GS: The Law, Good Enough?

Jan 19, 2014
The Law , Good Enough?

Is salvation is contingent upon one's compliance to a set of regulations? On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?" He answered: "’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’" "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live." Lk 10:25-28 Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?" "Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments." Mt 9:16,17

But good is not good enough if you're not good continuously. Paul writes, "All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: 'Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.'" Gal 3:10 and he also writes, "To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life." Rom 2:7 But if you fail to continuously persist in doing good, you sin. And no amount of your goodness, no amount of compliance with the principles or regulations of the Law, will atone for your sin. So if you don't do anything wrong, you will have eternal life. But what of those who have sinned?

Paul writes, "Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners— of whom I am the worst." 1Tim1:15 If you're a good person, Jesus didn't come to save you. For you need not be saved, having never been lost. But there are multitudes who delude themselves into thinking that they are good, but they are sinners. And you may be one of them. Who were Jesus' worst enemies. Were they not the religious elite of his day, who reckoned themselves righteous. Such has been the case throughout history. The religious elite have characteristically been the most hostile towards God. If Jesus came today as he did back them, would you end up crucifying him? In John 7:7 Jesus said to his own brothers, "The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that what it does is evil."

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

Reactions: Major
Sep 3, 2009
Florida
The Law , Good Enough?

Is salvation is contingent upon one's compliance to a set of regulations? On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?" He answered: "’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’" "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live." Lk 10:25-28 Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?" "Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments." Mt 9:16,17

But good is not good enough if you're not good continuously. Paul writes, "All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: 'Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.'" Gal 3:10 and he also writes, "To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life." Rom 2:7 But if you fail to continuously persist in doing good, you sin. And no amount of your goodness, no amount of compliance with the principles or regulations of the Law, will atone for your sin. So if you don't do anything wrong, you will have eternal life. But what of those who have sinned?

Paul writes, "Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners— of whom I am the worst." 1Tim1:15 If you're a good person, Jesus didn't come to save you. For you need not be saved, having never been lost. But there are multitudes who delude themselves into thinking that they are good, but they are sinners. And you may be one of them. Who were Jesus' worst enemies. Were they not the religious elite of his day, who reckoned themselves righteous. Such has been the case throughout history. The religious elite have characteristically been the most hostile towards God. If Jesus came today as he did back them, would you end up crucifying him? In John 7:7 Jesus said to his own brothers, "The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that what it does is evil."

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources
If keeping the Law saves us, then heaven will be a very lonely place.

Steve....I for one want to thank you for posting the "Doctrines" of God for all to read. PLEASE keep up the good work you are doing my brother!!!!!