How Did/would Jesus Respond To Politics/political Injustice?

What if Jesus saw a government treating its people poorly? What if he knew that
government officials were stealing public money and lavishing it on themselves
for their own pleasure when the people could barely survive?

I often think these questions. Unfortunately thinking about these situations (which really
do happen in the today in the developing world where I currently live) makes me angry. One way to look at these situations is that the people in the government are spiritually bankrupt andare surely on the path to hell. The regular people still can have spiritual salvation.Therefore, I should pity the crooked government officials. I should ask for their forgiveness in my prayers.

Am I just causing myself suffering for no reason? Surely Jesus wouldn’t worry like
I do. Can anyone help me with some scripture or advice on this topic?

Thank You

I often think these questions. Unfortunately thinking about these situations (which really
do happen in the today in the developing world where I currently live) makes me angry. One way to look at these situations is that the people in the government are spiritually bankrupt andare surely on the path to hell. The regular people still can have spiritual salvation.Therefore, I should pity the crooked government officials. I should ask for their forgiveness in my prayers.

Am I just causing myself suffering for no reason? Surely Jesus wouldn’t worry like

Thank You
I am a little baffled by the question. May be I am not understanding the question! You started asking What if Jesus saw a government treating its people poorly.. Does it mean Jesus is not seeing what is happening now? When we say God is in control of everything, He knows the smallest thing happening on this earth.. He knows what that little ant in the woods is carrying on its back.. And he knows what Obama is doing at the same time.. So I am not really sure if I understand the question

Thank You

Jesus didn't come to change the world or make the world perfect. He came to be the sacrifice for our sins.

'Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.'"

Hebrews 13:14 says, " For this world is not our home; we are looking forward to our city in heaven, which is yet to come."

This world is not meant to be perfect. True perfection is within the believer that is in the Holy Spirit.

"Now having been questioned by the Pharisees as to when the kingdom of God was coming, He answered them and said, "The kingdom of God is not coming with signs to be observed; 21nor will they say, 'Look, here it is!' or, 'There it is!' For behold, the kingdom of God is in your midst" (Luke 17:20-21).

There are two realms side by side. The physical realm and the spiritual realm. This earthly realm shows what is happening in the spiritual realm.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places" (Ephesians 6:12).

When a believers focus is on the material realm they are subject to that realm with its destruction, corrupt politics, suffering etc. When a believers focus is on God's realm which occurs when a person walks by submitting themselves to the Holy Spirit and letting God's life, power, love, and truth through them they see things from God's spiritual perspective rather than the material perspective in the world which is subject to doubt, fear, suffering, sorrows. Even if someone has trials in the material realm, if they abide in God's Spirit in the spiritual realm they can have his miraculous love, joy, and peace occuring within and through them during the trial.

Corrupt leaders are suffering a spiritual problem which causes them to do sinful material things. When believers focus on the material actions of people rather than the spiritual, then even if people join to cause suppression of an issue the spiritual won't be changed and the negative and sinful things will just manifest in other ways. Believers are supposed to be lights in the world.

"You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven" (Matthew 5:14-16).

A believer abiding fully in the Spirit of God has great power and impact. All believers are needed out there to spread the gospel so that people are saved. If all true believers were doing this it would make a far greater impact than changing the government. People being sanctified want to turn from evil. People being forced to change will only try to find another outlet for their evil.

The world wasn't meant to be a place of perfection. It is decaying and will end. This is a place for people to see both suffering and the good of God (that is the dichotomy) so that people have a real clear choice. It is the same choice that was in the garden of Eden. Faith in God and what he says or believing the world has something better that what God has.

Realize God's love is in the world now but one day it will be taken out. Those who believed in the perfection theory of earth and didn't get saved will one day be shocked to find out that they didn't accept God's gift of love and they will have an eternity separated from the love of God in a living hell. You only have so much time. Will it be for perfecting the earth or for bringing others to the perfection of God that is only in salvation through Jesus Christ. There is no other way.

Does not the Bible contain hundreds of examples of this? See how God dealt with nations in the Old Testament....even how He handled the corrupt governments of old Israel. Revelation is God's ultimate judgement/dealing with the governments of the world.

"I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war.12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns.He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself.13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God.14 The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean.15 Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. “He will rule them with an iron scepter.”[a] He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty." Revelation 19:11-15.

