how to discern the spirit

smellycat

Account Closed
how to discern the spirit

when people talk to you,ie spirit talks through people,how do you know if it,s God or satan.personally i have had a spirit talk to me through a line of people,as if the spirit jumps from person to person.have any of you had any likewise encounters.?i presumed it was satan talking to me,but could it have been 1 of his demons.?i know satan flees away and cannot enter us when Christ is with us.i think too many people these days get tricked and follow orders so to speak.also not much is talked about,of this spirit war.?

If the spirit says anything that is goes against what the bible says, then we know immediately that it is not the Spirit of God. That's why it's important to study the bible, so we know what it does say.:)

"Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognise the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the anichrist." 1 John 4:1-3

A true prophet speaks from God being led by the Holy Spirit (2 Pet. 1:21). False prophets in the days of the N.T. were often Gnostics who spoke under the influence of spirits alienated from God. Our Lord warned against false prophets in Mt. 7:15 and 24:11 and so did Paul in 1 Tim.4:1 and Peter in 2 Peter 2:1.

To acknowledge Jesus as Lord is more than intellectual knowledge for the demons know and shudder (James 2:19), but to confess Jesus as Lord publicly. The Gnostics taught that the Lord Jesus was born as an ordinary human but that divinity came upon him at his baptism and then left him at the cross, so that it was only as a man that Jesus died.

There are some sects today that hold beliefs not unlike the Gnostics - so beware!!

God bless us as we learn together.

I just know

when people talk to you,ie spirit talks through people,how do you know if it,s God or satan.
Sometimes I just know, have a feeling or have experienced the situation or person before. Sometimes I know the person and what they are. sometimes I have to make an effort to discern the nature of the spirit that has shown itself to me.
Discernment, involves going to the scriptures or reliance on some one I know and or the Holy Spirit or all of the above.
personally i have had a spirit talk to me through a line of people,as if the spirit jumps from person to person.
I have had this experience before, though not often. I have had strangers and those close to me show the spirit of God and Satan as well.
A strong demonic or Satanic presence often reveils itself to the point were little or no discernment is needed, as does the Holy Spirit most of the time.
When discerning the spirit ,the one test that has consistantly proven true (for me) is that those not of Christ will not say or indicate in writing or otherwise the simple phrase "Jesus is LORD".
While most are open about their belief some are deliberate deceivers. Hinting that they are of Christ but never realy saying it and beguiling and questioning biblical precepts in and effort to make one question God and/or their relationship with HIM. Few are directly confrontational.
not much is talked about,of this spirit war.?
That is because if one resides in Jesus and Jesus in them there is little to be seen or heard from Satan or demons except that our Father in heaven allows it for our benifit.
Sincerely
His
Cliff

Sometimes I just know, have a feeling or have experienced the situation or person before. Sometimes I know the person and what they are. sometimes I have to make an effort to discern the nature of the spirit that has shown itself to me.
Discernment, involves going to the scriptures or reliance on some one I know and or the Holy Spirit or all of the above.

I have had this experience before, though not often. I have had strangers and those close to me show the spirit of God and Satan as well.
A strong demonic or Satanic presence often reveils itself to the point were little or no discernment is needed, as does the Holy Spirit most of the time.
When discerning the spirit ,the one test that has consistantly proven true (for me) is that those not of Christ will not say or indicate in writing or otherwise the simple phrase "Jesus is LORD".
While most are open about their belief some are deliberate deceivers. Hinting that they are of Christ but never realy saying it and beguiling and questioning biblical precepts in and effort to make one question God and/or their relationship with HIM. Few are directly confrontational.
That is because if one resides in Jesus and Jesus in them there is little to be seen or heard from Satan or demons except that our Father in heaven allows it for our benifit.
Sincerely
His
Cliff

Thank you for that Brother. Very good post indeed!

I agree that anyone not of Christ would have a hard time admitting that Jesus is Lord, even if they wanted to, to fool you.

I enjoyed reading this. Thank you.

