How Did You Introduce Jesus To Small Children?

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Dear brothers and sisters;

I wanted to ask each of us, how did you introduce Jesus to your children and at what age?

In the years I have worked with children and youth leaders in the church, I don't really remember anyone sharing how they first introduced Jesus.

What were the challenges with your children or someone else's?

It would be very interesting to know and discuss.

God bless you all and your families.

What do you mean? You've never celebrated Christmas? Or done a nativity play? Jesus came as to earth as a baby...! I don't think it's hard to tell that story! Aside from miraculous birth, children get to know who Jesus is when we share stories about the miracles He did in the gospels.

I started with Christmas and then Easter and explained why we celebrated each, then told them about the life of Jesus and what it all means for those of us who believe. I talked to them around age five when I felt they could grasp the simple truths and taught them from there as their ability to understand grew as well.

What do you mean? You've never celebrated Christmas? Or done a nativity play? Jesus came as to earth as a baby...! I don't think it's hard to tell that story! Aside from miraculous birth, children get to know who Jesus is when we share stories about the miracles He did in the gospels.

Hello Lanolin;

What I mean is at and during church we have shared the celebration of Christmas, the Nativity play and sharing stories during children's ministry. These are great activities, but I'm asking how are small children introduced to Jesus, lets say, "one on one" between parent, adult and the child.

Hello Lanolin;

What I mean is at and during church we have shared the celebration of Christmas, the Nativity play and sharing stories during children's ministry. These are great activities, but I'm asking how are small children introduced to Jesus, lets say, "one on one" between parent, adult and the child.
Wouldnt the parents just read them Bible stories at bedtime? I don't know. How did your parents introduce you to Jesus?

Bob, it's not enough. We had too much warfare, powers of darkness coming against me and my children.

But God chose to touch my heart when I was four: someone taught me to pray. At age nine, someone convinced my non-Christian mother to give me a KJV Bible.

Dear brothers and sisters;

I wanted to ask each of us, how did you introduce Jesus to your children and at what age?

In the years I have worked with children and youth leaders in the church, I don't really remember anyone sharing how they first introduced Jesus.

What were the challenges with your children or someone else's?

It would be very interesting to know and discuss.

God bless you all and your families.
i have never been good with children ministry i always did the older age and i just preached

Wouldnt the parents just read them Bible stories at bedtime? I don't know. How did your parents introduce you to Jesus?

Hello Lanolin;

When I was introduced to Jesus I was dying from serious asthma @ 1 year old and 4 years old. I still remember this being so young. My late Mom had an incredible memory and I got my memory from her.

I was 1 year old and remember my parents holding me when they brought me to the hospital late one night. I was put into a crib covered with plastic and an oxygen tank. My Mom stayed in a bed next to me and I remember she came up to the crib and smiled at me. The next day I was healed.

When I was 4 years old my parents took me to the hospital and I was put into a crib covered with plastic. My Mom stayed in bed next to me but this time I remember staying for more than a day. I was healed.

When I was 5 years old I suffered from hallucinations from my parents administering too much medicine for my asthma. One night my Mom laid in bed with me and I remember she was praying. The next morning the hallucinations were gone. It was then I remember she reminded me that God healed me. But she didn't say too much because I was only 5 and all I remember is I believed her.

That is how my parents first told me about God. We also went to church every week and I remember seeing the cross but had no idea what that meant. As I got older they slowly but gradually told me about Jesus.

Years later when I was 13 years old the asthma went away.

It was the events in my young life that I experienced that God exist. But my parents never really sat me down and introduced me to Jesus.

Anyone else want to share?

The first thing I started with, before they could read, was the creation and a picture bible.
We prayed together every mornong and bedtime and sang children's hymns together.
I remember one day, when they were 4 years old, we were sat on the grass in the park. I touched the grass and asked them if they liked it. They both said yes. I said "wasn't God clever making grass" My son said that God didn't nake it, you just plant seeds and it grows. I asked where would you get the seeds from when there had never been grass before. He sat thinking about that but couldn't find an answer.
They both knew Hesus loved them, that He was their friend and all about His birth. Later I told them about all the wonderful works and attributes. By then they has a NKJV child's bible each. My daughter was stoll inable to reas but she loved her bible and took it to bed with her.
I can't remember hiw old they were when I told them about how Jesus died and why.

The first thing I started with, before they could read, was the creation and a picture bible.
We prayed together every mornong and bedtime and sang children's hymns together.
I remember one day, when they were 4 years old, we were sat on the grass in the park. I touched the grass and asked them if they liked it. They both said yes. I said "wasn't God clever making grass" My son said that God didn't nake it, you just plant seeds and it grows. I asked where would you get the seeds from when there had never been grass before. He sat thinking about that but couldn't find an answer.
They both knew Hesus loved them, that He was their friend and all about His birth. Later I told them about all the wonderful works and attributes. By then they has a NKJV child's bible each. My daughter was stoll inable to reas but she loved her bible and took it to bed with her.
I can't remember hiw old they were when I told them about how Jesus died and why.
Sorry about all the typing errors. I can hardly see anything at l today.

Sorry about all the typing errors. I can hardly see anything at l today.

Hello Cosia;

This is why I shared in another thread about forming and bonding our relationships so we can discern and understand one another.

Instead of being the English police, I understand completely what you're saying. Bottom line is I get what you posted, and the others are blessing me in this thread as well as helping me understand speaking to small children about Jesus.

Keep writing everybody, I'm prayerfully listening.

The thing with a children's book/Illustrated Bible is that, it's not in one ear and out the other and quickly forgotten. You can always go back to read a book, or just look at the pictures if you can't read yet.

You also don't need to turn on a tv or computer.

Back