Hi Folks, Newbie Here <<<

Is it better to love God, or fear God?

• Total voters
Greetings fellow crusaders for christ!

I've never been apart of a christian forum before, but this seemed like a great place to chat with other christians and exchange wisdom about the Lord! I have a lot of thoughts swirling around my head, and could use some like-minded people to bounce them off of. I hope I don't sound flippant, but I am looking forward to getting to know ya'll! I recently returned to active participation at my local church, but I wanted to talk about faith more than once a week for an hour if you know what I mean. I hope this is the beginning of a special relationship.

Howdy brother! Welcome to CFS. Church is good once a week but why wait. Come here as much as you like and we can all chat faith and learn together. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions. We are here to help. God Bless you.

Chili out.

Please define "fear" in your poll: thanks.

That's a good question. Hard to define without using the word "fear", at least for me. I think what I mean by "fear God" is being wary of the consequences for breaking his commandments. The reason I created the poll is because in many places in the Bible it says to fear God, but it also says to love God. It also says there is no fear in love. John 4:18, There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. This is puzzling to me, and I am trying to resolve this discrepancy. Maybe in fear they are implying a certain kind of humility in our relation with God, to recognize how small we are and only by his infinite mercy do we exist at all. Perhaps there are subtleties that don't come across in a translation from hebrew. Anyhow, I haven't been totally satisfied with my answers maybe you have some thoughts on it.

As for church, I know I should go more often, but I'm still searching for one that is a good fit for me. Thanks for being so welcoming, by the way!

I agree that we should both fear and love God. Fear is not often talked about but fear and repentance are crucial for real salvation. I pray that you will find a home church, I have been without one from time to time and it is not the best. However, finding one where you can belong and serve Jesus is tricky.

it is better to fear him. For reverence/fear of God brings forth love for God because you fear him and respect him. in turn you obey him. he said if you love me you will obey me. if you obey you are showing love. some say they love the Lord and yet do not the things he says. obedience comes due to fear and respect for the Lord. in so doing you learn to love him.

Hi. I'm fairly new myself. I think it is best to both love and fear God. Although, I believe to fear God means to show some deep respect for Him and obey His word.

Greetings fellow crusaders for christ!

I've never been apart of a christian forum before, but this seemed like a great place to chat with other christians and exchange wisdom about the Lord! I have a lot of thoughts swirling around my head, and could use some like-minded people to bounce them off of. I hope I don't sound flippant, but I am looking forward to getting to know ya'll! I recently returned to active participation at my local church, but I wanted to talk about faith more than once a week for an hour if you know what I mean. I hope this is the beginning of a special relationship.
Welcome to the forums! :)

Perhaps "respect" which would include a 'fear in disappointing our Creator' would be more applicable.

I like that, because fear of consequences sounds kind of selfish. However, is it really possible to disappoint an omniscient being? To me, however, the term 'disappoint' implies some sort of expectation that isn't met. Wouldn't an all knowing God already know what was going to happen? To God, there is no past, present, or future because time is an illusion experienced by man. Aahh I am definitely over thinking these things. I still am not quite sure how fear works in relation to God, but maybe I don't need to be sure.

The bible also tells us there is no fear in love. So which is it?
We should have fear as in respect, reverence, being in awe.. And not fear as in horror or terror.. We don't have to fear about judgement due to the finished work on cross by Christ..

We should have fear as in respect, reverence, being in awe.. And not fear as in horror or terror.. We don't have to fear about judgement due to the finished work on cross by Christ..

That makes sense, do you think the confusion might have to do with subtleties that don't come across in a translation from hebrew?

That makes sense, do you think the confusion might have to do with subtleties that don't come across in a translation from hebrew?

I am no Hebrew or Greek expert.. In fact I know nothing of these languages.. So I can't comment on whether this is really just a translation issue and Hebrew language has better word for this.. But if I checked interlinear Bible and concordance for fear, it sounds like the Hebrew language also uses the same equivalent of fear (yə·rê).

I was reading my daily Bible portion yesterday.. Abraham getting ready to sacrifice Isaac.. This is what Bible says in Genesis 22,

12He said, “Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.

Here the more appropriate meaning is reverence, complete submission and complete obedience to God. But it is referred as "fear". Goes with the same defintion of fear I gave.

Ecc 12:13 tells us:

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Fear is a healthy dread of being out of the will of God. When you are preparing food in the kitchen you have a fear of what that knife can do to you if not handled properly. Not terrified, but fearful in a sense of reverence and carefulness. Obviously God is on a much much higher scale but it is the same, we must understand the awesome power of God, and where we are in comparison.

Back