Church at Laodicea, Revelation 3:17-18.

3. This evil sometimes besets Christians themselves. Instance Peter when he said, "Though all men, you--I never will!" Did not presumption lead to the denial of his Lord, and bitter repentance? When the seventy disciples returned from their mission, through the land of Judea, they said, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us!" etc, Luke 10:17-20. They acknowledge the agency to be his, but they were unduly elated at being the instruments. Christians may talk too much about themselves. "Let another praise you, and not your own lips."

In the Christian, this pride may exhibit itself,

(1.) In the pride of wealth, or superior circumstances in life. This may lead to the neglect of the poor of God's flock. Wealth, when sanctified, will prove a blessing to the Redeemer's cause. Christians are emphatically cautioned not to pay undue respect to the rich. See James 2:1, etc.

(2.) In the pride of talent. If a man has superior knowledge, discernment, eloquent speech, etc., he is in danger of being puffed up. The voice of commendation may often sound in his ears, and Satan will not fail to insinuate that he is highly gifted, etc. Hence it requires much grace to avoid pride. See 1 Corinthians 8:1-2.

All gifts come from God, 1 Corinthians 12:4, etc. Where is boasting then? It is excluded. Though Paul preached successfully, he had nothing to glory of, 1 Corinthians 9:16; and estimated himself as "nothing," 1 Corinthians 12:11.

(3.) In the pride of usefulness. Here a man is in danger of attributing too much to himself, instead of ascribing the whole of his success to God, who alone can give the increase, 1 Corinthians 3:6-7. Therefore, be not like the Pharisees of old, boasting of what you are, of what you do, or of what you give.

Pride cannot live beneath the cross!
(Charles Spurgeon)

"He humbled Himself." Philippians 2:8

Jesus is the great teacher of lowliness of heart. We need daily to learn of Him.

See the Master taking a basin and towel to wash His disciple's feet!
Follower of Christ, will you not humble yourself?
See Him as the Servant of servants—and surely you cannot be proud!

While on earth, He was always stripping off first one robe of honor and then another—until He was fastened to the bloody tree. And there He emptied out His inmost self, pouring out His life-blood, giving up His all for us—until they laid Him penniless in a borrowed grave!

How low was our dear Redeemer brought! How then can we be proud?

Stand at the foot of the cruel cross, and count the purple drops by which you have been cleansed of your infinite sins! See the thorn-crown; mark His scourged shoulders, still gushing with encrimsoned rills. See His hands and feet given up to the rough iron, and His whole self to mockery and scorn. See the bitterness, and the pangs, and the throes of inward grief, showing themselves in His outward frame. Hear the horrid shriek: "My God, my God, why have You forsaken Me!"

If you do not lie prostrate on the ground before that cross—you have never seen it!
If you are not humbled in the presence of the dying Jesus—you do not know Him.

You were so lost that nothing could save you—but the sacrifice of God's only begotten Son.
Think of that, and as Jesus stooped for you—bow yourself in lowliness at His feet.

A sense of Christ's amazing love to us—has a greater tendency to humble us than even a consciousness of our own guilt!

May the Lord bring us in contemplation, to Calvary—and then we will no longer think of ourselves with pompous pride. We shall then take the humble place of one who loves much, because much has been forgiven. Pride cannot live beneath the cross!

Is there anyone here who would like to join with me on bended knees, and let our Pharasitical Pride
be crucified while we hold on in sincerity to the foot of the cross?

images (11).jpg

Back