Have You Ever Volunteered for a Good Cause?

Volunteered?

• YES

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Loneliness is often overlooked until one experiences it for themselves.

I'm so sure that is true. I haven't really experienced loneliness myself, but I did go through a long period where I missed my ex-wife.

We truly do learn empathy when we have gone through trying circumstances especially if God was with us. Trials are not a joy at the time, but the fruit that God produces and his grace makes it valuable later.

cp

I spent 6 yrs volunteering for the St. Vincent de Paul Society providing the needy with beds, food and clothing. The former President of my area had passed on to the Lord's kingdom and had only 3 volunteers at the time. (a lovely and dedicated fellow by the way). I took on the task of trying to fill his shoes but requested more volunteers to assist me. Lo and behold, I got 10 more volunteers in one day--Praise God.

During my working years, I would volunteer for short duration things like helping with vacation Bible study, or helping with church maintenance etc.

When my job came to an end, I began working in my community. I sorted food at the food bank, I wheeled patients around at a hospital, etc.

After my experience with cancer, I became active in the local ostomy support group. We ran a product sharing activity (the group still does) and raised money to sponsor young ostomates to attend a special camp designed for their special needs (Youth Rally). I was a certified Ostomy support visitor and talked with several persons faced with surgery.

I have since moved away from that area. I have tried to volunteer around my new home. I filled out applications with the local hospital (twice) but haven't heard anything.

Covid is hindering many in person opportunities. There are various ministries at the church I attend like assembling tracts, but I haven't availed myself of them as yet.

Wow! A big thanks for your volunteer work. Wish I had known you way back when I had my colostomy done. Hard to believe that it has been a permanent one for me--all of 45 yrs. now.

I've done loads of things, especially when I was unemployed. Worked in two op shops.
I still volunteer in the community garden.
Last year I was meant to help collect for the Hospice but the spaces got filled so I didn't get to do it. Some of the ladies in the flower circle I'm a part of do flowers for Hospice, make posies etc and bake for meals on wheels.

I think if I had the time again I would do that.
I look after pop up libraries in the community as well. I do the church library too.

I've done loads of things, especially when I was unemployed. Worked in two op shops.
I still volunteer in the community garden.
Last year I was meant to help collect for the Hospice but the spaces got filled so I didn't get to do it. Some of the ladies in the flower circle I'm a part of do flowers for Hospice, make posies etc and bake for meals on wheels.

I think if I had the time again I would do that.
I look after pop up libraries in the community as well. I do the church library too.
God bless you for sharing your God-given talents with others Lanolin.

Just a side note: It’s pretty hard for me to volunteer as I’m working nearly 50 hours a week at the moment.

but if I could volunteer to do anything: I would love to work with children or animals. Especially abroad where you get to see their cultures and habitats.
of course, some of these charities expect you to pay for the opportunity these days, which then doesn't seem like charity to me.

Just a side note: It’s pretty hard for me to volunteer as I’m working nearly 50 hours a week at the moment.

but if I could volunteer to do anything: I would love to work with children or animals. Especially abroad where you get to see their cultures and habitats.
of course, some of these charities expect you to pay for the opportunity these days, which then doesn't seem like charity to me.

Charities have been hit hard by this virus as well. It is not uncommon for them to ask a volunteer to pay for their own expenses. Are you saying some charities are asking people to pay for more than their expenses?

cp

Charities have been hit hard by this virus as well. It is not uncommon for them to ask a volunteer to pay for their own expenses. Are you saying some charities are asking people to pay for more than their expenses?

cp
It was way before the virus. I was looking at going a few years ago.
Some charities were asking for payment
For flights as well.

I understand they can’t provide everything.
But some people just can’t afford to pay everything. I can see how they would charge it like a working holiday which would benefit all involved.

It was way before the virus. I was looking at going a few years ago.
Some charities were asking for payment
For flights as well.

I understand they can’t provide everything.
But some people just can’t afford to pay everything. I can see how they would charge it like a working holiday which would benefit all involved.

There are also some charities that are actually more about making money than charity. It's a shame because the many honest charities sometimes get tarnished by this. Like so many things these days it's important to get to know what you can about a charity before getting involved.

I came across charities as an accountant that I knew paid top level administration well and hired volunteers for much of the work. Some of it makes sense and some not so much. So do your research and ask questions. Sometimes they will sponsor travel and pay some other expenses a lot depends on the type of charity, there funding and sometimes even donations received require the funds to be only used in a certain manner.

cp

I spent 6 yrs volunteering for the St. Vincent de Paul Society providing the needy with beds, food and clothing. The former President of my area had passed on to the Lord's kingdom and had only 3 volunteers at the time. (a lovely and dedicated fellow by the way). I took on the task of trying to fill his shoes but requested more volunteers to assist me. Lo and behold, I got 10 more volunteers in one day--Praise God.

Hello Blest;

This is good to know of your volunteer services. Did you know Father Joe Carroll from St. Vincent de Paul in San Diego? He did remarkable work for the poor and housing at that time and served from 1980 to 2011.

My first volunteer service was when I was 17, being a Little League manager for 6 years in San Diego. The boy's age groups were mostly 13-15 and my last year the kids were 6-7. In those days most of the kids had both their parents attend the games. When some of the boys became young adults I ran into them from time to time and they still called me "coach."

lol!

Hello Blest;

This is good to know of your volunteer services. Did you know Father Joe Carroll from St. Vincent de Paul in San Diego? He did remarkable work for the poor and housing at that time and served from 1980 to 2011.

My first volunteer service was when I was 17, being a Little League manager for 6 years in San Diego. The boy's age groups were mostly 13-15 and my last year the kids were 6-7. In those days most of the kids had both their parents attend the games. When some of the boys became young adults I ran into them from time to time and they still called me "coach."

lol!
I did not know Father Carroll from San Diego. Bill Mahoney was our district leader and manager. He was ever so kind to me. This was the period of time that I was in the biggest transition of my life. I had left the convent years before, got married and worked as a nurse-aide, while eventually having 4 children. I went to Bill and told him that I was leaving the Catholic Church. It was during the priest scandal and our parish priest was caught in a shopping mall bathroom with a young boy and arrested. Since I had decided to leave the Catholic church then, I felt it was inappropriate for me to stay on as the local President of a volunteer Catholic organization. He was heartsick when I gave him the shocking news and said that my 6 yrs with the society had been immeasurably fruitful. None the less, my own spirit was broken and needed to heal from the many other abuses going on in that area where I lived.

Your coaching the young fellows must have given you great joy, Bob. They never forget a good man who takes time out of his schedule to encourage them in a healthy sports activity.

Back