Hierarchy Of Commands

Hello everyone! I'm hoping that his thread will be an exciting and groundbreaking project that we can all work on.

Those of you who have read my posts before already know that I have an obsession concerning ethics and moral choices, particularly in the face of seemingly no-win situations. Those of you who replied to my posts have helped me realize a very important truth; that not all of God's/Jesus' commands to us are equal in priority and circumstance. Sometimes commands conflict with one another, and one must take precedence over the other.

I suspect that if we know the priority of God's/Jesus' commands, we will find more peace and clarity when we have to make the tough decisions. So I would like to ask all of your help in establishing the correct order of these commands.

Here's what I'm looking for: John Doe posts and states that between love your neighbor and obey authority, such and such a command over rules the other when a situation seems to cause those two commands to contradict one another.
Here are some other examples of commands that could possibly conflict and must find resolution:
authority vs honesty
love your neighbor
vs honesty
love your neighbor
vs don't cast your pearls before swine
give all that is asked of you
vs provide for your family
obey your parents
vs obey government
obey your parents
vs love your neighbor
obey your parents
vs honesty

The list goes on and on. Thank you all in advance for helping me figure these things out. I'll be popping in here and there to thank people for their contributions and to stir the pot with new ideas. God bless! =D

authority vs honesty
love your neighbor
vs honesty
love your neighbor
vs don't cast your pearls before swine
give all that is asked of you
vs provide for your family
obey your parents
vs obey government
obey your parents
vs love your neighbor
obey your parents
vs honesty

I think Jesus pretty much answers your question here ..

Mat 22:37
And He said to him, “ ‘YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.’
Mat 22:38
“This is the great and foremost commandment.
Mat 22:39
“The second is like it, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’

to love God, is not to sin ..
therefore ALL Commandments rest on that one ..
to love your neighbor as yourself is the compassion and holiness God requires of us .. thus all things concerning others fall under that ..

the 10 Commandments are the Highest and Eternal, as you see in Mat 19:17 Jesus says that is MANDATORY to gain salvation ..

obeying authority is not a commandment, and as we see in Acts was trumped by the Commandment to Love God ..
Act 5:28
saying, “We gave you strict orders not to continue teaching in this name, and yet, you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and intend to bring this man’s blood upon us.”
Act 5:29
But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.

interesting enough, you will find a distinction is made between Commandments, Statutes and Laws ..
Neh 9:14
“So You made known to them Your holy sabbath, and laid down for them commandments, statutes and law, through Your servant Moses.

if a parent or authority makes you choose between obeying God or them, then they have lost their the divine mandate .. so we cannot obey our parents or authority if they try and make us break the "foremost Commandment" as Jesus calls it .. nor is obeying them honoring them, but helping them sin against God ..

Last edited:
1. love your neighbor vs honesty
2. love your neighbor vs don't cast your pearls before swine
3. give all that is asked of you vs provide for your family

1. Honesty is loving your neighbour.
2. Not casting your pearl before your neighbour is tough love.
3. Always give all that is asked of you. Just give in the right order. Family and some savings first! Then support for the church. When funds run dry they are dry.

Ixoye nailed the rest.

Kudos for an innovative subject to discuss (y). Sadly this subject is as simple as 1. Obey God and 2. Do unto your neighbour as you would want done unto you.

Back