How NOT to pray

For Crossnote especially..add to the list how NOT to pray.

Use lots of vain repetitions 'Oh God Oh God Oh God'
Pray for hours and hours in front of everyone
Make a big show of praying
Pray proudly at the top of your lungs
Pray in Mary or Peter or Paul's name
Pray while holding on to bags of money
Pray after you've had a fight with your wife and ask God that you win the argument

For Crossnote especially..add to the list how NOT to pray.

Use lots of vain repetitions 'Oh God Oh God Oh God'
Pray for hours and hours in front of everyone
Make a big show of praying
Pray proudly at the top of your lungs
Pray in Mary or Peter or Paul's name
Pray while holding on to bags of money
Pray after you've had a fight with your wife and ask God that you win the argument
Best prayer ever said........"God, forgive me, I am a Sinner"!

God knows your thoughts better than you. He knows your feelings better than you. We often forget this and try to 'put a spin' on our prayers, so to speak. This is a form of self justification and it won't work.

Be like a child calling to his (her) mother. Call to God without reservation, ask that he aid you in however you desire (Matthew 21:22), but more than that ask that he hear you and that you hear him.

Trust that God loves you and is actively working toward your greatest good, even if that is hard to accept in your current situation. Remember that we are deaf, dumb and blind when compared to God's infinity, but our relative smallness does not demean us. No, just the opposite. That God in his infinity loves us shows just how good and compassionate God is, that he would lift up someone so small and care for us so greatly.

The love you feel for your precious child on the day of his birth pales in comparison to the love that God feels for you right now. Prayer is the beginning of acceptance of this basic fact.

Something I heard from Pastor Hagee.
God wants to hear from you. If you only pray when you are in trouble, then God might just keep you in trouble.
So pray in the good times too.

i talk /pray to the Lord off and on through out the day. there is no certain way other than in Jesus name. the Bible says let us approach the thrown of grace with Boldness. do i get answers the way i would like? no but i keep knocking seeking asking. i enter in to my prayer closet alot driving down the road. psalmist says evening morning and noon to pray

hindrances to prayer. Below is a list of seven.

1. Personal known sin in the believer’s life
    “If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me” (Psalm 66:18).
  2. Strained relationships between husbands and wives
    “Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered” (1 Peter 3:7).
  3. Unreconciled wrongs, debts, or offenses between Christian brothers and sisters.
    “Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift” (Matthew 5:23–24).
  4. An unforgiving or bitter spirit
    “Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven” (Matthew 18:21–22).
    “And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you” (Ephesians 4:32).
  5. The sin of covetousness
    “From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts” (James 4:1–3).
  6. Neglect and indifference to the Word of God
    “He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination” (Proverbs 28:9).
  7. Prayerlessness itself
    “Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and the right way” (1 Samuel 12:23).

Back