How to trust in God when my whole life is motivated by fear?

Hi guys,

How can I trust in God when my life is motivated by fear? Either I'm impatient on waiting on him or I'm too afraid to let him direct my life. I always had to struggle since childhood and it has come with much pain. I don't even have any self confidence or much trust in myself. I don't know much about feeling loved, I don't feel loved, I feel fear. I don't have trust in Him. I want to.. My other issue is I only come to God when I feel afraid, when I'm stuck in a hole, but when I have mutual days I don't praise him or come to him. I end up coming to him when it's convenient and I know that's wrong.

Also anytime I read the word, I get nowhere. I read and read but It feels like I'm mindlessly reading, what are you supposed to do when reading these words? How do you meditate on these words?

Does anyone have any advice?

God bless.

Hi pure believer,

The first thing I would recommend is to find some peace. Tell yourself that you refuse to fear, and don't worry about what the situation is when your coming to Him... He rejoices that your coming to Him period.. and puts no pressure or guilt trip on you when you do. He is glad that when you need Him the most that you find His comfort/arms the One that your running into.

My next suggestion is read 1 John and any other Scripture about his love over and over... Romans 8:38-39 is also a good one..... till your mind is able to grasp how much your loved by The Father.

Allow yourself to relax and just enjoy the Bible like you would a good book. Read as much as you can and before you read.. ask the Holy Spirit to speak to you through His Word... this helps a lot. And when those negative thoughts come full of pressure and condemnation... tell them to take a hike.. your not listening to them. For its just the devil, trying to discourage you in spending time with your Lord.

And don't worry about the rest. Yes we all need to practice certain things... but the main purpose of spending time in the Word is to connect with Father. He has no preconceived rules that say if your not spending time with Him.. He's gonna get you or strike you down with a lightning bolt (that was zeus... lol).

He knows how to speak to you and how to motivate you and empower you to do what pleases Him... but your putting so much pressure on yourself that it sounds like it has become a chore.

Blessings

Well, some advice.
GOd gives us a picture we can understand of Him as the good shepherd looking after his sheep. I dont know if you know much about sheep and shepherds. In the bible Jesus tells us the good shepherd goes after the one sheep that goes astray, he leaves the 99 and goes after the one thats fallen down the hole.
Well what were the other 99 sheep what were they doing while the good shepherd was rescuing the lost sheep? i think they were sticking close together and eating yummy grass. Maybe you think sheep are mindlessly eating grass, but they arent like lawnmowers going up and down just getting the grass down to a certain height I think they are enjoying the grass!

Question for you what are you reading in the Bible at the moment? Have you read all of it yet? Are there any stories you like the most? God gives us His word in the Bible for us to enjoy. Remember He loves you to go after you when you fallen down that hole.

I believe you summed up the whole problem when you said you don't feel loved. Love casts out fear. Naturally speaking a person could help themself by being a good friend to a significant other and it will return to you which would do a lot to your sense of well being. Spiritually - the Word says that the land is yours go take it - but you will have to fight for every inch of ground. Remember Jacob's battle - he hung on until - and that is what you must do.

blind-faith."
Ohhh I hate that phrase!!
Faith Ain't Blind. Faith knows where it is going or doing.

What some call blind faith would be more political correct by saying.....i stepped out in Foolishness and called it Faith.

My Brother Gambit this Reply is NOT DIRECTED at you or anything you said.

Just voicing something I got CORRECTED on and decided to use this opportunity to Make it Seen.

Blessings to you

I appreciate your honesty. Many people associate honesty with vulnerability. How is that? I'm only vulnerable if the people that I disclose my soul to, intend to exploit what I've told them. But obviously you feel comfortable with sharing your fears. When I was first granted Salvation in 1999 something amazing happened besides the obvious. I became overly bold and found myself dealing with fear in areas, only because I shouldn't have ventured to the place that I did, in what many people call "blind-faith." (That's a stand-alone issue within itself) As I matured, which happened with my progression in the area of obedience I found myself less fearful. It's one thing to learn all of the scriptures on fear and then to use them as a spiritual-shield, against the fear that we might feel when we're disobedient, in contrast to learning those scriptures and remaining obedient Under Grace. The Holy Spirit communicates to each of us differently; by that I mean to say that with me, I've had times where I felt that the Holy Spirit put fear on me to alert me, to not do a specific thing. One time I was going to take a female friend of mine on a tour of a masonic lodge. I thought that it would be alright in the sense that it would educate us both; but as we got maybe a block away from the lodge I became afraid in my spirit and canceled the tour. I'm not trying to insinuate that you are dealing with fear because you're being disobedient; I'm merely naming one root-cause that brings about that "symptom." But we can't always trust symptoms because the enemy can try to pour a spirit of fear on us; it might be from the enemy. In Revelation it says that in the last days the spirit of Sodom and Egypt would function over Jerusalem: so evil spirits can definitely be used to attack us. As far as "going in deep with scripture," it's complicated because on the one hand you have the leading of the spirit that will guide you to certain scriptures, but then we must learn to mature to the degree where we can discern where we need to go. When you're famished you know your taste buds and what you delight in; but with scripture there are places that can actually zero-in on your situation and teleport you (spiritually speaking) into the spiritual dimension that resides beneath your situation. Why do preachers, when facing a great challenge or when they feel that their congregation is confronted with one, preach or teach on David and Goliath? The answer is because that passage of scripture is a biblical, historical narrative but it's also a spiritual embodiment of the dynamics that people face when confronted with great challenges, danger and spiritual warfare. The key is to not give up and quit, but to rather fight your way through on this path and faith walk, which you are doing, obviously, by being open about your situation and asking for help.

Amen Brother,
It won't take long to grasp that it is very unwise to ignore that check in your Spirit.
That Check or uneasy feeling has literally saved my life many times.

One time it kept me out of a car where all of them were hit and killed by a train.
So many more Times as well.
Blessings to you

Back