how many of you considers yourself a feminist?

Dec 19, 2014
New Zealand
www.literatelibrarian.com
Yes, we are.
I think my semi-rant went over some heads. I was raising the question as to whether or not that to give that response was to neglect the question (which it can in some cases).

"Are you a man or a woman?"
"I am a Christian."

To be a Christian, first off, is most important. However, by default, we still have to be one or the other -- man or woman. The question wasn't answered.

It doesn't matter. I was merely pointing out something I've seen a lot of, but responding "I'm a Christian" as an outside option in response isn't always wrong. If someone says "Are you pro-choice or pro-life?" Responding "I'm a Christian" ought to have the person asking say "Oh, OK -- so you're pro-life."

In asking "Are you a feminist," and responding "I'm a Christian," by today's definition, it should mean the person asking would say "Oh, so you are not a feminist."
Er..i dont know what you mean by 'todays definition'. Sorry.

And Ive never had someone ask me if I was a feminist. I think ppl could tell,just by looking at me im a woman and it would be a stupid question cos all women are female. What else would we say. If you asked a man that question he'd prolly go..uh..I love my wife..does that make me a feminist?
Maybe back in the 70s it was different. Or earlier. My country eas the first to give women the vote, and many of the women who campaigned for this were christians I believe. I dont really know for sure as I wasnt there. So dont quote me on that.

If you love women, and treat them as sisters then..does that make you a feminist? I personally think it s arguing a lot over nothing.

Dec 19, 2014
New Zealand
Just remembered something. In Numbers theres this passage of how some women stood up and said the inheritance laws werent fair as they were destitute after their brothers died or were widows or something and God listened and granted them favour.

If anyone can find the passage please post it here. I recall this from a lady speaking at a christian womens conference.

Dont really get why some ppl assume christians would not be feminist if it means standing up to injustice to a womans lot in life.

Dec 19, 2014
New Zealand
Or maybe it was that they had no brothers at all.
I recall how it seemed quite unfair that there were 12 patriarchs and poor Dinah is not mentioned much after all, must be hard for her being the only girl in family of 12 brothers.

Of course, if she married according to the culture of the time, she inherits everything of her husbands..but if unmarried its likely she would always be depending on her folks. A woman does to certain extent depend on a man it is very rare that women are able to strike out completely independently. We are made from man after all. Adam was made from dust, woman from a rib close to adams heart. In Christ we are born again. but we still need to cultivate relationships with each other and love each other.

In sime political feminism it seems like some females are angry about this and think men shouldnt even exist.

Jan 18, 2015
Feminism is drastically different now than it was in the 60's and 70's. I consider myself an egalitarian, which is more encompassing, but would certainly include feminism.

Dec 19, 2014
New Zealand
Found it.
Here it is Numbers 27
Then drew near the daughters of Zelophehad, the son of Hepher, the son of Gilead, the son of Machir, the son of Manasseh, of the families of Manasseh the son of Joseph; and these are the names of his daughters: Mahlah, Noah, and Hoglah, and Milcah, and Tirzah. And they stood before Moses, and before Eleazar the priest, and before the princes and all the congregation, at the door of the tent of meeting, saying, Our father died in the wilderness, and he was not among the company of them that gathered themselves together against Jehovah in the company of Korah: but he died in his own sin; and he had no sons. Why should the name of our father be taken away from among his family, because he had no son? Give unto us a possession among the brethren of our father. (Numbers 27:1-4 ASV)

but a bit later the daughters of Zelophedhad got commanded to marry their cousins? Because their inheritance was to stay within the tribe?! Numbers chapter 36.

Jul 25, 2013
Washington, DC
Er..i dont know what you mean by 'todays definition'. Sorry.

And Ive never had someone ask me if I was a feminist. I think ppl could tell,just by looking at me im a woman and it would be a stupid question cos all women are female. What else would we say. If you asked a man that question he'd prolly go..uh..I love my wife..does that make me a feminist?
Maybe back in the 70s it was different. Or earlier. My country eas the first to give women the vote, and many of the women who campaigned for this were christians I believe. I dont really know for sure as I wasnt there. So dont quote me on that.

If you love women, and treat them as sisters then..does that make you a feminist? I personally think it s arguing a lot over nothing.
It's a loaded word and what it once meant doesn't mean the same today.

GBzone

Inactive
Nov 4, 2014
why and why not?
EVERY 'ISM' there is ; be it in the world or in the church is a grain of truth taken as the foundation to build an inverse pyramid upon it .
The bill of human rights is man turning his back on God and saying we cannot find peace with God because we can never agree with the truth . Let us all get together and agree as to what is our right and what the truth is.

The first commandment of God is though shalt love God above all .
The first commandment of man is thou shalt love thyself above all.

Thus what follows when people speak of 'equality' is simply a land grab and dog eat dog as to what one can get over your 'meighbour'
Feminism at root is rebellion against the order of God that uses the errors of men to justify the errors or women .

In Christ
gerald