Hot, Cold or Lukewarm...

Via dolarossa

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Secretary
Why would Jesus want us to either be hot or cold but not lukewarm?

Revelation 3:15-16 ESV​

“‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.

I can honestly say, sometimes I am a lukewarm christian. I'm not sure about cold though. what would a cold christian look like?

Why would Jesus want us to either be hot or cold but not lukewarm?

Revelation 3:15-16 ESV​

“‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.

I can honestly say, sometimes I am a lukewarm christian. I'm not sure about cold though. what would a cold christian look like?
One who lives in Alaska in an Igloo maybe? I've been cold and lukewarm, so please let me answer this from experience. A cold Christian is one who is unthankful, selfish, and unaware of what God is doing in your life, and not yielding to what He wants to do through you to minister His Love to others!

And we must remember and learn the rest of this Revelation 3 text where God tells us how to undo the cold and Luke warmness. He says Repent, and turn back to your first Love and do your first works again. And by doing this you will fulfill the next thing as go and buy of me gold tried in the fire, which is the daily purified cleansing from Repentance!

Thank You sister Fiona for Posting for Jesus today! Great job!

Why would Jesus want us to either be hot or cold but not lukewarm? Revelation 3:15-16 ESV
“‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. I can honestly say, sometimes I am a lukewarm christian. I'm not sure about cold though. what would a cold christian look like?

Hello Via;

You ask a great question. Jesus would rather we be hot for Him, on fire to obey and follow Him daily, or cold for Him, never caring, thinking of Him and not walking with Him daily.

At least He knows where we stand with Him. So when we are cold for Christ, there is the opportunity to change and follow Him.

Lukewarm is in the middle where we stand with Jesus, with one foot in and one foot out. Jesus can see this as not being transparent and He will spit it out.

Example, people who proclaim their Christian faith but only at their convenience, or when they get around to following Christ, but not now because I have me to please first. This is what a lukewarm or cold Christian looks like.

We all have been there. This is why we should be forever grateful for our God who patiently loves us, forever.

God bless you, sister.

Hot or cold no question where you stand but lukewarm is deceptive, dangerous.
Hot or cold is not going to deceive anyone but the pretender - lukewarm - like Satan, one word off is very misleading...

Lukewarm means on the fence.
Cold is probably atheist? But at least when they are arguing about hating God and trying fervently to believe He doesn't exist, they are engaging in the battle rather than maybe just totally ignoring Him or pretending to believe?

Hello Via;

You ask a great question. Jesus would rather we be hot for Him, on fire to obey and follow Him daily, or cold for Him, never caring, thinking of Him and not walking with Him daily.

At least He knows where we stand with Him. So when we are cold for Christ, there is the opportunity to change and follow Him.

Lukewarm is in the middle where we stand with Jesus, with one foot in and one foot out. Jesus can see this as not being transparent and He will spit it out.

Example, people who proclaim their Christian faith but only at their convenience, or when they get around to following Christ, but not now because I have me to please first. This is what a lukewarm or cold Christian looks like.

We all have been there. This is why we should be forever grateful for our God who patiently loves us, forever.

God bless you, sister.
This is spot on. Unfortunately, it’s sometimes difficult for us to maintain a hot fire for Him as a result of us being in a fallen world full of temptations and distractions. It’s important to recognize when you find yourself not being as on fire as you once were and refocus your priorities and efforts to stoke the fire! Thankfully, the grace and mercy of our Lord and Savior is everlasting.

This person has an interesting slant...

"Hot" and "Cold" in Historical Context

The large population and extensive textile industry in Laodicea required an ample water supply. The three major cities around the valley, Laodicea, Colossae, and Hierapolis, all had distinct water sources.
  • Laodicea piped water from the mountains to the south. After 6 miles in an aqueduct, the water arrived lukewarm with a gritty concentration of calcium carbonate.
  • Colossae was tucked into the foot of Mount Honaz where cold mountain run-off water poured down to supply the city with fresh water.
  • Hierapolis was positioned on magnificent hot springs that emitted mineral rich waters attracting visitors from all over Asia to its therapeutic baths.
All 3 cities lie around the Lycus river valley, but their water supplies distinguished them. Whereas Hierapolis had hot water beneficial for therapeutic purposes and Colossae had cold water for a refreshing drink, Laodicea’s piped water was best suited for the textile industry, or flushing the city’s plumbing system. If you ingested the water, it would function as an emetic causing you to vomit.

Do you see how this local dynamic reveals the meaning of Jesus’ message to Laodicea? Jesus uses their water supply as a spiritual metaphor. “I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will vomit you out of My mouth” (Revelation 3:15-16).

Colossae’s cold, fresh mountain water and Hierapolis’s medicinal hot springs outclassed Laodicea’s lukewarm water supply that made people vomit after drinking. Cold water and hot water sources had great personal value. Laodicea's lukewarm water had the same personal value that complacent members of the Laodicean church had to the cause of Christ. Not much.

This is spot on. Unfortunately, it’s sometimes difficult for us to maintain a hot fire for Him as a result of us being in a fallen world full of temptations and distractions. It’s important to recognize when you find yourself not being as on fire as you once were and refocus your priorities and efforts to stoke the fire! Thankfully, the grace and mercy of our Lord and Savior is everlasting.
Yes Thankyou you said something that hit a nerve.

Even when I am feeling ungrateful or dismayed, I can learn to stoke the fire!

I’m one of those who sometimes think if nothing is happening then Gods not working in my life.

Old plumbing it used to be hot and cold water came out of separate taps and you had to mix them together in the basin.

Nowadays with modern plumbing you can have mixers.

I have a mixer in my library office and I had to clearly label which side was hot and which was cold so I would get the right water coming out lol. I would never remember which side it was cos the dots were very tiny (blue for cold, red for hot) . I didn't want to scorch my plants!

and refocus your priorities and efforts to stoke the fire!
Yes, I like this about stoking the fire. No smoke coming out the chimney means that ice cycles are beginning to form, and it takes a lot of fire and heat to melt ice! I'm starting to sing that old song, It's the Holy Ghost and Fire and it's keeping me alive!!!!

I wish I could get all the arcane references in the Bible esp in Revelation but they were written for a 1st century audience, for a long time I had no idea who the Nicolatianes were and why they were so bad.

I suppose if you lived in Sardis, Laodecia, Pergamon, or Ephesus you'd know exactly what was going down with the churches there.

Likewise, all those letters to the Thessalonians, the Corinthians and the Galatians.

Nowadays church bulletins/newsletters aren't so dramatic. They are more like..pot luck dinner next week, or so and so needs a prayer for their back, and maybe a cartoon or a quote or two, and the number of the church office.

Back