Guarding the Heart

Hello Via dolarossa,

Never trust me myself but always trust Jesus Christ ~ Proverbs are good for wisdom but sometimes it can it be dangerous for a reason if you start reading scriptures and you start looking at others in disgust. For if the heart itself becomes corrupted and looks others with harsh judgements more issues in life will come about

~ Especially at looking from the Lord Jesus Christ perspective -

Others will become harder to love if you are not looking in and at your own heart. (Use to be really harshly judgmental towards others, personally as a Christian with a hard-heart)

20 He went on: “What comes out of a person is what defiles them. 21 For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, 22 adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. 23 All these evils come from inside and defile a person.”​

This is what Jesus Christ says lies with-in our heart.

Here is scripture from 1 John about Love.

7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. 10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.​
13 By this we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. 14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. 16 So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. 17 By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world. 18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. 19 We love because he first loved us. 20 If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot[a] love God whom he has not seen. 21 And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.​

What you do with this information is totally up to you.

Did you know the bible hard to read sometimes because our flesh doesn't care to read it but however our spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.​

Jesus Christ is always willing to give us love and support.
God is always ready to give us comfort even through difficult times.

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5 For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.[a]​

Here is one more scripture about How God gives us a spirit and a new heart.

Ezekiel 36:26 And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart.​

Thank you for sharing the scripture from Proverbs, and the topic.

I am currently reading proverbs. I may need some help in understanding how to put some of these scriptures into practice.

so how do we guard our heart?

and what does the bible mean when it speaks of issues coming from it?

Proverbs 4;23
Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. KJV

Hello Via;

In Proverbs 4:23, 23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. - KJV

During my prayer time there are areas I express to the Lord about keeping my heart, 1) trusting the Lord and 2) sustaining wisdom.
This follows with guarding my heart against the way of the wicked.

This verse alone opens a good conversation with the Lord and I'm blessed to know you are aware of this in your daily walk.

God bless you, Via, and your family.

I am currently reading proverbs. I may need some help in understanding how to put some of these scriptures into practice.

The hear is our inner being, the heart of our new life in Christ where God resides. Like bobinfaith said we must guard it from wickedness and put on the armor of God specifically the breastplate of righteousness which protects our heart that inner being.

Proverbs 4;23

These issues are our thoughts, conversation and actions. In a right spirit we are led to do God's will as our heart and mind are focused on God, trusting God and acting on the love and faith that God has graced us with.

The hear is our inner being, the heart of our new life in Christ where God resides. Like bobinfaith said we must guard it from wickedness and put on the armor of God specifically the breastplate of righteousness which protects our heart that inner being.

These issues are our thoughts, conversation and actions. In a right spirit we are led to do God's will as our heart and mind are focused on God, trusting God and acting on the love and faith that God has graced us with.

Hello Chuck;

I like how you mention inner being which Christ is ever working. Isn't this where we are warned and kept watch?

Bobinfaith

It’s about daily relationship and communicating with God, that helps a person daily. Spent a lot of time reading the New Testament. My understanding is differed than most because believe everything in the Bible is fulfilled. It changes a lot for people to see it this way.

There as so many encouragements that come from God and Jesus and also Paul, John, James, who ever else along with wisdom and guidance.

Reading the Bible in itself is a huge way to gain knowledge. With more knowledge comes more grief, it’s worth it though, the spirit reminds me of a lot because of the time it took going through the Bible, but so do others depending on the topic.

mainly New Testament

Thank God none of us are robots.

Bobinfaith

It’s about daily relationship and communicating with God, that helps a person daily. Spent a lot of time reading the New Testament. My understanding is differed than most because believe everything in the Bible is fulfilled. It changes a lot for people to see it this way.

There as so many encouragements that come from God and Jesus and also Paul, John, James, who ever else along with wisdom and guidance.

Reading the Bible in itself is a huge way to gain knowledge. With more knowledge comes more grief, it’s worth it though, the spirit reminds me of a lot because of the time it took going through the Bible, but so do others depending on the topic.

Thank God none of us are robots.

For me when I read the Bible, there is greater understanding, but it doesn't bring more grief in my experience. I find greater hope in God's words, greater understanding in how to apply what God is instructing me to do, greater understanding of God's will in my life, guideposts in my walk on this narrow path God has put me on.

I see the Bible as God actually speaking to me personally. After all without God's Holy Spirit I realize there can be no proper understanding of God's word, so I find myself thankful for the understanding that God has given and praying for clarity in the areas not understood fully yet.

That is good you have a perspective like that, I’m the Bible it says maybe in proverbs or maybe Ecclesiasticus about how more knowledge can cause grief. But what you are mentioning about learning about God; rings true Perkins, absolutely.

the thing also Perkins ;God isn’t just try to speak to you, he is trying to speak to others to, that might be a problem I have sometimes people think it’s just about them but it’s about others to CPerkins

Last edited:
That is good you have a perspective like that, I’m the Bible it says maybe in proverbs or maybe Ecclesiasticus about how more knowledge can cause grief. But what you are mentioning about learning about God; rings true Perkins, absolutely.

the thing also Perkins ;God isn’t just try to speak to you, he is trying to speak to others to, that might be a problem I have sometimes people think it’s just about them but it’s about others to CPerkins

There is a difference in knowledge that puffs up and in knowledge that builds up or edifies. Greater understanding of spiritual things tends to build us up so that we can build others up around us. It also is a matter of the intents of one's heart. I believe that God is working in me to create a new man and that new man seeks to grow in Christ and to be able to grow in love and faith.

