How Should Us Christians Follow God's Orders?

I have consulted with many of my Christian brothers and sisters about obeying God, and the general consensus is that if you aren't doing it out of love, you may as well not be doing it at all.

Corinthians 13:1-3
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of a prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Something is still wrong in my walk with God though. I find that I have little room for love in my heart for God or anyone else (except perhaps for my wife and a few other treasured people). It's not that I want it that way, but despite my prayers and attempts to be loving, the feelings just aren't there. I guess what I really want to know is this:
a). Should I continue to serve other people, even though it's not born out of love?
and
b). What must I do to kindle feelings of love towards God and people, so that my acts of servitude aren't fake anymore?

As a side note, I fervently pray to God almost every day, asking Him to change my heart. I've been praying for a long time, but my problem seems to be getting worse, and I'm beginning to despair.

Thank you everyone who decides to respond. God bless.

In my opinion:

Love is similar to courage: an act regardless of feelings of fear….
If there is no fear: it is not courage at all.

That is: If we Love because we love (feelings) the person: we just do as the Gentiles do….

Related verses:

1 Peter 4:11
We do things because of our ability from God.

Matthew 22:36-40
The sum of the Law and the Prophets;
How to do the 1st is how to do the 2nd.

Matthew 5:44
Love your enemy.
If Love is a feeling, it is difficult if not impossible to do.
If Love is an action, it is possible.
If we Love because we love (feelings) the person: we just do as the Gentiles do….

Conclusion:
Love is an action, not merely feelings.
We act, regardless of feelings.

1 Kings 19: 11 The Lord said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.”
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.

Mark 4:39 Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm.

So many times we are so disappointed we do not hear God talking to us, we feel abandoned and just going thru the motions, as you probably feel God-be-with-you, yet maybe we are just not listening to His voice whether directly speaking to us or in our heart. You feel you are just going thru the motions, you pray everyday, your actions spell love but the feeling is not in your heart... at times God gives us trials to sharpen us in our days on earth. There was a saint, sorry i don't remember her name, a nun who was very pious and whom at first would hear Christ/God talking to her then all of sudden nothing, just like that, nothing for the next 20 0r 25 years... till one day Christ/God appeared to her and spoke to her again. She also went thru the motions, the prayers, the serving of others, but she wanted so much to feel and hear God... and she did eventually.

Mark 4:39 teaches us that we have a lot of chatter, we are inundated with thoughts and all kinds of chatter we do daily every minute which stops us from hearing Him... Christ said "Peace, be still..." we should learn to be still and listen to that little voice as Elijah did and heard God, but the strong wind and thunder was not God. Be patient, keep on doing what you are doing and never give up nor get discouraged for God will eventually whisper in your ear... <><

Maybe one of the problems here is that you're expecting the "love" you feel for a stranger in need to be the same "love" you feel for those closest to you (family). IMO, that's an unreasonable expectation and is bound to lead you to think there's something wrong with you.

When I do ministry work with people I don't know, I feel compassion, empathy, and concern for them. Put that all together and it's a type of "love". But it's nothing like the love I feel for the important people in my life. And I don't expect it to be.

Maybe you should think about it from that angle.

I heard a sermon not too long ago that described how we 'love' or become examples of Christ. In all things it starts with obedience to God-Step 1: we 'love' by commandment.

As we progress in our walk we learn to not only 'obey' but to serve with step #2: desire to please the Lord while obeying...

And we reach our pinnacle as we become closer to Christ adding step #3: passion to serve others.

All three steps are related, but improve with growth. Sometimes we have get stuck at step #1, or step #2 but if we allow ourselves to reach step #3-we can see God working.

So I would say; by all means serve out of obedience when all else fails: 'love on another as I have loved you'; 'if you love me, obey my commandments'- Jesus Christ.

You can't go wrong if you are serving Christ in obedience; the heart will follow if you let the Holy Spirit guide you.

Obey always, desire to please the Lord, have passion in Spirit...

I think RiverJordan has it right. Too many folks get caught up in terms thinking they describe feelings, when it is actions that are important.
No amount of "feeling love" for the poor will do them any good, if you feed and clothe them you are being loving to them.
Whether you actually "like" or "feel" any "warm and fuzzies" is immaterial.

In my opinion:

Love is similar to courage: an act regardless of feelings of fear….
If there is no fear: it is not courage at all.

That is: If we Love because we love (feelings) the person: we just do as the Gentiles do….

Related verses:

1 Peter 4:11
We do things because of our ability from God.

Matthew 22:36-40
The sum of the Law and the Prophets;
How to do the 1st is how to do the 2nd.

Matthew 5:44
Love your enemy.
If Love is a feeling, it is difficult if not impossible to do.
If Love is an action, it is possible.
If we Love because we love (feelings) the person: we just do as the Gentiles do….

Conclusion:
Love is an action, not merely feelings.
We act, regardless of feelings.

Thank you Aha. Your answer has helped me immeasureably. I believe you're right.

1 Kings 19: 11 The Lord said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.”
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.

Mark 4:39 Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm.

So many times we are so disappointed we do not hear God talking to us, we feel abandoned and just going thru the motions, as you probably feel God-be-with-you, yet maybe we are just not listening to His voice whether directly speaking to us or in our heart. You feel you are just going thru the motions, you pray everyday, your actions spell love but the feeling is not in your heart... at times God gives us trials to sharpen us in our days on earth. There was a saint, sorry i don't remember her name, a nun who was very pious and whom at first would hear Christ/God talking to her then all of sudden nothing, just like that, nothing for the next 20 0r 25 years... till one day Christ/God appeared to her and spoke to her again. She also went thru the motions, the prayers, the serving of others, but she wanted so much to feel and hear God... and she did eventually.

