HEBREW OR GREEK more important?

HI

I am a recently graduated theology student who is moving to Texas for ministry purposes and am going to pursue study in the biblical languages but I was wondering if you could help direct me. I would be extremely grateful. I am trying to decide between mastering the Greek or the Hebrew. I know its an odd question, especially considering C.S. Lewis when he said "that is like asking which blade of a pair of scissors is more important."

I know most christians will see this as a no brainer and default to the greek. Perhaps thats just the truth but Im looking for a little more clarity. I know the NT is written in Greek and Jesus/disciples spoke Greek and even referenced the OT in greek (Septuagint). Furthermore, it seems to me that the OT is less important for exegesis per say because a lot of it is narrative in comparison to NT. Im thinking greek would prolly give a Pastor more practical insight in his sermons. Not sure how much the Hebrew would really change things?

However, at the same time, the foundation of the bible is the OT and Hebrew. I mean, Jesus was a practicing Jew for crying out loud and Paul had an incredible understanding of Jesus because of his OT background and particularly his deep understanding of the LAW (which I think is lacking big time in this generation). So if Jesus and the disciples had a Hebrew mindset, maybe the Hebrew is better to master? I am fascinated in the way Jesus preaches about the "Kingdom" and its relationship to the OT.

I mean, maybe in some way, the language of the NT is less important because it is just being used by the writers to interpret Jesus and the OT. Perhaps the Hebrew world view should remain. I do find it odd that God chose to use the greek language in the NT. It is just an odd thing to me because it seems so conflicting. But I do understand that the world was shifting and even the Hebrews were quite hellenized. Now, the world is deeply influenced by Greek thought. Perhaps this was Gods plan all along? some sort of paradigm shift. John uses words like "LOGOS" or "the word" that are based on a Greek world view.

It's just interesting that Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John did not have any Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John to draw from...haha. Same with Paul. These guys, along with the NT christians, were all relying upon the OT to understand Jesus and what God was now doing. Hebrew and OT seems very important and almost neglected by christians today.

Anyways, I guess you see my struggle. I won't be able to nail both languages down anytime soon and would love to focus on one language for the time being. I love the OT and I want to bring its depth to light but as a preacher Its hard to ignore the NT greek.

Also, I hear many theologians say that Jesus probably spoke Hberew/Aramaic rather than Greek even tho the NT is in greek.

Welcome_large.jpg

Welcome to cfs.
Very Glad to see you here and looking forward to some good ol fellowship one with another.

As we ask of all new memers,
Please look over the Following and Familiarize yourself with them, this will help you to have a safe and joyful time here in the forum.

Again this is just forum procedure and nothing else.

1. Forum Policies and Procedures
2. Topics which May Not Be Discussed in the open forum.

If you have any questions or issues with the forum, please feel free to contact a moderator or helper and we will do what we can to help.

Again Welcome to cfs
Blessings

HI

I am a recently graduated theology student who is moving to Texas for ministry purposes and am going to pursue study in the biblical languages but I was wondering if you could help direct me. I would be extremely grateful. I am trying to decide between mastering the Greek or the Hebrew. I know its an odd question, especially considering C.S. Lewis when he said "that is like asking which blade of a pair of scissors is more important."

I know most christians will see this as a no brainer and default to the greek. Perhaps thats just the truth but Im looking for a little more clarity. I know the NT is written in Greek and Jesus/disciples spoke Greek and even referenced the OT in greek (Septuagint). Furthermore, it seems to me that the OT is less important for exegesis per say because a lot of it is narrative in comparison to NT. Im thinking greek would prolly give a Pastor more practical insight in his sermons. Not sure how much the Hebrew would really change things?

However, at the same time, the foundation of the bible is the OT and Hebrew. I mean, Jesus was a practicing Jew for crying out loud and Paul had an incredible understanding of Jesus because of his OT background and particularly his deep understanding of the LAW (which I think is lacking big time in this generation). So if Jesus and the disciples had a Hebrew mindset, maybe the Hebrew is better to master? I am fascinated in the way Jesus preaches about the "Kingdom" and its relationship to the OT.

I mean, maybe in some way, the language of the NT is less important because it is just being used by the writers to interpret Jesus and the OT. Perhaps the Hebrew world view should remain. I do find it odd that God chose to use the greek language in the NT. It is just an odd thing to me because it seems so conflicting. But I do understand that the world was shifting and even the Hebrews were quite hellenized. Now, the world is deeply influenced by Greek thought. Perhaps this was Gods plan all along? some sort of paradigm shift. John uses words like "LOGOS" or "the word" that are based on a Greek world view.

It's just interesting that Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John did not have any Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John to draw from...haha. Same with Paul. These guys, along with the NT christians, were all relying upon the OT to understand Jesus and what God was now doing. Hebrew and OT seems very important and almost neglected by christians today.

Anyways, I guess you see my struggle. I won't be able to nail both languages down anytime soon and would love to focus on one language for the time being. I love the OT and I want to bring its depth to light but as a preacher Its hard to ignore the NT greek.

Also, I hear many theologians say that Jesus probably spoke Hberew/Aramaic rather than Greek even tho the NT is in greek.
abs2welcome.png

Welcome.

I'd do Hebrew... it's what I'm doing and just as you said, Jesus et. al. didn't have the NT... besides there's mounting evidence that the Mark and John were written in Aramaic, Matthew in Hebrew, and Luke in Greek. Besides, to truly understand the NT you must understand the Hebrew Scriptures... not old, just Hebrew Scriptures... "old" indicated outdated, useless, done away, but that's not true. But that's just my opinion. :)

Back