How did Jesus ascend up into heaven?

Lanolin asks a great question in another thread.

Also, I think some people need to read 2 Corinthians 5:17

Nothing is impossible with God.
Question for everyone to think about - how did Jesus ascend up into heaven? Did gravity just let go or did He float up there. No airplanes then...or did God just lift him up

Christ took on another form and the Father desired that there be witnesses to that event. God could have performed it in many different ways, but chose this visual means for our benefit.

Since the physical laws of this world were created by God, God is able to alter them or negate them in whatever manner he chooses.

Science can only test, observe and guess about the physical things it can sense. There is so much more though than this physical world. The spirit world is unknown and how it interacts with the physical world is not really known. I believe that there are interactions that create events from time to time that can't be explained by modern science because there is an element not understood by mankind.

cp

hmm
CP do you think God suspended gravity...or Jesus had wings?

I'm reminded of this verse in Malachi "But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall."(Malachi 4:2).

Or this one But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. isaiah 40:31

hmm
CP do you think God suspended gravity...or Jesus had wings?

No, I don't think it was necessary. Christ had already taken another form and God the Father was more than able to lift him. The display of Christ physically going up into the clouds was for the disciples benefit and our own.

cp

What do you mean, God just picked him out.
Like He reached down and plucked Jesus from earth? Book of Acts says he was 'taken up' which doesn't give us much clue HOW. We know he went up, He didn't just vanish. Then a cloud received him out of sight, so He must have been up quite high to reach the clouds.

What do you mean, God just picked him out.
Like He reached down and plucked Jesus from earth? Book of Acts says he was 'taken up' which doesn't give us much clue HOW. We know he went up, He didn't just vanish. Then a cloud received him out of sight, so He must have been up quite high to reach the clouds.

Yes, it can mean many things. God the Father lifting him up is certainly one possibility. It's one of those details at this point we don't need to fully understand for salvation.

cp

It probably all happened with blinding bright lights so people couldn't really make it all out. You know how dramatic God can be.
Jacob did dream there was a ladder to heaven and that angels were ascending or descending, (Genesis 28) but the book of Acts doesn't mention any ladder.... that place was Bethel, though Jesus ascended from the Mount of Olives -

No, I don't think it was necessary. Christ had already taken another form and God the Father was more than able to lift him. The display of Christ physically going up into the clouds was for the disciples benefit and our own.

cp

If anyone doubts that God in His infinite power is somehow unable to remove the Son of God from this earth to His heaven then the next question must be..
How did God Create the Universe??????

Simple by His spoken Word!!!

God says it and there it is!!

It may be helpful to those who do not do Bible study to grasp. There are several important facts about Jesusā€™ new body.

His body was different from our physical bodies even though it was flesh and bone (Luke 24:39). Since Mary did not recognize Jesusā€™ newly transformed body, we discover that Jesusā€™ body did not look like His old one.

In His new body, He could eat and drink. Now that is wonderful. Just imagine eating in the kingdom with Jesus. Jesus told His disciples that He would eat with them in the kingdom (Luke 22:15-16).

Jesusā€™ body was able to go through walls, and He could simply vanish. Now our bodies cannot do that.

Jesus returned to heaven both in spirit and with His new, immortal body.

Finally, the same way.....very same way that Jesus assended to heaven is the way that those of us who are truely born again will get to heaven.

Every man and woman will have a new body some day in the future. Some day God will give us transformed bodies. These new bodies will join our spirits. The apostle Paul tells us this in the following passage.

1 Corinthians 15:51-53 ........
"Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality."

Glory to God!!!!

If anyone doubts that God in His infinite power is somehow unable to remove the Son of God from this earth to His heaven then the next question must be..
How did God Create the Universe??????

Simple by His spoken Word!!!

God says it and there it is!!

It may be helpful to those who do not do Bible study to grasp. There are several important facts about Jesusā€™ new body.

