How many times ?

How many times ?
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try, and try again."

"Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but Until seventy times seven."

In a couple of instances, we are told that Paul was prevented from acting as he had planned. The Holy Spirit prevented him from preaching in Asia, and also stopped him going to Rome. But he doesn't say how many times that he had tried and in what ways.

Having believed that the Holy Spirit prevented me from editing a submission to a Wiki, after three attempts in different ways, do I try to think why ?
Do I carry on trying in yet another way, or do I humbly wait to get leading in some other way, later, in God's good time ?

How many times ?
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try, and try again."

"Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but Until seventy times seven."

In a couple of instances, we are told that Paul was prevented from acting as he had planned. The Holy Spirit prevented him from preaching in Asia, and also stopped him going to Rome. But he doesn't say how many times that he had tried and in what ways.

Having believed that the Holy Spirit prevented me from editing a submission to a Wiki, after three attempts in different ways, do I try to think why ?
Do I carry on trying in yet another way, or do I humbly wait to get leading in some other way, later, in God's good time ?
I have a niggle that you already know the answer, rather you are wanting to share a lesson to the rest of us... :)

Definitely when someone is wanting forgiveness then be willing to forgive as many times as they are repenting.

In regards if you should continue and try to update the wiki. I don't know. What is God telling you to do? Be the persistent widow? Or be like Elijah and "Be still and know I am God." ?

In peace

How many times ?
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try, and try again." "Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but Until seventy times seven." In a couple of instances, we are told that Paul was prevented from acting as he had planned. The Holy Spirit prevented him from preaching in Asia, and also stopped him going to Rome. But he doesn't say how many times that he had tried and in what ways. Having believed that the Holy Spirit prevented me from editing a submission to a Wiki, after three attempts in different ways, do I try to think why ?

I have a niggle that you already know the answer, rather you are wanting to share a lesson to the rest of us... :)
In peace

Good catch, ConsiderHisAwe! lol!

Hello Smiler, its been awhile and good to see you! Thank you for stopping by and "sharing a lesson," or should we say, "challenging us for Christ?"

I have to say I'm challenged here. Before I post I'd like to ask, please elaborate your teaching by connecting try, try again with seventy times seven, when the Holy Spirit prompts us to go in another direction and the few attempts with wiki.

God bless you, Smiler, and your family.

Hello, each,
Thank you for your comments.
The " ....try, try, try again" saying is one on which I have been brought up, and is a secular attitude against disappointing failures.
The multiful forgiveness instruction by Jesus leads to repeated actions and blessings on both parties, and should be followed.

Sometimes when I feel being led to contact others with a suggestion, I assume that I am doing the right thing, until I am prevented in making the connection through a second different approach. I then change my attitude or wording and seem to get through easily. In such a case I realise that perhaps I am not starting off in the way that The Holy Spirit would lead me, and I usually come to understand why. But my unease is as to how many times should I try before obeying His leading.

I think the two examples given by ConsiderHisAwe are very appropriate.
It's nice to be missed, bobinfaith. I do come to the site every day, but only log in when moved to do so.

Blessings to all.

Hello, each,
Thank you for your comments.
The " ....try, try, try again" saying is one on which I have been brought up, and is a secular attitude against disappointing failures.
The multiful forgiveness instruction by Jesus leads to repeated actions and blessings on both parties, and should be followed.

Sometimes when I feel being led to contact others with a suggestion, I assume that I am doing the right thing, until I am prevented in making the connection through a second different approach. I then change my attitude or wording and seem to get through easily. In such a case I realise that perhaps I am not starting off in the way that The Holy Spirit would lead me, and I usually come to understand why. But my unease is as to how many times should I try before obeying His leading.

I think the two examples given by ConsiderHisAwe are very appropriate.
It's nice to be missed, bobinfaith. I do come to the site every day, but only log in when moved to do so.

Blessings to all.

Nice to see you are still with us my brother.

May I say to all of you that we only learn through "failures".

Or be like Elijah and "Be still and know I am God." ?

In such a case I realise that perhaps I am not starting off in the way that The Holy Spirit would lead me, and I usually come to understand why. But my unease is as to how many times should I try before obeying His leading.

May I say to all of you that we only learn through "failures".

Hello brothers;

I have circumstances (don't we all?) that need attention and will find myself "not being still" and getting ahead of God. Then when I feel uneasy I still go forward paying the consequences later when I could have stopped and "just listen" for God's lead.

In those moments we can always make the proper adjustments.

God bless you and thank
you, brothers, for sharing.

It's worth contemplating those times when we are not being still before God bobinfaith . Whenever things are going well, I find myself doing everything right and I feel like nothing can stop me. But when things aren't going right, that is when I lose touch of being still and just try and patch things up my way. You know what I mean?

When things are going well my prayer life is great. As soon as trouble starts to happen, I suddenly forget to rely on God and start to rely on my own understanding. This shouldn't be so!

When things aren't going well for me that is the perfect time to be still and listen to God! And when things are going great... I should STILL be still and listen to God!

Whether it be a blessing or a curse coming from the Lord, let His name be praised forever and ever. Amen?

In peace

I reckon wait for Gods timing rather than keep trying to push something cos it could be like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I dont know how many times Paul tried to go to Asia but we do know he asked God three times to remove this thorn in his side and God said my Grace is sufficent for you.

Yes, Lanolin. I've often imagined Paul trying several times to find a ship whose owner would be able to be helpful to him.
And when Paul was led to join a convenient ship, it would later seem that the Holy Spirit had arranged a shipwreck with no loss of life as a basis for praise and thanksgiving.

The ways of God are beyond our understanding.

All blessings.

Well I often wondered if when Jesus was calling his twelve apostles that it was just the first twelve men he saw or whether there was like an audition process. I mean how did he end up with Judas..?

Well I often wondered if when Jesus was calling his twelve apostles that it was just the first twelve men he saw or whether there was like an audition process. I mean how did he end up with Judas..?

There has been lots of reason given for your question.
It has been said that He was consumed by greed.
It is also been said that he was thinking Jesus was going to be a great political ruler.
It has been said that he wanted a position in the New Kingdom with power and authority.

However, it is my opinion that the reason is that Judas refused to believe that Jesus was God’s instrument, sent from heaven to save us from our sins.
In other words, he was not a saved man to begin with.

Although he had every opportunity to hear what Jesus taught and witness His miracles, in his heart Judas remained an unbeliever. Was it logical? No — but then sin never is. When we sin, we are saying that God’s promises are lies, and our way is better than His. It isn’t logical — but we still do it.

How else can we explain the Scripture in Luke 22:3...…..
“Then Satan entered into Judas called Iscariot, who was of the number of the twelve.”

IF the Holy Spirit had indwelled Judas, Satan could not have entered him.

Back