Heroes and Leaders

A famous ex Australian Prime Minister died recently. He has a reputation as one of the best PMs Australia ever had. On a professional and career level, this guy had almost no peer.
Yet from a Christian point of view I don't think he rates as highly. Infidelity and heavy drinking in younger years. Ruthless ambition to get to the top. He wasn't afraid to do whatever it takes to get to the top.
Who am I to judge? yes I know what you are saying. But my concern is who we look up to is important. Their private life is important. The whole package. the Australian media here call him a "larrikin". In fact they called him a "loveable larrikin". I suspect if he wasn't a popular charming guy, they would be using different words like "reprehensible womaniser" and his ambition as having "blood on his hands."
I'd like to see society look up to leaders who are beyond reproach in their private life. Ones with integrity. Even if they lack a bit of charm. Charm is an overrated trait. "Cool" in other words. Society forgives you if you are cool and competent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, thats why we look to Jesus as our Lord and saviour.
If we dont have anyone to look up to...but we may find people who have his light shining where we least expect it.

Check out 1 corinthians 1:26-29

Not many mighty, not many noble are called...

Sounds like this prime minister enjoyed his life and had no regard for eternity. Eternity matters more than this life. Those that love their lives will lose it and those that hate their life in this world will find it.

Back