Mark 4:39 teaches us that we have a lot of chatter, we are inundated with thoughts and all kinds of chatter we do daily every minute which stops us from hearing Him... Christ said "Peace, be still..." we should learn to be still and listen to that little voice as Elijah did and heard God, but the strong wind and thunder was not God. Be patient, keep on doing what you are doing and never give up nor get discouraged for God will eventually whisper in your ear... <><

Thanks RosaVera! Your answer helps me as well. I plan to work through the chatter until I can hear God's whisper.

Maybe one of the problems here is that you're expecting the "love" you feel for a stranger in need to be the same "love" you feel for those closest to you (family). IMO, that's an unreasonable expectation and is bound to lead you to think there's something wrong with you.

When I do ministry work with people I don't know, I feel compassion, empathy, and concern for them. Put that all together and it's a type of "love". But it's nothing like the love I feel for the important people in my life. And I don't expect it to be.

Maybe you should think about it from that angle.

Thanks RiverJordan. I agree.

I heard a sermon not too long ago that described how we 'love' or become examples of Christ. In all things it starts with obedience to God-Step 1: we 'love' by commandment.

As we progress in our walk we learn to not only 'obey' but to serve with step #2: desire to please the Lord while obeying...

And we reach our pinnacle as we become closer to Christ adding step #3: passion to serve others.

All three steps are related, but improve with growth. Sometimes we have get stuck at step #1, or step #2 but if we allow ourselves to reach step #3-we can see God working.

So I would say; by all means serve out of obedience when all else fails: 'love on another as I have loved you'; 'if you love me, obey my commandments'- Jesus Christ.

You can't go wrong if you are serving Christ in obedience; the heart will follow if you let the Holy Spirit guide you.

Obey always, desire to please the Lord, have passion in Spirit...

I think you're right Brother_Mike_V. It's encouraging to think that I might be able to reach that third stage one day.

I think RiverJordan has it right. Too many folks get caught up in terms thinking they describe feelings, when it is actions that are important.
No amount of "feeling love" for the poor will do them any good, if you feed and clothe them you are being loving to them.
Whether you actually "like" or "feel" any "warm and fuzzies" is immaterial.
Thanks Glomung! I agree.

I have consulted with many of my Christian brothers and sisters about obeying God, and the general consensus is that if you aren't doing it out of love, you may as well not be doing it at all.
Cart before the horse. Doing good things is in our nature. An apple tree bears apples.

No selfess action can be done if our hearts are wrong. Hence scripture like James 1:27.

What is your recommendation then, KingJ?

Examine yourself that you are still in the faith / Jesus is still on the throne and if not, re-kindle your relationship with Him / put Him back on the throne.

1 Cor 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates.

Heb 12:2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2 Tim 1:6 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. (Keep your fire for the Lord alive)

Rev 2:2-5 I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked people, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. 3 You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary. 4 Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first. 5 Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place.

Rev 2 is very interesting indeed! It speaks to me of the difference between dead and living works.

a) Should I continue to serve other people, even though it's not born out of love
Helping others seflessly can't be from any source other then love. That needs to sink in. Likewise not heping others has its roots in selfishness and pride.

Think of your wife. There are things you do for her that are simply to make her smile (mowing lawn, washing dishes) and then things that you do to keep your marriage (avoid adultery). So what ever you are currently doing, you and only you can really gauge the level of rebellion that not doing them shows to your commitment to Jesus. Remember Psalm 37:23 The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him. and Eph 2:10 For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

b). What must I do to kindle feelings of love towards God and people, so that my acts of servitude aren't fake anymore?
As Heb 12:2 says, focus on Jesus first. Not other people or the works you do. Spend quite time with Him in prayer and studying scripture. Then listen to Paul in Phil 12:2 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling. Jesus taught us to turn the left cheek. If we don't we are defying Him, how do we justify ourself before Him? He taught us to feed our enemy, if we don't how do we justify ourself to Him? He taught to love our neighbour as ourself, if we don't...

Last edited:

if you are obeying not out of love, what other reason is there ???
obeying to save your hide ???
that is ego ..
as well as that means you are not going to get there anyway ..

your brethren are PARTIALLY correct ..
if you do not do it out of love for God, BY THE TIME YOU DIE you are wasting your time .. HOWEVER, I would suggest OBEYING God until, you get to know Him ..
once you get to know Him, you can't but help loving Him, and you will NOT get to know God if you do not obey Him first ..

Luk 10:25 And a lawyer stood up and put Him to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
Luk 10:26 And He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?”
Luk 10:27 And he answered, “YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.”
Luk 10:28 And He said to him, “You have answered correctly; DO THIS AND YOU WILL LIVE.”

btw: don't forget loving your neighbor as well ..
as you see in Matthew chapter 7 & 25, that will exclude you as well ..

may God bless you, and teach you in all His ways ..

Thanks RosaVera! Your answer helps me as well. I plan to work through the chatter until I can hear God's whisper.

she is absolutely correct ..
like any personal relation ..
you need a lot of one on one time if you want it to grow ..
and you will hear more then a whisper ..

Last edited:
Back