God's word speaks to everyone, I agree. I choose to see God as speaking directly to me through his words as well. The Spirit in me leads me to do this and I trust God.

Alright; I understand that now that you make it more clear. (My post are long because really enjoy teaching at-least from the understanding God has made known to me.)

Though you know from my experience when was reading the word of God as though it was speaking to me when it came down to reading the Lord Jesus Christ and his words -for some reason it made me more meaner.

Do not know why but when someone mentioned.

Hey, the Lord Jesus Christ is not speaking to me but rather the people back then at that time, and the disciples had specific commands to follow by what they were told to do by the Lord Jesus Christ.

It really lifts a burden off of you and gives you now as a believer freedom to walk by the spirit.

Thank you for your comment and clearing that up. Sometimes still in my flesh can be arrogant; been on the internet a long time, and still judge sometimes but should not do that when reading the words of others and just let it be as it is.

You are right about the knowledge puffs up - you can always go to a forum and share and people either like you or hate you. That will be going on through the entirety of life. Some people will approve some people will disapprove and a long the way we make mistakes that we did and we have to keep moving forward even if someone doesn't forgive you, because we have to look towards God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

(It goes the same way in real life) There will people that will approve of you or look down on you.

What matters is what God sees in your heart! Sometimes we need to shine a light and check it out sometimes and make sure everything is okay - by using scriptures.

And as followers of the Lord we should seek the will of God for us in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Here are a few scriptures that come to mind:

Matthew 6:14 For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive yours.
1 Thess 5: 14 And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15 Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else.
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

When it comes down to warning a person who is idle and disruptive it is always in a gentle manner by the holy spirit.

No one in this life is perfect that is for sure, nothing we can 'try and do for God' can ever get God to approve of us.

It will forever be the holy spirit/spirit of Christ -> God and the Lord Jesus Christ through you that allows that work to be done in trusting and having faith in them :

Even through persecution, judgement, despitefully use you.
Matthew 5: 43You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor’ and ‘Hate your enemy.’ 44But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
Enjoy the rest of your morning/night.

Thank you for bearing with me, and to all here. Everyone here has a purpose and are important in this life and are all most certainly loved by God -

Even if they may disapprove of you sometimes, or may look down on you, it is all part of suffering for Christ -> Also it is a learning experience of what is right and what is wrong in God's view -> when it comes to living by the spirit.

Faith and love is the goal. Love towards God, and love towards other and not hatred.

Thank you CPerkins

Alright; I understand that now that you make it more clear. (My post are long because really enjoy teaching at-least from the understanding God has made known to me.)

Though you know from my experience when was reading the word of God as though it was speaking to me when it came down to reading the Lord Jesus Christ and his words -for some reason it made me more meaner.

Do not know why but when someone mentioned.

Hey, the Lord Jesus Christ is not speaking to me but rather the people back then at that time, and the disciples had specific commands to follow by what they were told to do by the Lord Jesus Christ.

It really lifts a burden off of you and gives you now as a believer freedom to walk by the spirit.

Thank you for your comment and clearing that up. Sometimes still in my flesh can be arrogant; been on the internet a long time, and still judge sometimes but should not do that when reading the words of others and just let it be as it is.

You are right about the knowledge puffs up - you can always go to a forum and share and people either like you or hate you. That will be going on through the entirety of life. Some people will approve some people will disapprove and a long the way we make mistakes that we did and we have to keep moving forward even if someone doesn't forgive you, because we have to look towards God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

(It goes the same way in real life) There will people that will approve of you or look down on you.

What matters is what God sees in your heart! Sometimes we need to shine a light and check it out sometimes and make sure everything is okay - by using scriptures.

And as followers of the Lord we should seek the will of God for us in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Here are a few scriptures that come to mind:

Matthew 6:14 For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive yours.
1 Thess 5: 14 And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15 Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else.
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

When it comes down to warning a person who is idle and disruptive it is always in a gentle manner by the holy spirit.

No one in this life is perfect that is for sure, nothing we can 'try and do for God' can ever get God to approve of us.

It will forever be the holy spirit/spirit of Christ -> God and the Lord Jesus Christ through you that allows that work to be done in trusting and having faith in them :

Even through persecution, judgement, despitefully use you.
Matthew 5: 43You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor’ and ‘Hate your enemy.’ 44But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
Enjoy the rest of your morning/night.

Thank you for bearing with me, and to all here. Everyone here has a purpose and are important in this life and are all most certainly loved by God -

Even if they may disapprove of you sometimes, or may look down on you, it is all part of suffering for Christ -> Also it is a learning experience of what is right and what is wrong in God's view -> when it comes to living by the spirit.

Faith and love is the goal. Love towards God, and love towards other and not hatred.

Thank you CPerkins
Hi Matthew.
I know you enjoy teaching and helping others, and I think that’s a blessing. but I only have so much time to read. I enjoy our fellowships here and everyone else’s and their understandings of the bible verses. I work nearly 50 hours a week and don’t get much time for bible study.
I sometimes have to skip to shorter posts to get the gist of things.
I wish I could read forever, but alas, I can’t🙁
So if you could condense your posts a little, I could read them all.
Thankyou❤️

Proverbs 4;23
It's a fine line to navigate especially when coupled with such verses as ...

Jeremiah 17:9 (KJV) The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

It takes the One who is greater and knows our hearts to guard it.

This may help...

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV) Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

It's a fine line to navigate especially when coupled with such verses as ...

Jeremiah 17:9 (KJV) The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

It takes the One who is greater and knows our hearts to guard it.

This may help...

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV) Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Thanks.
And, what are we to guard our hearts from?

Back