Hebrew Names vs English

I've been getting the impression, by way of continuous barrage, that many seem to think (and I'm saying it SEEMS that they think this given their staunch refusal to render biblical, Hebrew names in our English) that by trying to always utilize the Hebrew names of the various people of renown, such as the prophets (both major and minor), the Messiah, etc., that they are therefore coming across as being more "spiritual" than others who stick mainly to the English pronouncements of all those names.

Some have looked at me with curious expressions, seemingly to see if I showed any signs of being impressed with the practice. I hope I betrayed no such impression to them or anyone else, because names have historically had various pronunciations from language to language. Nothing new about that. I don't see anyone as being more spiritual with the language they utilize to refer to various items from the Old Testament.

Have y'all had such interactions?

MM

I don't see anyone as being more spiritual with the language they utilize to refer to various items from the Old Testament.

MM
I have experienced this occasionally. We attended a conference once where it was rampant by design and I found this to be very off-putting and distracting, particularly when the names were mis-pronounced.

If I’m tracking you on this, I agree, it isn’t the terms used that is as nearly important as how you interpret, understand and mean them.

For some people using archaic names is a sincere attempt to draw closer to the Lord, and if they feel “nearer to God” then perhaps they will hold the scripture closer to their hearts and lead more godly lives. If so, then Bless them, it matters not to me except in the very best of ways.

With other people however, I find this practice very pretentious and overdrawn. I suppose it depends on the person and circumstances how I interpret this. Then again, in the end, this is between them and their God.

I trust that whether we say El Shaddai or Almighty Father, He knows not only who we are addressing but how we feel about Him in our hearts, which is more important to our chances of communion with Him and our eternal life than any name we may call Him by.

That said, I do enjoy learning and knowing the Biblical Hebrew old testament names and also the Greek New Testament names for Jesus. I do use them occasionally in private but I must admit I seldom, if ever, use them in public, or in any personal, spontaneous prayer.

God bless

I've been getting the impression, by way of continuous barrage, that many seem to think (and I'm saying it SEEMS that they think this given their staunch refusal to render biblical, Hebrew names in our English) that by trying to always utilize the Hebrew names of the various people of renown, such as the prophets (both major and minor), the Messiah, etc., that they are therefore coming across as being more "spiritual" than others who stick mainly to the English pronouncements of all those names.

Some have looked at me with curious expressions, seemingly to see if I showed any signs of being impressed with the practice. I hope I betrayed no such impression to them or anyone else, because names have historically had various pronunciations from language to language. Nothing new about that. I don't see anyone as being more spiritual with the language they utilize to refer to various items from the Old Testament.

MM
i look up the meaning of names and they do have a significant and purpose meaning. i dont do hebrew and greek even though i look up meanings..
i have no issue with someone that can understand and bring it out.. provided they are not pompous in prestation. i have listened to some Bible theologians who teach regular courses . just to be honest with you. they did not impress me and they bored me.

i enjoy DR/ bro Adrian Rogers who breaks it down to a level of understanding . me personally i have no issues when you break names down. if not mistaken Barnabas meant encourager he took mark under his win=g when paul felt. he was not ready for ministry work

I don't see the specific name (e.g. the pronunciation) as being terribly important. Different languages have different sounds so use whatever sound best fits your tongue.

What is important, however, is the understanding that Hebrew names typically also had meanings. For example. "Adam" means "man" and "Jesus" ("Iesous/Yeshua") is derived from the name "Joshua" which means "Yahweh is salvation".

Another facet to the original post that I had not revealed yet is that the majority of those who make it a habit to speak the Hebrew names of Bible people are converts to Hebrew Roots and Messianics...not necessarily Jews who originally spoke Hebrew, but Americans who converted over to Messianicism, seemingly pretending like they are moew Jewish. And, as blueskies said, some of them don't pronounce the Hebrew names correctly.

It's actually a blessing that greater spirituality is not at all evidenced in sounding like a Hebrew. Being spiritual is, first and foremost, living a life of faith. We have been hit with one thing after another these past couple of weeks, and we continue to remind ourselves and each other that the Lord is in control, and His perfectly loving concern for our well-being is absolutely trustworthy. Another evidence for a spiritual life is when "living waters" is what flows out from us toward others, all to the glory of the Lord our King.

MM

Another facet to the original post that I had not revealed yet is that the majority of those who make it a habit to speak the Hebrew names of Bible people are converts to Hebrew Roots and Messianics...not necessarily Jews who originally spoke Hebrew, but Americans who converted over to Messianicism, seemingly pretending like they are moew Jewish. And, as blueskies said, some of them don't pronounce the Hebrew names correctly.

It's actually a blessing that greater spirituality is not at all evidenced in sounding like a Hebrew. Being spiritual is, first and foremost, living a life of faith. We have been hit with one thing after another these past couple of weeks, and we continue to remind ourselves and each other that the Lord is in control, and His perfectly loving concern for our well-being is absolutely trustworthy. Another evidence for a spiritual life is when "living waters" is what flows out from us toward others, all to the glory of the Lord our King.

MM
paul wrote to timiothy study show your self approved. if your into greek and hebrew names and all that so be it

hmm no
Not really getting a 'barrage'. Some people just happen to have a Hebrew background and are using the original names I don't see a problem with it. Doesn't make them more spiritual.

Why should we expect everything to always be in English anyway? There are other languages on the planet. The Bible wasn't originally in English.

The chief reasons we want our communications to be in English is that English is our primary language, and we want to understand the concepts being conveyed to us by other communicators. Incidently, I'm fluent in 2 languages and have working familiarity with 3 others.
But names are in all languages and sometimes get transliterated. No big deal. Otherwise why doesn't everyone call Jesus 'Salvation' and Peter 'Rock'

??

I think this is a straw man, silly argument.

Jesus is not even an English name. It's a Greek rendering of Yeshua. Because English people can't pronounce Hebrew words. So they have to Anglicise it.

My mum's name is Siu in Chinese, but everyone that speaks English calls her Sue cos they can't get their tongues round to say Siu. Why do English people get all angry when people can't pronounce English properly when they don't themselves do this for other languages? Hypocrites or pot just calling kettle black?

That's right, even with a Hebrew word we hear, it would have to be defined in English in our minds unless we think in Hebrew.
This is why I think 'meanings' run through our minds and we use various languages to express the 'meanings' into thoughts. e.g. did you have thoughts at 6 mos?

We could call Jesus Joshua and it wouldn't be wrong. But then there is already a Joshua in the Bible. Means the same thing. Salvation.

Its just a different prononciation because Chinese people don't have the tongue to say Jesus like English people do. In Greek it's actually Iesous but the 'J' seems like it's pronounced because English speakers can't really do the Greek vowel sounds.

All the same.

I taught ESOL so it's just a thing you have to get used to, pronouncing names correctly in another language. Some feel more comfortable using the Hebrew, but it doesn't make them any more spiritual than anyone else.

The issue with pronunciation can be a sore point for some, like Maori can be a bit offended by the way English people mangle their names or refuse to say them how they are. But then Maori often can't pronounce English properly either so it's just the same thing. We all speak the accents we are given and sometimes can change them to fit in with others but it's not natural thing to do for most people.

In NZ actors who were acting on tv and their tv shows were sold to the US market were told they had to sound more American. So they learned to speak with their 'R's, but even in the US actors are told to lose their regional accents so they could be understood by others, particularly if they were very Southern sounding.

It's kind of disconcerting to hear some pastors refer to Gawd instead of God for example. They must have picked it up from American televangelists.

Back