Blessings, Cheri :jesus-sign:

Great question, smelly cat! :)

I think that there are three sources: the person can be speaking from the flesh (that is his or her own natural inclinations, thus called the "flesh."); from the Spirit of God ( the Holy Spirit within), or from the enemy's influence on them..thus a wrongful spirit from within them.

If it is the enemy he can disquise himself as an "angel of light" and be very interesting and appealing at first and even hard to recognize as evil. He can even quote scriptures and does that quite well; but his suggestions and directions do not lead to peace..they lead to some kind of sin and self destructive behavior.

So, when I hear something which I question..I immediately line up what is said with what I know is in the scriptures and I pray that I can discern rightly.

And I remember and take courage because I know that Satan is a defeated and rebellious foe who Jesus defeated when He died on the cross. Yet Satan's plan is to bring anyone he can down with him in his defeat and rebellion against God. The thing is to recognize him and his tricks, temptations, and modus operati. (way of operating). It can take much prayer and experience..but we are equipped in Christ to withstand and see through Satan's efforts.

I found Ephesians 6:10-17 excellent for showing how to put on the whole armour of Christ against the attacks of the enemy.

:bible: "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. " (Ephesians 6: 10-17, NIV)

peace and blessings..:jesus-cross:

Great question, smelly cat! :)

I think that there are three sources: the person can be speaking from the flesh (that is his or her own natural inclinations, thus called the "flesh."); from the Spirit of God ( the Holy Spirit within), or from the enemy's influence on them..thus a wrongful spirit from within them.

If it is the enemy he can disquise himself as an "angel of light" and be very interesting and appealing at first and even hard to recognize as evil. He can even quote scriptures and does that quite well; but his suggestions and directions do not lead to peace..they lead to some kind of sin and self destructive behavior.

So, when I hear something which I question..I immediately line up what is said with what I know is in the scriptures and I pray that I can discern rightly.

And I remember and take courage because I know that Satan is a defeated and rebellious foe who Jesus defeated when He died on the cross. Yet Satan's plan is to bring anyone he can down with him in his defeat and rebellion against God. The thing is to recognize Him and His tricks, temptations, and modus operati. (way of operating). It can take much prayer and experience..but we are equipped in Christ to withstand and see through Satan's efforts.

I found Ephesians 6:10-17 excellent for showing how to put on the whole armour of Christ against the attacks of the enemy.

:bible: "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. " (Ephesians 6: 10-17, NIV)

peace and blessings..:jesus-cross:

:goodpost:

Another very good post Deborah. That's what I love about this forum. It is an excellent place for one to be who is learning how to live for the Lord.

Thank you for sharing that,

Cheri

when people talk to you,ie spirit talks through people,how do you know if it,s God or satan.personally i have had a spirit talk to me through a line of people,as if the spirit jumps from person to person.have any of you had any likewise encounters.?i presumed it was satan talking to me,but could it have been 1 of his demons.?i know satan flees away and cannot enter us when Christ is with us.i think too many people these days get tricked and follow orders so to speak.also not much is talked about,of this spirit war.?

Subject all things to scripture!

However, there in one prerequisite. You must first read scripture (God's word).

If you:

1. have not the desire
  2. find it to be boring
  3. do not understand it
  4. have not the time to read
Do this:

Matthew 7:7-11. Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

This I know to be true!

Good Day and God Bless

He can even quote scriptures and does that quite well;

Hi Deborah, yes I agree that he can quote scriptures but I don't think he could do that very well. Remember the temptation of Jesus?

And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God

Satan quoted scripture but it was obvious he didn't know what it meant. He was not aware of the verse that our Lord Jesus quoted. If the enemy was good w/ the bible, he would have quoted something else.

No, the enemy is terrible w/ scriptures. In fact:

And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.

Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand
Dan 12:10

The Bible is a closed book to the wicked. They wouldn't understand it.

we need to save all people from satan,people don,t realise the war they are involved in.some others know exactly the war they are in and try to break us.:eek:

Back