Holy Communion?

Hi everyone!
Do you take the holy communion everyday? What do you think about when you take the holy communion?
I am starting to partake and am finding that I do not really know what my actions signify. I just eat and drink them gratefully but am not able to really understand the full meaning of it.
I know that the bread means the body of Jesus Christ and he paid for our sins on the cross and the wine means his blood that washes us clean.
But... I want to know it more deeply!
What is the holy communion to you?
Cheers,
^_^

Hello Jun, I'm not sure I really understand your question, so.......
Holy Communion/Eucharist/ the Lord's supper seem sometimes to mean different things to different people...sadly.
Holy Communion is a sacrement practiced by the Churches in direct obedience to Jesus' instruction.
The gospels just record Jesus' words, "do this in remembrance of me".
Paul amplifies this commandment by sharing with us what he received from the Lord, that when we gather together and take Communion, we proclaim Christ's death till He returns. 1 Cor 11:23-26
23 For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is for5 you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.
There is more to be said on this.

Do I take Holy Communion every day? No, but it would be good in one way but maybe not so good in another way.
Holy Communion should not ever become just something we do as routine...dull...boring..a chore.
But when I do take Holy Communion, I am very conscious of the fact that it was me..it was my sin that placed Jesus on that cross. In that respect, Communion becomes a very personal "communion" with our Lord. It is also in some circles referred to as the Eucharist, which means "thanksgiving". In that sense, having driven Christ Jesus to His death, I am very thankful that He has forgiven me of my sin and also very thankful that He has been raised and will come again, thereby assuring me that His sacrifice has been accepted by the Father on my behalf.
So Holly Communion is both a very solemn sacrament, and also a joyous expression/declaration of our restored relationship with the Lord.

Just a note on the passage I have quoted: The occasion of this eating and drinking was the Passover feast. It was itself a solemn and yet joyous celebration of the Lord's delivering of the Israelites from their captivity to Egypt. It was not practiced on a daily basis, but at a specific time.
There is a very great similarity here. The Lord delivered the Israelites from their bondage to the Egyptians and slavery, And now, through His death on the cross, Jesus has set us free of our bondage to sin and spiritual death.

A homework assignment for you young lass if I might....
Study the Old testament teaching on the passover feast and what the various elements signified. That may help you in a deeper understanding too.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited:
This is an excellent question. I suspect you'll get different answers here considering there are differences of doctrine.

My answer is that Holy Communion is the most important sacrament there is. It is an intimate encounter with Jesus, in which we sacramentally receive Him into our bodies that we may be more completely taken into His.

JRR Tolkien wrote of the Eucharist "Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament … There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves upon earth.”

The Eucharist is not something to be taken lightly and should be taken very seriously and regarded with dignity -- after all, it is the body and blood of Christ.

My short answer: if you don't understand what your doing-don't do it. That goes with any biblical truth-like...eh hem...baptism.

I'll put it like this: doing anything "daily" has a tendency to become ritualistic and meaningless. Now I am not saying a routine or a schedule is a bad thing, but you don't want it to become rote. Let's take prayer for example-we SHOULD pray daily and more than once a day; what we shouldn't do is make it "religious" by spouting off 'vain repetitions' or praying just to be heard praying like Jesus said. As Christ said-our Father already knows what we need; be persistent in prayer: YES! Make prayer mundane-NO!

Let's look at the term "Holy Communion"; what's the first part: "Holy". Are we "Holy" to begin with? No. Does God know we are not "Holy"-Yes; that's why He sent His Son. But the implication of "Holy Communion" is "communion" with God but with the extra added "Holy" before it. What is my point- "Holy Communion" requires preparation. Not just preparation of the table, wine, bread, and sanctuary-but most importantly, preparation of our souls. For our Father in heaven truly desires to be worshiped 'In Spirit".

Now I am going to go off the track a little and infer a few things which can be gleaned from the Bible. I believe that in our personal preparation for a "Holy Communion" with God is a step up from our regular prayer life. I believe this preparation for Holy communion includes: separating ourselves from the worldly things, reading the Bible, prayer and fasting; and meditating on the Word. Can this be done everyday? I guess that is a matter of perspective...(Maybe it SHOULD be done everyday-if I were a Pastor...)

Holy Communion is about allowing yourself to be taken over by the Holy Spirit and connecting to God through Jesus Christ. It should be taken seriously.

John 6

Greetings:

All answers start with a question.Lord asks,do you see yourself in me,if yes,then I will see myself in you.

bye

I think scripture is rather clear on its meaning. Remembering Jesus 1 Cor 11:25 and examining ourselves before we eat or drink 1 Cor 11:29.

Hi everyone thank you for your answers! I will read up more on the bible to understand more of its meaning.
I am not partaking everyday as of now. (I partake together with the church ^^)
There is so much more to the holy communion and I'd just love to know every single bit of it's wonderful goodness.
For example, for the sick, taking the communion can also mean to them that Jesus bore our sicknesses on the cross and we receive his healing in faith.
But my knowledge is shallow. I will slowly learn more, thank you for the replies!!!

Hi everyone thank you for your answers! I will read up more on the bible to understand more of its meaning.
I am not partaking everyday as of now. (I partake together with the church ^^)
There is so much more to the holy communion and I'd just love to know every single bit of it's wonderful goodness.
For example, for the sick, taking the communion can also mean to them that Jesus bore our sicknesses on the cross and we receive his healing in faith.
But my knowledge is shallow. I will slowly learn more, thank you for the replies!!!

May the LORD give you wisdom and knowledge in your walk with Christ. God Bless.

Back