His Name In Vain

Boanerges, I remember reading that when the scribes were recording scripture onto parchment, scrolls etc.
And they came to the name Yahweh, that they would actually stop writing.

Select a virgin quill.

Write the name.

Then retire that quill forever.

They held such reverence, that they felt that the pen had performed such a glorious task, that it it should be left as having done just that.

Isn't that a marvelous example of the first 3 commandments in motion!

Is it bad to say "Oh my Lord?" (not in a prayer way [God forgive if it is!]) because God is the LORD.

I used to say "Oh my ---" (--- for respect to Him, God), but my grandmother told me to stop. And I did, 'cause I never knew if I would really be struck down by lightning! :eek:

NearertoGod, I'm not very fond of the word "bad" in your question.

The reason I say that is because it could imply an absolute rule.

"Is it "BAD" to say "O' my Lord"

Personally, if I were to fall off of a cliff, I would like it to be said that my last words were "O' my LORD!"

However if it is used so frequently that one begins to overlook the Righteousness of His name. I would say that it might be a good time to develop a new habitual expression. :)

NearertoGod, I'm not very fond of the word "bad" in your question.

The reason I say that is because it could imply an absolute rule.

"Is it "BAD" to say "O' my Lord"

Personally, if I were to fall off of a cliff, I would like it to be said that my last words were "O' my LORD!"

However if it is used so frequently that one begins to overlook the Righteousness of His name. I would say that it might be a good time to develop a new habitual expression. :)

Well, I guess "Oh my Lord" is not so unrighteous as "Oh my ---". Yeah, I haven't said "Oh my Lord" before, but...my cousin says "Jesus" when things happen, and I'm not sure if that's really right.

God

Could someone explain to me what you mean when you say God is not really His name, that it was made up by man? This is the first time I have heard this idea, and I am curious what you mean. Isn't He called God in the Bible? I understand others have their gods, but God was before all of them. And I know about all his other names too, so why is "God" not really His name when He has all those other names? Who came up with this?

God has many Names in Scripture:
YWHW or Yahweh or a more modern translation Jehovah was so awesome that the Hebrews could not comprehend Him so they started naming his atributes- the did this 9 times:
JEHOVAH- ISAIAH 26:4 -GOD EVERLASTING STRENGTH, ROCK OF AGES​

JEHOVAH NISSI- EXODUS 17:15- THE LORD MY BANNER​

JEHOVAH SHALOM- JUDGES 6:24- THE LORD SEND PEACE​

JEHOVAH SHAMMAH - EZEKIAL 48:35 -THE LORD IS THERE​

JEHOVAH TSIDKENU- JEREMIAH 23:6- THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS​

JEHOVAH ROPHE- EXODUS 15:26- THE LORD HEALS​

JEHOVAH ROHI- PSALM 23:1- THE LORD MY SHEPARD​

JEHOVAH M’KADDESH- EXODUS 31:13- THE LORD WHO SANCTIFIES​

JEHOVAH SABAOTH- 1 SAMUEL 15:2 THE LORD OF HOSTS​

There are other Names atributed to Him in scripture and each mostly describes His position or describes His actions.
He identified Himself as YHWH- the I AM- the self existant eternal God.​

There is a thread going on about this same subject now:
http://www.christianforumsite.com/bible-studies/10451-question-about-god.html

Well, I guess "Oh my Lord" is not so unrighteous as "Oh my ---". Yeah, I haven't said "Oh my Lord" before, but...my cousin says "Jesus" when things happen, and I'm not sure if that's really right.

Way back, I think, people were simple folk, hard-working, God-fearing with upstanding morals and a duty to others besides themselves.:eek: hee hee hee

Anyways, they used to call on the name of the Lord in their times of trouble. If they slipped and busted their ankle while out hiking around in the rocks, they'd scream out to our Saviour: "Jesus Christ, please help me!"

Their sons or daughters were standing nearby and heard.

Later on, when they grew up in worse morals, they started calling out the same thing in their own times of need. But, having not known the Saviour, they called out for the wrong reason.

Our Lord's name became a swear word to a generation of wickedness, curruption, and evil.

I think I understand this now. When we call out, asking our Saviour to help, it isn't swearing.

But when we're angry and scream His Holy Name instead of a curse word...then it's wrong and we should be whipped.:(

Anywho, I still can't see the reason why the pastor told his brother it was okay. Granted, I'm not the brother and try very hard not to speak this way, but...as a pastor, didn't he do his brother unjustice by saying it was okay?

Back