GS: God is Just

Jan 19, 2014
God is Just

Biblical justice is not the same as fairness. That is, while God distributes resources unequally, that distribution is not a matter of justice, but rather a matter of grace. "Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?" Mt 20:15 In contrast, Biblical justice has to do with recompensing evil, not with equal distribution of resources.

There are two arms of Biblical justice. One is punishing evil, and the other is compensating victims of unjustified suffering. For example,

2Th 1:6,7a "God is just:

• He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you
  • and give relief to you who are troubled"
The thief on the cross also provides us with both cases, who said, "We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man (Jesus) has done nothing wrong." Luke 23:41 While the thief was being punished justly, Jesus was a innocent victim of unjustified suffering. And fortunate for us that he was. For with the just compensation God provided him for his unjustified suffering he paid off our debt. The Law of Moses also accommodates the poor and needy to a degree, in that such circumstances are largely not the fault of the individual, and thus such people are to some extent suffering unjustly.

Justice is firstly unprejudiced. That is, it is impartial. "Do not pervert justice; do not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great, but judge your neighbor fairly." Lev 19:15 God's justice is without prejudice. For example: It is unjust to reckon someone guilty of crimes which you know they haven't actually committed. That should be obvious to everyone. It is unjust to punish someone for the crimes committed by another person. "Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their fathers; each is to die for his own sin." Deut 24:16 It is an act of injustice to punish those for crimes they hadn't actually committed. Worse yet, there are those who blaspheme, claiming that God Himself does such things. And even worst than that, many such people actually have put their faith in such a god they have fabricated for themselves, condoning such injustice.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

Reactions: Major
Sep 3, 2009
Florida
God is Just

Biblical justice is not the same as fairness. That is, while God distributes resources unequally, that distribution is not a matter of justice, but rather a matter of grace. "Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?" Mt 20:15 In contrast, Biblical justice has to do with recompensing evil, not with equal distribution of resources.

There are two arms of Biblical justice. One is punishing evil, and the other is compensating victims of unjustified suffering. For example,

2Th 1:6,7a "God is just:

• He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you
  • and give relief to you who are troubled"
The thief on the cross also provides us with both cases, who said, "We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man (Jesus) has done nothing wrong." Luke 23:41 While the thief was being punished justly, Jesus was a innocent victim of unjustified suffering. And fortunate for us that he was. For with the just compensation God provided him for his unjustified suffering he paid off our debt. The Law of Moses also accommodates the poor and needy to a degree, in that such circumstances are largely not the fault of the individual, and thus such people are to some extent suffering unjustly.

Justice is firstly unprejudiced. That is, it is impartial. "Do not pervert justice; do not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great, but judge your neighbor fairly." Lev 19:15 God's justice is without prejudice. For example: It is unjust to reckon someone guilty of crimes which you know they haven't actually committed. That should be obvious to everyone. It is unjust to punish someone for the crimes committed by another person. "Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their fathers; each is to die for his own sin." Deut 24:16 It is an act of injustice to punish those for crimes they hadn't actually committed. Worse yet, there are those who blaspheme, claiming that God Himself does such things. And even worst than that, many such people actually have put their faith in such a god they have fabricated for themselves, condoning such injustice.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources
Agreed.

Also good to understand that God judges the lost but He disciplines His children.

You said...……..
" It is unjust to punish someone for the crimes committed by another person."

That is an interesting thought. Do you remember Achan in 1 Samuel? He disobeyed God and stole from God but God had his entire family killed.

God commanded that Achan and his entire family and all his possessions be destroyed, a punishment that seems overly harsh to us today. How are we to understand this dire act of God?

God did that because his family KNEW what he had done but said nothing thus agreeing with his sin. He buried his stolen in the middle of the family tent!

Proverbs 28:13...…….
"Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy. "