Haiku on Haiku

Some of us are poetically challenged. It is fascinating to then see others twist words and make them march in formation. For some the hidden meanings behind words are also easier to pick out in poetry.

Here I read of 17 pebbles moved by tide waters. In my mind I see pebbles being polished slowly at each turn of the tide, day in and day out. Carried away by the waters because they are to light and so subject to these unceasing tide actions.

I am normally pretty rubbish at writing poetry. I don’t even know what haiku is, except it is a form of eastern poetry. But when I put my mind to it, I think poetry is really good for developing our minds and brains and imagination. Vividly imagining a scene by a poet and then seeing how it makes me feel or what it is trying to say can have a refreshing effect and connection to life and what the poet says.. Even if some poetry is dark. We all have dark feelings.

17 Peebles being moved on tidal water unhinged suggests that the 17 is the amount of syllables ( pebbles) in the haiku. It is also thought that the ocean represents life and our thought/ emotins in constant flux and so we have a gathering if 17 syllables always coming and going and never fixed and buoyantly moving and changing with our life and times.

There are lessons that can be learned by these images that are painted. In many ways people are much like these pebbles easily tossed by the tidal actions of life especially before God's calling. God is a rock wherein we can rest and have anchor. Only when God brings us to him are we safe from the tidal forces found in the world.

Some of us are poetically challenged. It is fascinating to then see others twist words and make them march in formation. For some the hidden meanings behind words are also easier to pick out in poetry.

Here I read of 17 pebbles moved by tide waters. In my mind I see pebbles being polished slowly at each turn of the tide, day in and day out. Carried away by the waters because they are to light and so subject to these unceasing tide actions.
What little I have read of Haiku, they are like snapshots of nature with no hidden meaning, they have always struck me as anchorless when it comes to Truth..
As far as 17 pebbles go, as Via pointed out, it is simply the number of syllables found in Haiku…5+7+5.

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing out the technical meaning of this form of poetry. There is a great deal that I don't know about poetry. While I enjoy math counting syllables has never been a strong suit of mine.

Back