So you can learn how God handles corrupt, evil governments in the Bible. :)

I am a little baffled by the question. May be I am not understanding the question! You started asking What if Jesus saw a government treating its people poorly.. Does it mean Jesus is not seeing what is happening now? When we say God is in control of everything, He knows the smallest thing happening on this earth.. He knows what that little ant in the woods is carrying on its back.. And he knows what Obama is doing at the same time.. So I am not really sure if I understand the question

I was referring to the time he was on Earth. I understand your point entirely but I wanted to link it all back to scripture. There is not really any new scripture being written now.

If I understand the question correctly - Jesus would not be happy with the situation in ANY government on Earth now.
Revelations states rather plainly that when He returns He will rule with "an iron rod", that implies very strict rule.

There is not (from my view) a single government now that is not flagrantly corrupt.

I was referring to the time he was on Earth. I understand your point entirely but I wanted to link it all back to scripture. There is not really any new scripture being written now.

Is it possible that Christ dealt with civil authoritarian powers many times in scripture? For what was the Sanhedrin but civil authority having the power to legislate, try, judge and jail the public, which was delegated civil authority from Rome. For it was the Sadducean aristocracy that enabled the arrest to secure a Sanhedrin trial the next day. The Sanhedrin was government, a theocratic one.

Christ dealt with the Pharisees (a theocratic rabbinical/ political/ religious faction) and the Sadducee's (a theocratic/ aristocratic/ political/ religious faction) on several occasions after demonstrating rejection of civil/theocratic compulsory law (not the mosaic covenant, but current theocratic law). Also He stood in the gap for the accused, the innocent, the sinner and ultimately for the world to his death. For the government plotted against Him several times to His death.

He was no friend to government, yet in his bold stance of public moral resolve, He also would observe civil law, when it was just. Yet we also witness that at times he did submit to unjust law when He did not have to.

Yet let us be prudent to witness that Christ was not a secular political community organizer, not one to obtain secular political gain, had no secular political agenda, and never plotted a secular political revolution; for His mission was based on ethics, love and a mission of sacrifice, which will resolve to His everlasting kingdom (a perfect Monarchy with a perfect King).

Our authority as the "church" is not a carnal or physical authority, Its a moral and spiritual authority. I have ministered in the local jails for years, I never but on one occasion took a physical action to intercede on the part of any prisoner. But all the guys who knew me, new that God could move the heart of the judge unto mercy on their behalf. I could often tell the guys what sentence they would receive before they went before the judge. In this God was manifest and was believed upon, unto the salvation of many souls. I seen the anointing of God upon our local judge, and he was not what I would call a religious man, but an honest man. Im not sure how God works all these things out as it relates to our government? I know we should be a moral example and attempt to uphold New Testament principals as that which would strengthen our society. I know that God holds the heart of kings and princes in His hand and can move on behalf of His people, if He so desires.

I seen the anointing of God upon our local judge, and he was not what I would call a religious man, but an honest man.

Your ministry to those in bondage is a testament to your scriptural ambassadorship and love in the legacy of Christ.

Concerning the judge who was moved by the anointing? Is it possible that a man of faith such as yourself was the difference?

For - “The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.”

I can only imagine the difference you’ve made with many, adding to the family; for it takes dedication, bravery, love and resolve to minister in any prison.

Im not sure how God works all these things out as it relates to our government? I know we should be a moral example and attempt to uphold New Testament principals as that which would strengthen our society. I know that God holds the heart of kings and princes in His hand and can move on behalf of His people, if He so desires.

Is it possible that God will use individuals in variance though history, Christ exemplar in demonstration, who will with love stand peacefully in the gap when the law is unjust? Avoiding foolish violence, or hostile protest, but with collected resolve will simply stand in the gap with uncompromising love?

For history is covered up with violent governments who thrash the innocent, yet who stands up for the innocent in a nation regarding ethics? Shall it usually be the responding church that stands, in efforts to support just-law which separates the innocent from the despotic? Is it possible that standing in the gap as a Christian is never to be political, but instead ethical, which has political implications? It is a deadly consequence that ethics in Christ has often caused those who stand in the gap to be politically assaulted for their begin and virtuous stance when the law becomes despotic?

Is it possible to wreathing reputation, the church also has historically moved to political intentions instead of ethical intercession, which only moves to furthering organized political means in the confines of evil despotism? In wisdom can the church use ethics and prayer to move a nation to moral integrity, never using organized political means to do their bidding to legislate morality?

Back