His body was different from our physical bodies even though it was flesh and bone (Luke 24:39). Since Mary did not recognize Jesusā€™ newly transformed body, we discover that Jesusā€™ body did not look like His old one.

In His new body, He could eat and drink. Now that is wonderful. Just imagine eating in the kingdom with Jesus. Jesus told His disciples that He would eat with them in the kingdom (Luke 22:15-16).

Jesusā€™ body was able to go through walls, and He could simply vanish. Now our bodies cannot do that.

Jesus returned to heaven both in spirit and with His new, immortal body.

Finally, the same way.....very same way that Jesus assended to heaven is the way that those of us who are truely born again will get to heaven.

Every man and woman will have a new body some day in the future. Some day God will give us transformed bodies. These new bodies will join our spirits. The apostle Paul tells us this in the following passage.

1 Corinthians 15:51-53 ........
"Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality."

Glory to God!!!!

You are absolutely right. The disciples described what they saw. The explicit how is not explained, but that it happened is without a doubt.

cp

When we read about ascending into heaven, we must remember that it is told through the understanding of the human authors of the Gospels. Even under the direct leading of the Spirit, they did not have the concepts to understand and describe what was happening.

Heaven is not in any direction definable by normal coordinates.

The James Web telescope which 'sees' farther than any other we have constructed does not see to the Spiritual heaven. Rather, I believe they saw something quite rare in history and gave an account using the vocabulary and concepts people could grasp. After all, the important thing about the ascension was not the geometry and physics of the event, but the event itself.

A similar glimpse will be when Christ returns.

Do not expect physics to explain somehting that cannot be reprodiced at our will for experimentation and study.

There are times when the sciences tell us great things about God thru His Creation, but some things are by their very nature not amenable to scientific study or description.

When we read about ascending into heaven, we must remember that it is told through the understanding of the human authors of the Gospels. Even under the direct leading of the Spirit, they did not have the concepts to understand and describe what was happening.

Heaven is not in any direction definable by normal coordinates.

The James Web telescope which 'sees' farther than any other we have constructed does not see to the Spiritual heaven. Rather, I believe they saw something quite rare in history and gave an account using the vocabulary and concepts people could grasp. After all, the important thing about the ascension was not the geometry and physics of the event, but the event itself.

A similar glimpse will be when Christ returns.

Do not expect physics to explain somehting that cannot be reprodiced at our will for experimentation and study.

There are times when the sciences tell us great things about God thru His Creation, but some things are by their very nature not amenable to scientific study or description.
I dont think that anyone who is able to walk on water would have any problem leaving the earth and going to heaven.

When we read about ascending into heaven, we must remember that it is told through the understanding of the human authors of the Gospels. Even under the direct leading of the Spirit, they did not have the concepts to understand and describe what was happening. Heaven is not in any direction definable by normal coordinates. The James Web telescope which 'sees' farther than any other we have constructed does not see to the Spiritual heaven. Rather, I believe they saw something quite rare in history and gave an account using the vocabulary and concepts people could grasp. After all, the important thing about the ascension was not the geometry and physics of the event, but the event itself. A similar glimpse will be when Christ returns. Do not expect physics to explain somehting that cannot be reprodiced at our will for experimentation and study. There are times when the sciences tell us great things about God thru His Creation, but some things are by their very nature not amenable to scientific study or description.

Hello Siloam;

You and I shared in another thread Books and Bible how devotionals or references secondary to the Bible can have a "specific slant" to their message.
I agree with your opening post blue-lighted.
We are also empowered with discernment and wisdom to choose the information we read and whether it aligns with the Bible.

What I red-lighted;
I understand there is a place in the advanced subjects (except shallow theology) that can have a place and align with Scripture.

My question is, when theorists of the events in the Bible use geometry, physics, science, shallow theology, etc...who thinks this stuff up that ultimately end up in books?

God bless you, brother.

Back